• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

I hadn't heard until today that Jamie blamed his ineffectiveness in the Virginia Tech game on his receivers. Not a good look for him.

His quotes after the game were horrible. Absolutely acted above the everybody else. Wish I would’ve seen these earlier.

Yep, Jamie was so selfish that he allowed himself get the shit kicked out of him while he tried to win the game. Saying he was selfish not saying anything (if he had decided before his beating) is bizarre and inane.

No it’s not. If I’m the coach and know my QB is going to jump ship in 3 days, no way does he play in the game. Clawson had a right to know. I doubt he is happy about the deception.

Great receivers made Newman look better than he was. Without them, he was very average and awful at times. Surratt and Bachman made incredible catches at the end of games at both State and Birmingham last year. Washington made a great catch at Birmingham. Surratt and Washington made a ton of great catches on long 50/50 balls before they were injured this year. Hinton made an incredible catch on the last play vs Utah St. (Just think what Riley Skinner would have accomplished with Surratt, Bachman, Hinton and Washington). It’s fucked up that he complained about the receivers at VT.

Great receivers made Newman look better than he was. Without them, he was very average and awful at times. Surratt and Bachman made incredible catches at the end of games at both State and Birmingham last year. Washington made a great catch at Birmingham. Surratt and Washington made a ton of great catches on long 50/50 balls before they were injured this year. Hinton made an incredible catch on the last play vs Utah St. (Just think what Riley Skinner would have accomplished with Surratt, Bachman, Hinton and Washington). It’s fucked up that he complained about the receivers at VT.

Lame take.

https://247sports.com/college/wake-forest/Article/Reflections-on-Newmans-decision-141514868/

Asked about being a touch off on passes to Kendall Hinton and Sage Surratt in the loss at Virginia Tech, Newman answered, “Nah. I don’t think I was a touch off. I just think sometimes those guys have to make plays. I’m not going to be able to throw a perfect ball every time. Sometimes guys just have to make plays for you.

Wow what a shitty answer. Shows you he has his head up his own ass. He thinks he's the next cam Newton and will go to a big time football school and be the starter. I personally think he will struggle

Yep. Sage and Boogie returning far outweigh the negative (if there will even be any) of Newman leaving. This won't change our offensive output if any. The real issue lies on defense clearly. How do we replace Strnad, Amari, and Essang? Scary holes in the back end of the defense.

https://247sports.com/college/wake-forest/Article/Reflections-on-Newmans-decision-141514868/

Asked about being a touch off on passes to Kendall Hinton and Sage Surratt in the loss at Virginia Tech, Newman answered, “Nah. I don’t think I was a touch off. I just think sometimes those guys have to make plays. I’m not going to be able to throw a perfect ball every time. Sometimes guys just have to make plays for you.

that's a disappointing answer

thanks for sharing

So wow, a 22 year old kid says something mildly lame. Big shocker.

Eating our own is not a good luck IMO.

While I can agree that keeping Surratt and Boogie with Hartman not just ready, but chomping at the fucking bit, to be THE guy - is a better outlook than losing Surratt and Boogie and keeping Newman for his senior year. However, there is no denying that Newman was awesome across 10+ games - from the State game in 2018 thru the State game 2019. Without him, we aren't in a bowl game in 2018 and we aren't 5-0 going into the Louisville game.

We will be more than fine with Hartman and Kern next year. In fact, I am looking forward to it, but I will miss Newman, just as I will Scotty Washington and Cade Carney. For me, it is the same thing. Newman graduated, end of story. He also likely made Hartman a better QB due to the competition they have had since Hartman stepped on campus.

I think Newman was always looking at this as means to an end which is post college success first hopefully as a pro athlete and next in something else. Hartman is more in this for the glory and excitement. He assumes post college success. There's a difference between the two. It IS a bit of a race thing I think, but also not. Newman was here for 2 1/2 or 3 years before he took a meaningful snap. There was no pro future for him at all until maybe after our bowl victory over Memphis a year ago. Now, it has presented itself. He leaning into it. Hartman had success three months into being on campus in our first game his true frosh year against Tulane. There is a difference between those two stories that has obviously nothing to do with race at all.

