• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Head Coach Candidates

Please stop with this foolishness. Shaka is not coming to Wake.

We aren't going to get a pre-established coach unless he's tainted. Shaka Smart is not walking through that door. People think Bzz had to rebuild? The construction project Bzz inherited pales in comparison to the smoldering crater of a program he is leaving for our next coach to resurrect. We need a young-ish, well established recruiting name, or Bruce Pearl.

We aren't going to get a pre-established coach unless he's tainted. Shaka Smart is not walking through that door. People think Bzz had to rebuild? The construction project Bzz inherited pales in comparison to the smoldering crater of a program he is leaving for our next coach to resurrect. We need a young-ish, well established recruiting name, or Bruce Pearl.

like this guy:

14442316_BG1.jpg

Kareem Richardson would be a good pick up, Orlando Antigua from UK, Jeff Boals from Ohio State, or James Whitford from Arizona would also be awesome hires.

Kareem Richardson would be a good pick up, Orlando Antigua from UK, Jeff Boals from Ohio State, or James Whitford from Arizona would also be awesome hires.

I'd donate 10% of my income to the Deacon Club if we could get any of those guys.

Gottfried didn't get fired, he resigned in the middle of the season. That's pretty odd.

I've heard rumors that range from he was cheating and the NCAA was going to come down on Bama if he wasn't fired (don't buy this, NCAA has shown with UNC, OSU, Miami they don't care if the coach is there or not), to he slept with one of his daughters sorority sisters to he slept with his PG's girl friend. Who knows what it was. May have been that he was just under performing for the talent he had and the expectations he had grown up in the fan base. Not like the Bama fans are known to sit and wait for very long. All I do know is that Gott has never been in trouble with the NCAA and every single recruiting "win" he has at NCSU is easily explained when looked at individually. At a glance it may look like he's doing something out of the ordinary but when you look at it up close you see Warren's dad played at State, Purvis grew up in Raleigh as a State fan, and Lewis wanted an instate offer and felt like Bzz had slowplayed him. Then you have the Twins (instate and made a priority), Barber and Anya both had their other finalist pull their offers. Washington isn't as explainable but it's not out of the ordinary for NCSU to pull in a fringe top 100 post player.

I actually feel like the Dino comparison that Strickland made is probably a pretty good one. Gott is sort of following the Prosser model and bringing in NC players that Duke/UNC don't go after/slow play and then win a head to head battle or two against them. Sure have started out slow this season so i'm hoping the pre-season hype hasn't gotten to our guys heads. The Michigan game will be pretty telling IMO.

The rumor is that Debbie interviewed him and he spent the entire time talking about UNC and Duke. I'm going to say he's not a great interviewer

Not accurate. Marshall would be completely convinced in his mind that if he took the State job he would regularly beat UNC and Duke and have his program at least on that level. Marshall absolutely told Yow that. But he told her that not in terms if wishful thinking or to impress her to get the job, but rather because GM absolutely knew he would. I mean you have to know him. He told her that because it just wouldn't cross his mind that he couldn't do it. Not even a consideration. He has an incredible self confidence and believe in himself and what he does, but it doesn't come across jerky unless you want it to. He is self deprecating at the same time and makes fun of himself and his ways quite a bit. But I swear that guy is going to get to the top someday. He's got IT. And let me say that virtually very single one of you guys would like him and enjoy him as a buddy. He's one of us. Just a cool, fun dude that is very focused on what he wants and believes he can do. And he is very smart. VERY. Everyone I know that knows him likes him a lot. This just proves how funny rumors can be.

Not accurate. Marshall would be completely convinced in his mind that if he took the State job he would regularly beat UNC and Duke and have his program at least on that level. Marshall absolutely told Yow that. But he told her that not in terms if wishful thinking or to impress her to get the job, but rather because GM absolutely knew he would. I mean you have to know him. He told her that because it just wouldn't cross his mind that he couldn't do it. Not even a consideration. He has an incredible self confidence and believe in himself and what he does, but it doesn't come across jerky unless you want it to. He is self deprecating at the same time and makes fun of himself and his ways quite a bit. But I swear that guy is going to get to the top someday. He's got IT. And let me say that virtually very single one of you guys would like him and enjoy him as a buddy. He's one of us. Just a cool, fun dude that is very focused on what he wants and believes he can do. And he is very smart. VERY. Everyone I know that knows him likes him a lot. This just proves how funny rumors can be.

FWIW and based on what I know about him, this sounds spot-on. The ACC would be blessed to have a coach like Marshall on the sidelines.

Why? He'll recruit at a Bzz like level (a few 4 stars just because he's in the ACC, mostly 3 stars), coach them up, win around 20. Ultimately they'll be Herb results but with a different style to achieve them

(It's cool to have Gregg on the thread though)

You have to understand that Herb results sound pretty good right now.

Among other things,.Herb overachieved in March. We havent had that since... ever.

One thing I'll say is I have a hard time imagining Wellman hiring the next coach, which probably bodes well for those preferring a more unorthodox choice. Seems like Wellman probably moves on or retires when [Redacted] leaves. It's hard to fathom he would have the same virtually unilateral freedom to hire the next basketball coach after the [Redacted] Disaster.

