• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Assistant Coaches

FWIW, I wouldn't say Corbean is inexperienced as a coach. Quite the contrary, he was very successful as a head coach in NAIA. I'd wager that he has the best head coaching record on the staff (not that the competition is all that stiff). He hasn't recruited much at a D1 school though, and I'd imagine there's a pretty big difference between recruiting at Wake and recruiting at Indiana University Southeast.

He did spend 10 years assisting at Northern Kentucky, Army, and Eastern Kentucky prior to going to IUS.

Codi Miller McIntyre Interview:

FH: Codi, what do you think about Wake Forest University, and what is your favorite thing about it?

CD: My favorite thing about Wake Forest is the coaching staff. From day one they have made me feel like family and that was one of the main things that made them my number one choice. I loved the fact that Coach Battle would always tell me what I needed to hear instead of what I wanted to hear. He was and is still blunt with me on everything.

FH: Final Question: D you think you have enough talent to make it to the NBA?

CD: Umm as of right now I don’t think I’m ready for the league but I believe that after a couple of years being coached by coach [Redacted] and especially coach Battle I think that I will be more than ready.

Will Battle stay on a sinking ship to coach this class or honor what seems like a commitment to them and potentially go down with the ship?

Codi Miller McIntyre Interview:

FH: Codi, what do you think about Wake Forest University, and what is your favorite thing about it?

CD: My favorite thing about Wake Forest is the coaching staff. From day one they have made me feel like family and that was one of the main things that made them my number one choice. I loved the fact that Coach Battle would always tell me what I needed to hear instead of what I wanted to hear. He was and is still blunt with me on everything.

FH: Final Question: D you think you have enough talent to make it to the NBA?

CD: Umm as of right now I don’t think I’m ready for the league but I believe that after a couple of years being coached by coach [Redacted] and especially coach Battle I think that I will be more than ready.

I'm never quite sure what culture means, but Codi has it. I'm really impressed with him and the rest of our guys.

God dammit we are so screwed after Battle leaves.

It would be a major loss without a doubt. When I tried to point out his importance to our team earlier, some folks without a real understanding of the dynamics within the program made some less than appreciative responses. Oh well, it goes with the territory I guess.

Will Battle stay on a sinking ship to coach this class or honor what seems like a commitment to them and potentially go down with the ship?

Interesting question, especially since it presupposes that the ship is indeed sinking and his only reason for staying would be to honor a commitment to a particular recruiting class (not taking a position on the veracity of the assumption, just noting that it is interesting in and of itself). The hope for the future is predicated on the incoming class, for which he is principally responsible.

My POV on the question is that no he would not stay for that reason, because every year he would be in the same position. Next year's class is unique in number of commits, but every season a good recruiter has relationships with incoming players. Since his son is graduating, Coach B will evaluate opportunities for next year on the merits of the offer to him relative to his situation here. He is not definitely gone at this point, but I imagine that an attractive offer would be mighty tempting.

It will a sad day if Battle leaves. All the 2012 recruits bring him up in the rival site interviews. I will be disappointed if Nix takes his spot since he said he didn't want to be on staff. There has been way too much sleight of hand in this whole enterprise.

Last edited:

Won't he just have the same commitment for each subsequent class that comes as in as he is coaching the current class?

God dammit we are so screwed after Battle leaves.

Yup. Not only is Battle important, but who the hell would Bzz hire? The fact that he showed up at Wake without any assistant coaches that he really wanted and/or trusted is telling.

What if we were to give Battle a raise? I really want him to stay...and I dont know what his salary is but to show our appreciation...I think he deserves a raise and maybe that will be enough to convince him to stay. The guy has really put fourth a ton of effort at Wake and has done a wonderful job here even when he was grieving over his wife. I remember several years ago when I was at the WF basketball camps...Battle would go and sit down with a random group of kids at the camp to eat lunch with in the cafeteria...things like that. I really dont want to see him go, but if he does...best of luck to him. He'll always have my respect

Battle's got to think about his own career and whether more years under Bzz gets him any closer to his own career goals.

Back