• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

All the "poor Newman got beaten up" stuff is so overboard. He got sacked 22 times this year, Oregon gave up 24 sacks on Herbert for comparison, and a couple years ago he broke his shoulder and missed half a season. Hartman didn't get sacked once in his four games this year. Sure, the RPO likely means you get hit more as a QB, but Newman looks for contact. Half the time he initiates it. I doubt he's ever slid in his life and he never ducks out of bounds.

Newman wants to play for a ranked team in front of huge crowds and increase his exposure for the NFL? Good luck to him and I hope he's successful. This "poor Jamie had to suffer injuries because Wake has no OLine junk" is classic LOWF nonsense though, living in a past where Wake gave up 40 or 50 sacks and lost 10 games a year.

If Newman plays next year like he did here he'll be just as likely to jack up that shoulder again regardless of how highly his team is ranked.

It's not just sacks. It's the play design.

It's ironic that you say he initiates contact while some others post e is slacking.

It has nothing to do with where his team is ranked. It's about the position his coach puts him in their scheme.

Starting safeties yes. Backups were pretty shaky.

This is Wake Forest forever. Front line guys are mostly completed developmental projects and play well. Backups are developmental projects still in need of more reps in practice to become game ready. That is, Wake doesn't have game ready depth.

When Strnad and Masterson were injured, the defense became less good because the backups weren't really game ready. They did what they could.

Likewise, the offense really suffered when Surratt and Washington were injured. Much easier for teams to take away Kendall Hinton when they don't have to worry about Scotty and/or Sage torching them.

It is, but if you want to change it to hypocritical, feel free.

It is, but if you want to change it to hypocritical, feel free.

It's not hypocritical either. It is two guys with differing opinions. Further, no one said he was slacking, they said it was selfish to not let the team know he was leaving early.

Fuck that! We don't want players who quit on their other team, no matter how good they are !!!!111!1 :tard:

The difference, you dumb fuck, is that the hypothetical CB doesn't throw the coaches who developed him under the bus as he leaves, for not developing him enough. Also, the hypothetical CB may not be playing close to home (Jamie is), may not be at a school with good academics for a grad degree (Jamie is), may not have all his best skill players around him coming back (Jamie has a few), may not be in the best system for him (Jamie is), etc.. Jamie left a good situation, seemingly with no plan unless he was tampered with, and threw the people who made him successful under the bus on Twitter. I have no problem with grad transfers, I have a problem with a guy who leaves Wake when he is probably in the best situation he can be in, just to shit on Wake because he thinks he can do better.

Add to that it was so close after the bowl loss without really talking to any coaches about it before he announced. Keep making generalized analysis instead of understanding individual situations, I'm sure it makes you super successful in life.

Has anyone announced whether Hartman is keeping his mustache?

Agreed. I understand being upset or disappointed Jamie won't be back. I am disappointed too. However, digging through post-game quotes you don't agree with or finding other reasons to trash him is a bad look IMO.

Les included that quote in his 247 story about Newman leaving. Nobody dug it up.

It's not just sacks. It's the play design.

It's ironic that you say he initiates contact while some others post e is slacking.

It has nothing to do with where his team is ranked. It's about the position his coach puts him in their scheme.
Wolford is the guy who got beaten up for three years while his OL matured. He never complained about his less talented receivers. With a solid OL and good receivers, he had a record setting senior year while running the ball as much as Newman. Wolford didn’t have the physical ability or size of Newman but he was smart and tough enough to thrive in Clawson’s offense. So stop blaming the offensive scheme for poor Jamie’s bumps and bruises. College football is a very violent game and the NFL is much more so. If he’s leaving because of the offense, he’s a big pussy.

Wolford is the guy who got beaten up for three years while his OL matured. He never complained about his less talented receivers. With a solid OL and good receivers, he had a record setting senior year while running the ball as much as Newman. Wolford didn’t have the physical ability or size of Newman but he was smart and tough enough to thrive in Clawson’s offense. So stop blaming the offensive scheme for poor Jamie’s bumps and bruises. College football is a very violent game and the NFL is much more so. If he’s leaving because of the offense, he’s a big pussy.