That is a disappointing answer. I would expect a high school QB to accept the responsibility that goes with being QB and not to blame his inefficiency on his teammates. That is even more true of a college graduate! If this reflects his consistent attitude, the team is better off if he finishes his career elsewhere. BTW, has anyone compared the high school careers of Newman and Hartman?

Lame take.

Agree with 22 here - Newman got bailed out a lot with fantastic WR play. Thus Jamie's quote - Bachman, Surratt, Washington made plays for him.

Newman shouldn't have said what he did, but he was frustrated, beaten up and had just lost a game. You guys are looking for any reason to slam him.

So sadly predictable.

That is a disappointing answer. I would expect a high school QB to accept the responsibility that goes with being QB and not to blame his inefficiency on his teammates. That is even more true of a college graduate! If this reflects his consistent attitude, the team is better off if he finishes his career elsewhere. BTW, has anyone compared the high school careers of Newman and Hartman?

Sometimes the truth is best kept in private. Yes it's true that receivers need to make plays and the QB is not going to throw perfect balls every time and if a receiver gets his hands on the ball, even if it is little off, they need to catch it more often or not. However, that is not something that needs to be said, especially in public. Sounds like to me, Jamie started getting the big head.

At the end of the day Wake will be fine with Hartman running the show. Bigger concerns on offense: can Walker, CBS, etc. do the little things that Carney did to help the team win? Not breaking big runs, but the little things in passing downs and special teams. Can the OT's step up and play like our OTs have been the past few years?

Defense is more worrisome. It would help if Wake landed a stud CB grad transfer that can lock down one side of the field. A speedy LB who can run sideline to sideline would also help. Guys like that don't grow on trees. DLine and Safeties should be ok.

Newman shouldn't have said what he did, but he was frustrated, beaten up and had just lost a game. You guys are looking for any reason to slam him.

So sadly predictable.

It appears he looked for a reason to slam his 2 1000 yard WR’s. If we had a poor receiving core who consistently dropped passes then I could see his frustration, but to complain when you have Surratt and Kendall is a bad excuse.

All the "poor Newman got beaten up" stuff is so overboard. He got sacked 22 times this year, Oregon gave up 24 sacks on Herbert for comparison, and a couple years ago he broke his shoulder and missed half a season. Hartman didn't get sacked once in his four games this year. Sure, the RPO likely means you get hit more as a QB, but Newman looks for contact. Half the time he initiates it. I doubt he's ever slid in his life and he never ducks out of bounds.

Newman wants to play for a ranked team in front of huge crowds and increase his exposure for the NFL? Good luck to him and I hope he's successful. This "poor Jamie had to suffer injuries because Wake has no OLine junk" is classic LOWF nonsense though, living in a past where Wake gave up 40 or 50 sacks and lost 10 games a year.

If Newman plays next year like he did here he'll be just as likely to jack up that shoulder again regardless of how highly his team is ranked.

At the end of the day Wake will be fine with Hartman running the show. Bigger concerns on offense: can Walker, CBS, etc. do the little things that Carney did to help the team win? Not breaking big runs, but the little things in passing downs and special teams. Can the OT's step up and play like our OTs have been the past few years?

Defense is more worrisome. It would help if Wake landed a stud CB grad transfer that can lock down one side of the field. A speedy LB who can run sideline to sideline would also help. Guys like that don't grow on trees. DLine and Safeties should be ok.

Starting safeties yes. Backups were pretty shaky.

So wow, a 22 year old kid says something mildly lame. Big shocker.

Eating our own is not a good luck IMO.

Agreed. I understand being upset or disappointed Jamie won't be back. I am disappointed too. However, digging through post-game quotes you don't agree with or finding other reasons to trash him is a bad look IMO.

Back