• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

I just got a chance to talk to Dave Telep over the phone, and I asked him about Wake's 6 man class. He said it is a very solid class, but doesn't know how much of an impact they will have immediately. I don't believe he has seen Devin Thomas recently though. He said the impact of the class as a whole will really hinge on Codi's ability to run a team because that is what Wake is going to need him to do. That's why he does not have him ranked as high as some of the other guys do.. because he hasn't shown a true ability to run and lead a team. He said he's a great talent but will really need to learn to do that quickly to make a big impact because he is going to need to do that from the minute he steps on campus

Sounds like a Wake guy to me! He'll fit right in with Bz.

Telep isn't saying that Codi can't develop into a team leader. It's just that right now he hasn't really needed to because he's surrounded by so many good players, and they aren't necessarily playing a very tough schedule which has resulted in so many lopsided wins. I believe Codi actually is averaging close to double digit assists but that doesn't necessarily translate into being a strong team leader. That's not to say Codi can't become a good team leader at Wake. I strongly believe he is going to be a stud. He just needs to learn to become that vocal leader on the floor and take ownership of the team because that's what a good college point guard does and Wake will need him to be that guy

perhaps unfortunately, it seems like Tony is that guy right now, along with CJ

Telep isn't saying that Codi can't develop into a team leader. It's just that right now he hasn't really needed to because he's surrounded by so many good players, and they aren't necessarily playing a very tough schedule which has resulted in so many lopsided wins. I believe Codi actually is averaging close to double digit assists but that doesn't necessarily translate into being a strong team leader. That's not to say Codi can't become a good team leader at Wake. I strongly believe he is going to be a stud. He just needs to learn to become that vocal leader on the floor and take ownership of the team because that's what a good college point guard does and Wake will need him to be that guy

That leadership breakdown was from the last time Telep saw him, over 8 months ago, as FyC stated earlier. Everytime Hargrave has had a close game CMM has done absolutely everything to get his team to win, I don't really know what else he's suppose to do. It's comical to say that now when he is the PG of a of an undefeated team and has to be averaging 10 assist per game. It's funny to see Tyler Lewis (who I love and am glad to call a fellow wolfpacker) get praised for running Oak Hill at such a great level and getting all the talent involved and then not see CMM get the same amount of love from pundits by basically doing the exact same thing, albeit probably not playing quite the same competition Oak Hill plays. CMM will be fine from the PG position

Turgeon just took another 2012 commitment. Some big named Damonte Dodd that no one has ever heard of.

6'9 240 PF. Didn't play any national AAU ball. Had offers from "Coppin State, Delaware, Delaware State, Morgan State, Niagara, Radford and Rider" with Dayton and Georgetown showing interest. Link.

But why take a risk if you can get a known quantity? They either rate this kid really highly -- higher than other big name kids -- or they struck out on a couple of other guys. Or, they gave a kid a commitable offer too early, he took it, and now they're locked in.

It's very late in 2012 recruiting. From now until summer teams will reach to get players to fill perceived needs or take risks. See: Fields, Anthony.

Here is his story. No one at ESPN's recruiting staff has ever seen him play.

Is Maryland's new pledge a late-bloomer?
By Dave Telep

This is the time of the year when players emerge from the obscure and wind up signing with major college programs. One example is Georgetown freshman Greg Whittington who went from “who’s that” to “he’s going to have a good career at Georgetown.” For me, the difference between Whittington and brand new Terrapin pledge Damonte Dodd (Centreville, Md./Queen Anne) is simple: we saw Whittington play; no one on our staff at ESPN has seen Dodd.

Until two months ago, neither had Maryland. Acting on a tip from a friend of the staff -- either an alum or a hoops junkie -- Dodd was brought to the Terps' attention. Maryland, in particular assistant coach Scott Spinelli, did his homework and in the end, the Terps edged out Georgetown, Niagara, Central Connecticut, Morgan State and a bunch of other small Division I schools that once thought they might have a steal or at the very least, a 6-foot-9, 240 pound prospect on their hands.

