• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Assistant Coaches

I think it's a pretty legit question. It would be a very high risk decision to take a job with a coach on a hot seat who doesn't have an extensive network (/unlikely to land another college job himself). Should Battle leave, I imagine his replacement will not be big time at all.

Nix promotion seems most likely.

Sure, I'd get behind a new assistant who has all but publicly stated that he has no desire or motivation to coach.

It would be a perfect continuation of the WTF Era of Wake Forest Basketball.

He obviously doesn't have the passion to coach or motivation to suddenly become a recruiter at this stage in his life. He's more likely to be the next Ron Wellman than the next Jeff Battle.

Right. But it also sounds like [Redacted] may have no other qualified options. Ultimately though, I don't think it matters who fills this spot. It's not like we are the right asst coach hire away from making the final four.

Recruiting with Bz, Corbean, Rusty and Nix would be a nightmare. There's just no way we make that move and continue to say that we are trying to win. It would be throwing in the towel.

/rant

But seriously, it'd be a lot easier just to start over.

Recruiting with Bz, Corbean, Rusty and Nix would be a nightmare. There's just no way we make that move and continue to say that we are trying to win. It would be throwing in the towel.

/rant

I'm with you, but [Redacted] isn't going to be able to make a very good hire due to his current performance.

Here's another thought, what if Corbean or Larue leaves? I bet Corbean is working hard to find something else.

I don't know why not.

I am not 100% convinced that Battle is going to leave anyway. I think it would make a lot of sense, but he hardly seems like the type to leave in our darkest hour.

Battle's stock will be much higher after this offseason than it will be after another year of this mess.

I don't know why not.

I am not 100% convinced that Battle is going to leave anyway. I think it would make a lot of sense, but he hardly seems like the type to leave in our darkest hour.

He almost jumped to a demotion job last year and only stayed so his kid could finish out high school. I think his bags are packed and he's just waiting to figure out where to go.

/rant

I think we all agree that Nix doesn't want to coach and it would be better to start over. Not sure what you're getting upset about.

Battle's stock will be much higher after this offseason than it will be after another year of this mess.

No. Don't think so at all. The Providence head coach is a close buddy of Battle's. That was the job he was offered.

Battle's stock will be higher after "his" next class finish their frosh year with 2-3 starters in the bunch.

Not saying I don't think he leaves, but if he does I think it will be to Providence. Don't know the situation there. Possible that ship has sailed, but I'd be really really surprised if Battle and Bzd have an awesome relationship.

.....meaning he doesn't want to coach.

Nix is still a coach at heart. He pushes the "DBO is not allowed to coach" farther than any DBO in memory. As to his quote, taken in context I interpret it as the correct thing to say in order to put less experienced assistant coaches at ease upon his arrival, rather than a declaration that he doesnt want to coach. Finally, his buddy gave him a chance to get back in the game after he had been blackballed for telling the truth in the Thomas situation in New York. You can count on him stepping up if Bz asks him to ... and he would do an excellent job.

And for what it's worth, I think Battle's a great human being. Everything I've read and heard from these boards points to him being a fantastic person. In addition to this, he's been responsible for many of our highly-rated recruits over the past 4-5 years.

But, no one's ever really convinced me that he can coach. Under Dino, we were terrible at offense and good at defense. Under [Redacted], I think we look better on offense but we're horrible at defense. Battle was involved in both of these regimes, so it's not clear to me what he "adds" to our team in terms of strategy, motivation, or ability.

Dont know what it would take to convince you, but let me state categorically that the man can coach! He is the best coach on the staff, including strategy, motivation, ability, instruction, recruiting, etc., etc., etc.

Please understand that as an assistant, his job is to suggest alternatives to the HC, but ultimately to execute what the HC decides. That is why it is not clear to you what he "adds."

I have previously stated my believe that if Joyce Battle was not ill at the time of Skip's death, he would have been named HC and the program would have been in dramatically better shape, every year.

Throw me in the "surprised" camp that people enjoy him on the recruiting trail. Must be a Greensboro thing.

I just can't subscribe to the "our assistant coaches are awesome but [Redacted] is horrible and ruining everything" idea.

1) What is up with our conditioning? McKie looks exactly as he did in high school. Carson looks exactly as he did as a freshman. Ty hasn't gotten nearly as strong as he should have over 4 years. Seems like it's just up to the players individually to decide whether they're going to work out and get stronger like CJ has done.

2) Skill improvement. Historically sub-standard. Carson not improving much, Ari never learned to dribble, Chennault not improving much, LD regressed, guys like Weaver and Hale and plenty of others just never made much progress. Vast majority of the time we either land a great player immediately or we don't. We almost never have a 2 year sub that turns into a valuable junior/senior starter like other programs do.

3) Recruiting. I keep hearing the assistant coaches are the real recruiters, and yet the one time they needed to carry the load during a coaching change we get a role player and 2 guys who may never see valuable ACC minutes in Green and Fields. Then the following year we have a great class on the way.

This is not a [Redacted] defense in any sense. But if we're going to fire [Redacted], I think it's foolish not to see the trends in our program before and after he arrived. I just don't understand how you can absolve our assistant coaches from this complete debacle. We don't execute picks well, and when players do set a pick, we don't set it up correctly. It's simple shit like that you'd think our assistant coaches would be working on. And yet game in and game out it doesn't improve.

Back