I don't think anyone will disagree that Wolford took far more punishment, especially in his earlier years. But that doesn't mean it's wrong for Newman to make a career decision to avoid the injuries and help his draft prospects. It's soft, but I don't hate the guy for it. Like most, I think it's way more important we kept Surratt and Boogie and have a QB in Hartman that has the desire to be "the guy".

I wish you would shut the fuck up. Wolford was a stud. We all love Wolford and happy he is a paid pro. He did take a beating. Newman was a stud too. Took him longer to get there, but he took his licks too. All college and pro quarterbacks who run the ball take a beating. That is the nature of it.

It is just super lame and immature to cheer for a dude and then the minute he "turns" on YOU, and I capitalize you because you have somehow taken it personally, you diss him. Newman isn't your wife who then slept with your brother or your best friend. He's a guy who shares a degree from our university who did great things at Wake and has an earned degree. He doesn't owe you anything, certainly not a wife-like apology or explanation. So just eat it.

Tabari Hinds' play was way more immature and delusional than what we have seen out of Newman to date. Should he have pulled himself out of the bowl? Probably not. Should he have told one of the coaches this was what he was thinking or leaning - maybe ... it certainly would have been better for the team, but in hindsight. I am sure he thought he was going to bust ass against a quality defense and show up even stronger. But come one. You sound like a little pansy ass primadonna, 12 years old, cheering for great Jamie Newman until ... duh duh duh, he cheats on you and now he's Jamie Villian.

And - we don't have all the answers yet anyway. You are painting a narrative that is not confirmed. I am sure when Newman announces his choice, he will be interviewed by that school's college or local press and we will find out a little more. But you and everyone else is guessing. I will be surprised if Newman goes full cheapshot the way Tabari Hinds did. I am also sure he knows exactly how "fun" Tabari's journey the last two years has been.

Newman shouldn't have said what he did, but he was frustrated, beaten up and had just lost a game. You guys are looking for any reason to slam him.

So sadly predictable.

I still think by and large Jamie seems like a good guy. But it is pretty unusual for a college QB make those kinds of comments. Thus some pushback on them is understandable.

I wish you would shut the fuck up. Wolford was a stud. We all love Wolford and happy he is a paid pro. He did take a beating. Newman was a stud too. Took him longer to get there, but he took his licks too. All college and pro quarterbacks who run the ball take a beating. That is the nature of it.

It is just super lame and immature to cheer for a dude and then the minute he "turns" on YOU, and I capitalize you because you have somehow taken it personally, you diss him. Newman isn't your wife who then slept with your brother or your best friend. He's a guy who shares a degree from our university who did great things at Wake and has an earned degree. He doesn't owe you anything, certainly not a wife-like apology or explanation. So just eat it.

Tabari Hinds' play was way more immature and delusional than what we have seen out of Newman to date. Should he have pulled himself out of the bowl? Probably not. Should he have told one of the coaches this was what he was thinking or leaning - maybe ... it certainly would have been better for the team, but in hindsight. I am sure he thought he was going to bust ass against a quality defense and show up even stronger. But come one. You sound like a little pansy ass primadonna, 12 years old, cheering for great Jamie Newman until ... duh duh duh, he cheats on you and now he's Jamie Villian.

And - we don't have all the answers yet anyway. You are painting a narrative that is not confirmed. I am sure when Newman announces his choice, he will be interviewed by that school's college or local press and we will find out a little more. But you and everyone else is guessing. I will be surprised if Newman goes full cheapshot the way Tabari Hinds did. I am also sure he knows exactly how "fun" Tabari's journey the last two years has been.
Dude, I was responding to RJ’s criticism of the offensive scheme and the alleged punishment it put on Newman. Sorry that got your panties in a wad.

Back