• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

They are rated lower. How good they actually are is TBD.

I hope that our staff isn't overrating our class ([Redacted] and Battle seem to know talent - Daniel and Chase were both solid gets, IMO), but it seems as though that is the case.

You think Daniel Green was a solid get? Maybe for Campbell..

Rountree and Washington spent 5 years in high school and now insiders are saying they need a redshirt year. That said the 2006 class which this class reminds me of in terms of 4 years of overall impact was followed with Teague and Johnson. Bz is clearly going to have raise the bar and also get some more help for next season. We have no one at center unless D.Thomas plays there which is not a good plan at all.

You think Daniel Green was a solid get? Maybe for Campbell..

6'10 athletes with decent frames, good motors/effort, and above-average basketball IQ don't grow on trees. He's a project and he's raw, but he's a solid get for our program who I happen to think will be good for us in time. I mean, let's put it in perspective. He's much better than Ty was at that stage in his development and he's more or less on par with Tony.

Lots of DG haters on this board. I'm looking forward to quoting haters in a few years...

(As an aside: I think most high-major D1 programs would have killed to get Eric Griffin from Campbell on their teams last season.)

Rountree and Washington spent 5 years in high school and now insiders are saying they need a redshirt year. That said the 2006 class which this class reminds me of in terms of 4 years of overall impact was followed with Teague and Johnson. Bz is clearly going to have raise the bar and also get some more help for next season. We have no one at center unless D.Thomas plays there which is not a good plan at all.

I think we'll get some minutes from DG at Center next year. Thomas, Green, Cavanaugh, and Washington are a front-court. It's nothing special, definitely below average in the ACC, but it's probably better than what we had this year. We'll be able to get minutes from Moto, Travis, Cavanaugh, and Green at the 4 and we'll be fine in the backcourt.

The rotation in the post is bad, but it could certainly be worse.

Honestly, I'm pretty done with rating services. I watched Melvin Tabb play 10 minutes, threw a pillow across the room and declared just that. I pay cursory attention ever since. Tabb averaged like 8 pts a game in Div 2 or Div 3 last year. How he and Kevin Swinton got 4stars is beyond words. Both had/have hands of stone. You can never ever be a major conference player with hands like that unless you are a rebounding beast and that is all you do. Swinton was even undersized.

Someone should start a rating service where they break down their ratings:

Skill, basketball IQ, hands, balance, athleticsm, size, hustle, other

Travis McKie has amazing hands, that is what makes him very good.
CP3 has the best balance I think I've ever seen. Maybe Deron Williams is on par. Because they have such great balance, they can just wait for their defender to lean one way or the other and because they are always ready to move, they beat you that way, despite average to above average speed.
In comparison, Tony Chenault had maybe the worst balance I've ever seen, so he has to commit to his moves like three steps before he takes it. It's almost insufferable in comparison.

Somebody show me a rating service that got Melvin Tabb right and I'll follow it.

24% of ESPN's top 100 players are committed to an ACC school. Only BC isn't represented out of the 14 schools.

6. Pittsburgh
12. Duke
14. Syracuse
20. NC State
22. North Carolina
29. NC State
30. Maryland
33. Georgia Tech
34. North Carolina
37. Syracuse
43. Pittsburgh
44. NC State
49. Virginia
52. Virginia
57. Florida State
60. North Carolina
67. Maryland
69. Georgia Tech
70. North Carolina
79. Wake Forest
80. Virginia
84. Miami
89. Virginia Tech
94. Clemson

Honestly, I'm pretty done with rating services. I watched Melvin Tabb play 10 minutes, threw a pillow across the room and declared just that. I pay cursory attention ever since. Tabb averaged like 8 pts a game in Div 2 or Div 3 last year. How he and Kevin Swinton got 4stars is beyond words. Both had/have hands of stone. You can never ever be a major conference player with hands like that unless you are a rebounding beast and that is all you do. Swinton was even undersized.