Though he played against hardly any Division I competition, Dodd nearly doubled his numbers from the previous year (always a great sign) to 24 points, 16 rebounds and a half dozen blocks. Turgeon and Spinelli each saw him twice and they watched countless matinees of film on the big fella before they pulled out the scholarship offer.

Dale Becraft, Dodd's coach, sees a guy who needs post moves and time to develop them.

“Personally, I think they did a really good job of doing their homework without dragging their feet,” Becraft said. “Here at the end Georgetown and Dayton had gotten in the mix. Even though he’s a sleeper he has tremendous upside. He rebounds and blocks shots really well. The only thing he’s lacking is (scoring) against guys bigger or the same size; he’ll adjust to that. Obviously he has some work to do because he doesn’t get pushed really much against the competition we’re playing.”

The plan is for Dodd to enroll at Maryland with the other senior recruits. He may redshirt but only because Turgeon himself wants to be tasked with the kid’s development. It sounds like Maryland is into him for the long run and according to the coach, is willing to be patient and bring him along properly. Again, this is a long term situation for both parties. However, in talking with Becraft, he has some traits that bode well.
Production is on the upswing
Late growth spurt
Commitment to improve; had a good summer of work
Small AAU teams (Annapolis Advantage, Delmarva Lakers)
Well liked by peers and highly regarded at school as player and student

When looking at kids like this, one has to pay attention to the markers. Dodd has some of them and while it’s no guarantee for success down the road, having the traits of a late-bloomer gives him a chance going forward. His high school coach had previously been around Division I players and thinks Dodd has what it takes to be a player in time.

At this point in the year, there’s a significant difference in taking a big who has been a commodity with little résumé versus a prospect like Dodd who appears to just be coming into his own. The “known guys” who haven’t made strides often flame out. A lot of times they either aren’t invested enough in their own development, don’t love the game or can’t live up to the expectations set for them at an early age. College coaches will convince themselves they either need the size or can change them once they are in the program. Those odds tend to be long.

On the other hand, Dodd's chance is coming next fall. As an evaluator, taking a kid like Dodd can be exciting. He hasn’t been spoiled by the process of playing with a big AAU team or overexposed at camps. He’s more apt to listen and value coaching without having a big ego. Essentially, he can be moldable clay and for a guy like Turgeon who owns a track record of improving under-the-radar bigs, the coach has to be excited to work with a player like Dodd.

While we haven’t seen Dodd and can’t offer an evaluation or expectation, we can let you know why Maryland took him, the traits that give him a chance and set the table for what is going to happen to him next season in terms of development.

Twenty years ago, taking players like Dodd was more frequent. Guys flew under the radar easier and were less exposed. Coaching staffs weren’t under the same time constraints created by high salaries, increased media exposure and 24/7 fan bases. The Damonte Dodd’s of the world were able to develop over time, without the expectations. A kid like this in 1985 would have been redshirted and brought along slowly unless he demonstrated unusual adaptive skills to the level of play over the summer.

I’ve never seen Dodd but I understand why he’s a Terp and what Maryland's motives were. Turgeon got a tip, did his homework and then seemingly became excited about the chance of cultivating this kid. Makes sense to me.

Telep on Codi 8 months ago: Would like to see Codi Miller-McIntyre take control of team. Next step is game management. Talented guard.

It is the exact same evaluation. And again I don't think Telep has seen him but once since then in November. The knock on him coming into his senior year was that he was more of a combo. I've watched a couple of Hargrave games and CMM is running the point and leading the team. He has even had some clutch performances. Like I said yesterday I don't think he could have done anything more for a season to allay those concerns.

Okay, this makes me feel better. I just wish these analysts would catch up on prospects before they make significant moves in their rankings. Of course it would be a ton of work, but it's also somewhat responsible.

Turgeon will thrive. TAMU fans took him for granted (which is really bizarre given their history), but the guy is a great coach who did a pretty good job of recruiting to TAMU.

Back