• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Assistant Coaches

I don't think you need to worry about the whole staff being fired along with Bz. If Bz gets fired they'll all be out. The new coach may find some value in keeping one of them around, but that's it.

Keeping the assistants was a horrible idea at the time and in hindsight looks like an even worse one now.

Keeping the assistants was a horrible idea at the time and in hindsight looks like an even worse one now.

This seems more likely than the idea that we have a bunch of awesome assistants being held back by 2 nearly opposite coaches.

Does anyone know some details about our conditioning program? Who runs it, how much is it stressed, etc? I swear you could stick Carson in a room with Tony Horton for 3 months during the off season and maybe he'd dunk a ball next year.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/082611aaa.html

He was brought on specifically to focus on basketball. Ethan Reeves and staff handle the rest I assume:
http://www.wakeforestsports.com/trads/wake-strength.html

Ah right. I remember reading that article but had forgotten about it. So this upcoming off season will be his first real opportunity to improve the team.

Hopefully he'll improve the situation considerably. If McKie gets blocked 8 times in a game next year I'll be disappointed.

McKie gets blocked 8 times a game because we have no one else who can score inside and he tries to do too much. I've never seen him as more than a versatile 3. Playing him as much as we do at the 4 is criminal.

McKie gets blocked 8 times a game because we have no one else who can score inside and he tries to do too much. I've never seen him as more than a versatile 3. Playing him as much as we do at the 4 is criminal.

Don't get me wrong, I love the effort. But after watching him get blocked so many times in our last game and watching Ryan Kelly just destroy him physically, whether he's a strong 3 or a small 4 he needs to keep developing. You can't be 6'7" with a mostly inside hustle game and get by at under 210lbs. That is 2 guard size.

Arnaud Moto, by comparison, is already the same weight as Travis and he's not even at school yet.

recruit_motoa_200.jpg

109920663_crop_650x440.jpg

Last edited:
This is a very odd thread that it begins with a hypothetical, which is twisted more than a string of Christmas tree lights casually put away after the season.

I haven' seen expressed, explicitly, two things. First, the coaching pyramid is crawling at the lower levels with bright, hard working, entirely focused young men, most of whom would give a reproductive body part to be an assistant at Wake. There is a tremendous pool of talent out there wanting a chance. The chances of upgrading the assistant coaching positions is at least equal to the chance of making a bad replacement (if somebody leaves).

Secondly, there is a subset of aggressive young coaches who see the opportunity to help turn around a struggling program to be the fastest way to career advancement. Getting some hungry risk takers, would be wonderful for the program.

The current pandemic of pessimism among board posters should be studied by the bright young logic or psych students among us. There has to be a case study (or two or three) here.

If [Redacted] is fired the whole staff needs to go IMO. We need to do everything 180 out from how we did it when we hired [Redacted]. Nothing against the guys on staff and if the new coach wants to keep any of them then that's great, but we need a new coach with new ideas and the best way to do that is hand them the keys to the program.

If [Redacted] is fired the whole staff needs to go IMO. We need to do everything 180 out from how we did it when we hired [Redacted]. Nothing against the guys on staff and if the new coach wants to keep any of them then that's great, but we need a new coach with new ideas and the best way to do that is hand them the keys to the program.

As opposed to when we just needed some "tweaking" when Bzz was hired according to Ron. :eek: I assumed we were almost there. :D

Don't get me wrong, I love the effort. But after watching him get blocked so many times in our last game and watching Ryan Kelly just destroy him physically, whether he's a strong 3 or a small 4 he needs to keep developing. You can't be 6'7" with a mostly inside hustle game and get by at under 210lbs. That is 2 guard size.

Arnaud Moto, by comparison, is already the same weight as Travis and he's not even at school yet.

recruit_motoa_200.jpg

w0115-bkc-ncswf-card

For some reason, they look like twins separated at birth to me.

Moto is gonna be huge for this school. Maybe not immediately, but he's gonna end up better than Travis. He's got an awesome name too.

The current pandemic of pessimism among board posters should be studied by the bright young logic or psych students among us. There has to be a case study (or two or three) here.
I've got a psych background, so I'll give it a shot...

We stink.

Pos rep for the phrase "pandemic of pessimism."

I just can't subscribe to the "our assistant coaches are awesome but [Redacted] is horrible and ruining everything" idea.

1) What is up with our conditioning? McKie looks exactly as he did in high school. Carson looks exactly as he did as a freshman. Ty hasn't gotten nearly as strong as he should have over 4 years. Seems like it's just up to the players individually to decide whether they're going to work out and get stronger like CJ has done.

2) Skill improvement. Historically sub-standard. Carson not improving much, Ari never learned to dribble, Chennault not improving much, LD regressed, guys like Weaver and Hale and plenty of others just never made much progress. Vast majority of the time we either land a great player immediately or we don't. We almost never have a 2 year sub that turns into a valuable junior/senior starter like other programs do.

3) Recruiting. I keep hearing the assistant coaches are the real recruiters, and yet the one time they needed to carry the load during a coaching change we get a role player and 2 guys who may never see valuable ACC minutes in Green and Fields. Then the following year we have a great class on the way.

This is not a [Redacted] defense in any sense. But if we're going to fire [Redacted], I think it's foolish not to see the trends in our program before and after he arrived. I just don't understand how you can absolve our assistant coaches from this complete debacle. We don't execute picks well, and when players do set a pick, we don't set it up correctly. It's simple shit like that you'd think our assistant coaches would be working on. And yet game in and game out it doesn't improve.
Great post. Completely agree. Look at the constants, people. If our assistants are so amazing, why have we sucked under 3 different head coaches in recent memory?

I definitely don't think that our assistants are amazing. However, I do feel that Battle is a very good recruiter and the past and current players love him. I do not think Bz would be able to hire a replacement that would be nearly as good on the recruiting trail.

Rusty and Corbean are very inexperienced and, honestly, we haven't heard a lot from them. If we hired someone else with little recruiting expertise, we would have one of the worst staffs in ACC history from top to bottom. It's not far from the bottom of the list now, but Battle does bring some credibility since he has been a part of some very good teams.

Back