Someone should start a rating service where they break down their ratings:

Skill, basketball IQ, hands, balance, athleticsm, size, hustle, other

Travis McKie has amazing hands, that is what makes him very good.
CP3 has the best balance I think I've ever seen. Maybe Deron Williams is on par. Because they have such great balance, they can just wait for their defender to lean one way or the other and because they are always ready to move, they beat you that way, despite average to above average speed.
In comparison, Tony Chenault had maybe the worst balance I've ever seen, so he has to commit to his moves like three steps before he takes it. It's almost insufferable in comparison.

Somebody show me a rating service that got Melvin Tabb right and I'll follow it.

You're absolutely right, but the scouting services are right far more than they are wrong. They're also pretty reflexive in their analysis (especially, ESPN and Scout).

Re: Swinton. I saw quite a bit of him in HS. He just never grew. His hands were bad, but so were Tony's (Woods, not TC though his hands sucked, too), Ty's, and Carson's. He wasn't particularly skilled, but he was a high energy, rebounding machine in HS. I don't know what the rationale was for ranking his so highly, but he really was a beast in HS. I don't think he ever would have lived up to his ranking, but he would have been productive for us if he could ever transcend his idiocy off of the court, IMO.

Tabb is still a mystery to me.

Last edited:
No. Swinton's gun incident was a gift. His hands were just atrocious. He wouldn't have been anything more than a bad undersized power forward who can't catch anything thrown to him. You can applaud his motor but you still have to catch passes cleanly and go up for layups without losing the ball.

To continue, the reason why Jeff Teague is a nice pro not ever an all star is he had speed. Speed going left and right, so he can beat his guy either way usually. But his balance is average for the NBA. So once he gets past his guy, he's not great at figuring out what to do if there is a help defender between him and the basket. He's okay, but nothing approaching elite in that regard.

I haven't seen any of our guys coming except Thomas, and I only saw him once. My take away with Thomas was GREAT hands, high motor. He's a big guy but not as wide as you'd think so he might get into as much foul trouble his frosh year as I fear. I Think Moto might struggle to find his game in Div 1. I think Rountree will find his pace faster than Moto. And I do love CMM just haven't seen enough tape to pass a judgment/guess. I like Cav, but think he will have to figure out how to score against bigs his size with better athleticsm. And I think Washington, if he can get comfortable playing fast, will hold his own sooner than most think. He just looks really slow to me. He's gotten more aggressive, but if he is constantly playing catchup, his confidence and game will suffer.

But I am not worried at all about Thomas' 3star rating and I think he will be the heart and soul of the team sooner rather than later. I think you will see a team that plays with more fire. McKie and CJ are not fire players, more cerebral. Tony was our fire guy last year, but his game kinda sucked more often than it was good. I am not going to miss those drives to the basket. At all. Neither will my throw pillow.

Completely agree on Thomas and his rating being lower than how I expect he will perform.

Also... Daniel Green is not good at basketball, at least not this past season. While we are on the topic, I thought he had Swinton like hands. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Man, Moto has just been tumbling down Telep's rankings. He was in the Super 60 less than a year ago and now he is the #30 SF?

I actually watched a JTT juco game. It looked like a JTT West Charlotte game. I don't think it was a step in the right direction for his development, especially with the coach he is headed to, but I wish him the best.

While we're on the topic of Green, ill say I think his hands are fine. He's active, decently smart, and seems to have a clue of what he needs to do out there.

His frame really worries me. I don't mind skinny players when they have broad shoulders. But skinny players with narrow shoulders? That's a bad sign.

I actually watched a JTT juco game. It looked like a JTT West Charlotte game. I don't think it was a step in the right direction for his development, especially with the coach he is headed to, but I wish him the best.

At least he can have drinks with his new coach, so they have something in common. Still think it was a terrible idea for the same team to take JTT and Ari. Having both of them on the court at the same time is a bad idea.

Just looking at D.Green and he has mid-major written all over him, but his motor and IQ suggest to me that he will pay off in the long run but next season he will likely struggle.

BC has lost their second leading scorer Matt Humphrey to the transfer bug. He had transferred from Oregon to BC and is off again. So there is hope that we could finish ahead of BC since now they have all sophs.

Last edited:
EPSNU has us at #23 in their 2012 class rankings, one below Colorado.

Back