• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

I have tunnel vision when it comes to athletic 6'6-6'7 wings... I'd take McCarter, McClinton, and Hairston right now no questions asked. It's almost needless to say that I'm extremely excited about Travis/Moto/Rountree.

In real life, you must be former Atlanta Hawks GM Billy Knight. I was wondering what you've been up to lately.

this dude could be JT's twin

images

let's hope JT was the evil one...

Great news. Welcome to Wake, Madison, and congrats to the staff on what looks like a solid Spring pickup.

Welcome Madison..................Great to have you be a Deac!

Welcome. Deacon fans are Mad Jonesin' for some wins. I'm sorry, I could not resist.

Projected 2012-2013 rotation:

PG: Codi Miller-McIntyre/Madison Jones
SG: C.J. Harris/Chase Fischer
SF: Arnaud Moto/Aaron Rountree
PF: Travis McKie/Tyler Cavanaugh
C: Devin Thomas/Daniel Green/Andre Washington

Our backcourt looks much better on paper than it did last year. Our frontcourt looks more or less the same degree of unimpressive, but Devin, Daniel, and Tyler could both exceed my fairly low expectations.

We can and should win more games this year than last year, but a postseason bid (NIT or NCAA) still looks out of the question. We'll have to see, but I like this team.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that Green is gonna surprise us next year.

Our backcourt looks much better on paper than it did last year. Our frontcourt looks more or less the same degree of unimpressive, but Devin, Daniel, and Tyler could both exceed my fairly low expectations.

We can and should win more games this year than last year, but a postseason bid (NIT or NCAA) still looks out of the question. We'll have to see, but I like this team.

Have you seen our schedule?

I've got a sneaking suspicion that Green is gonna surprise us next year.

I tend to believe this, as well. That Green/Devin would be better than what we had up front this year, however, is somewhat of a stretch, IMO, though.

We will have better offensive personnel than last year but worse defensive personnel. Pretty much the only position where we won't be outsized is the point.

We will have better offensive personnel than last year but worse defensive personnel. Pretty much the only position where we won't be outsized is the point.

What makes you say that we'll have worse defensive personnel? I wasn't a big fan of either Ty or Carson's defense. Those dudes blocked shots, but their defense was inconsistent at best.

What makes you say that we'll have worse defensive personnel? I wasn't a big fan of either Ty or Carson's defense. Those dudes blocked shots, but their defense was inconsistent at best.

Just look at the line-up. Center is only a piece of the puzzle, although we will almost certainly be worse off there as well. Carson and Ty weren't consistent, but there is absolutely no reason to think that a 4 inch shorter freshman will be more consistent. Losing Tony and Nikita will cost a lot as well, if not more. Travis guarding power forwards? That isn't going to work well. And, say what you want about Tony on offense but he was our best on the ball defender (imo).

I am not trying to be pessimistic here, just realistic. I don't know how you can look at that line-up and say that with any confidence that we will be better on defense. We're projecting three freshmen in that starting line-up.

Just look at the line-up. Center is only a piece of the puzzle, although we will almost certainly be worse off there as well. Carson and Ty weren't consistent, but there is absolutely no reason to think that a 4 inch shorter freshman will be more consistent. Losing Tony and Nikita will cost a lot as well, if not more. Travis guarding power forwards? That isn't going to work well. And, say what you want about Tony on offense but he was our best on the ball defender (imo).

I am not trying to be pessimistic here, just realistic. I don't know how you can look at that line-up and say that with any confidence that we will be better on defense. We're projecting three freshmen in that starting line-up.

I think by January we will be better. Not at the beginning of the season, but by the beginning of the ACC schedule. However, once we are in conference it may not show up in wins.

Green will work harder than TW or CD and it sounds as if our freshmen may also. It is almost certain that we will rebound the ball better thereby limiting the opponent's shots...which is better D.

You can't rely on freshman for defense. However, we will most certainly gain a lot of length with Roundtree and Moto on the team. We have taken a potentially huge step in our PG play. Maybe not on opening day but in the future for sure. Our post game has been terrible since AFA and Woods left. I don't see that changing in the upcoming season but with time I can see these guys developing nicely. I don't have high hopes for 2012-2013 but maybe we will all be pleasantly surprised. WF is certainly due.

Back