One thing I'll say is I have a hard time imagining Wellman hiring the next coach, which probably bodes well for those preferring a more unorthodox choice. Seems like Wellman probably moves on or retires when [Redacted] leaves. It's hard to fathom he would have the same virtually unilateral freedom to hire the next basketball coach after the [Redacted] Disaster.

True.

I will say that I don't think Wellman is the arrogant, smug person who refuses to admit a mistake that people here make him out to be. He's a good guy, but I do think he's lost a bit of the fire and this Bz mistake is burying his legacy. He'd be great in an role at the ACC or NCAA level. I think the AD just needs an injection of youth and motivation all around.

... I will say that I don't think Wellman is the arrogant, smug person who refuses to admit a mistake that people here make him out to be. He's a good guy, but I do think he's lost a bit of the fire and this Bz mistake is burying his legacy. ...

I'm sure he doesn't present himself as arrogant to people who know him. But have his attitude and comments about the Buzz hire been condescending and arrogant? "Oh heavens yes!"

... I will say that I don't think Wellman is the arrogant, smug person who refuses to admit a mistake that people here make him out to be. He's a good guy, but I do think he's lost a bit of the fire and this Bz mistake is burying his legacy. ...

Refusing to admit it when you make a mistake is a sign of arrogance. A leader who refuses to recognize and take action to correct his mistakes is BAD news, in any organization.

The following is a paraphrased 2,500-year-old quotation from the Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu:
When a great man makes a mistake, he realizes it.
Having realized it, he admits it.
Having admitted it, he corrects it.
He considers those who point out his faults as his most benevolent teachers.

"Even smart people make mistakes. What differentiates their behavior from that of fools is that they are capable of admitting their errors. They alter their behavior so that they don't repeat the mistakes." - Larry Swedroe

“A man must be big enough to admit his mistakes, smart enough to profit from them, and strong enough to correct them.”
- John C. Maxwell

A man who refuses to admit his mistakes can never be successful. But if he confesses and forsakes them, he gets another chance. Proverbs 28:13 (LB)

Cant disagree with that deacfan. Posrep when i get to a actual computer

Saw the negative posts about Gregg Marshall over the holiday, but didn't have access to a reasonable speed internet connection to respond. To me, these arguments are much like the arguments TAMU fans were making last December about Kevin Sumlin. I follow TAMU a bit and when Sumlin emerged as the leading candidate for that job many of the fans dismissed his record at Houston because he coached against C-USA teams. Now of course C-USA isn't the toughest competition, but he was at a C-USA program so it was the appropriate level of competition. Same goes for Gregg Marshall (and, btw, I generally think the difference between the different levels of competition are smaller in basketball than in football). He had mid major recruiting results because he was at a mid major program (and not a "name" one like Xavier, Gonzaga, Butler, or Temple). Here are his results compared to mid-major programs with better pedigree or a better locale:

2008-2013 (Wichita State):
NR: 6
2 star: 5
3 star: 4
4 star: 1

2008-2013 (Gonzaga):
NR: 5
3 star: 8
4 star: 1

2008-2013 (VCU):
NR: 2
2 star: 10
3 star: 6
4 star: 2
(note, 2012-2013 classes consisted 4 3 stars and 2 4 stars, obviously Shaka capitalized on the Final 4)

After a cursory overview, it seems there's only one mid major program that consistently pulls in classes of 3 and 4-stars, and that's Xavier (UNLV perhaps will be in this class moving forward). How about compared to Mark Turgeon, his predecessor at Wichita State and a guy who has done a pretty good job of recruiting at Texas A&M and Maryland:

2002-2007 (Wichita State):
NR: 2
2 star: 5
3 star: 3

Ok, so that doesn't tell us a whole lot. I wonder if some of Turgeon's commits weren't in the Scout database at all. Now, maybe there's a huge difference between a NR's and 2 stars, but I rather doubt that (well I am sure in some cases there are, but probably not consistently so). Point of this all is that there seems to be little evidence that Gregg Marshall isn't recruiting at as high of a level as could be expected at Wichita State. I would worry about how he might transition back to the east coast and also to a power conference school (he has never coached at a high major), but I think with the right assistants he would be just fine. Remember, the assistants do most of the leg work, and what I know about Gregg Marshall makes me think he would be a good closer.

Shaka isn't an option. Should be Bruce Pearl.

Bruce Pearl is the only name you could throw out that I would want LESS than Bzzz. No way would I want that Douchebag anywhere near our program, even if we did win.

Maybe we should have a thread called AD Candidates.

Bruce Pearl is the only name you could throw out that I would want LESS than Bzzz. No way would I want that Douchebag anywhere near our program, even if we did win.

Kevin O'Neill, Josh Pastner. It's a short list.

Bruce Pearl! Apart from Mark Few, or Shaka, which isn't going to happen anyway, stay away from mi-majors.
Bring some juice and swagger back into the program!

Back