• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

you're right let's not let Codi or Tree be Deacs.......

RJ, most 2* recruits aren't going to turn into top 100 recruits. Please take some ownership and pride in this program, instead of blindly following a coach whose only tie to our program is a paycheck.

Last edited:
RJ, most 2* recruits aren't going to turn into top 100 recruits. Please take some ownership and pride in this program, instead of blindly following a coach whose only tie to our program is a paycheck.

They were 3 stars anyway when we got commitments from them.

If we are going to bank on trying to build a consistent program with 2 star sleepers with mid-major offers, we are going to have a very hard road ahead of us.

I started a thread talking about a woeful lack of coaching.

My bad I keep forgetting that not saying [Redacted] is worst coach off all time in EVERY post is equivalent "blindly following" to people like you.

Of course we want 5* people and of course all 2* don't become 4* or 5*, but it's VERY early with this kid AND we haven't offered.

also if you look at Scout's Top 100 for 2013, I only find five guys who are wide bodies listed (and two of them are list as 6'7. 250/255).

They were 3 stars anyway when we got commitments from them.

If we are going to bank on trying to build a consistent program with 2 star sleepers with mid-major offers, we are going to have a very hard road ahead of us.

They each were 2* when offered.

No more two star sleepers!!!

Perfectly reasonable sentiment. 2 star recruits are getting us back up the mountain.

you're right let's not let Codi or Tree be Deacs.......

ChrisL never said anything about Tree or Codi. He specifically said "more". Why bring them up, if not to defend Bzz?

My bad I keep forgetting that not saying [Redacted] is worst coach off all time in EVERY post is equivalent "blindly following" to people like you.

Of course we want 5* people and of course all 2* don't become 4* or 5*, but it's VERY early with this kid AND we haven't offered.

Again, false. There is a reasonable expectation, which you just happen to be overlooking, and that expectation falls in between 2* and 5* recruits. Bzz isn't the worst coach in the world, but you must be supremely confident in Bzz's talent recognition (with little evidence) in order to explain your confidence or excitement in his 2 star recruits (generally a detriment to our program).

Last edited:

While you are correct about 2* recruits, that line is asinine since it describes the vast majority of coaches in every sport.

Even if the 12 class (who has never played a college game) turns out great, you need to continue to restock in college to sustain success.

The 11 class looks like one potential role player and two projects right now.

Last edited:
While you are correct about 2* recruits, that line is asinine since it describes the vast majority of coaches in every sport.

Except for our coach who has a daughter at Wake and according to BzzOuters is a life-long friend of our Athletic Director.

Or is he supposed to have a Wake degree? Guess we better fire Grobe as well then...

"Again, false. There is a reasonable expectation, which you just happen to be overlooking, and that expectation falls in between 2* and 5* recruits. Bzz isn't the worst coach in the world, but you must be supremely confident in Bzz's talent recognition (with little evidence) in order to explain your confidence or excitement in his 2 star recruits (generally a detriment to our program)."

FALSE AGAIN on multiple levels.

1. As Stig says it is asinine to lose it over a local guy who hasn't been offered.
2. There are very few big bodies in that class.
3. Lots of coaches have lots of kids they never offer visit just in case.
4. The recruiting cycle is much longer than it was ten years ago. You need to start early.
5. Looking at someone is not signing him.

Who is losing it? I just said no more two star sleepers.

Except for our coach who has a daughter at Wake and according to BzzOuters is a life-long friend of our Athletic Director.

Or is he supposed to have a Wake degree? Guess we better fire Grobe as well then...

Most coaches have to earn their homer fans, either through results, a personal connection to the program, or both. My point is that Bzz has neither, and thus has done nothing to earn blind faith in his recruiting or coaching. Programs like Duke, Carolina, Indiana have dozens of people whom could coach for them and skate by, temporarily, on their personal connection to the program. A coach like Bzz would probably have a lot more leeway with the fans if he had played here, or began his coaching career here, but he didn't. Dino's daughter went to Wake, and he got fired. Coach Cal's daughter also goes to Wake, and that doesn't seem to help him with our fans either.

Last edited:
Most coaches have to earn their homer fans, either through results, a personal connection to the program, or both. My point is that Bzz has neither, and thus has done nothing to earn blind faith in his recruiting or coaching. Programs like Duke, Carolina, Indiana have dozens of people whom could coach for them and skate by, temporarily, on their personal connection to the program.

You mean like Dino? Or Brad Doherty? Or Sidney Lowe?

I'm not a [Redacted] fan, but this argument is just ridiculous. Nobody "earns" homer fans. That's pretty much the exact definition of homer fans.

"Again, false. There is a reasonable expectation, which you just happen to be overlooking, and that expectation falls in between 2* and 5* recruits. Bzz isn't the worst coach in the world, but you must be supremely confident in Bzz's talent recognition (with little evidence) in order to explain your confidence or excitement in his 2 star recruits (generally a detriment to our program)."

FALSE AGAIN on multiple levels.

1. As Stig says it is asinine to lose it over a local guy who hasn't been offered.
2. There are very few big bodies in that class.
3. Lots of coaches have lots of kids they never offer visit just in case.
4. The recruiting cycle is much longer than it was ten years ago. You need to start early.
5. Looking at someone is not signing him.

Not what I said or even referenced at all but valiant effo... no, no it wasn't

You mean like Dino? Or Brad Doherty? Or Sidney Lowe?

I'm not a [Redacted] fan, but this argument is just ridiculous.

I'm sorry you don't believe that a coaches connection to a program is relevent. You should probably inform Rusty, and everyone talking about Chill getting on our staff. I'm pretty sure there are numerous coaches more qualified than both.

I'm sorry you don't believe that a coaches connection to a program is relevent. You should probably inform Rusty, and everyone talking about Chill getting on our staff. I'm pretty sure there are numerous coaches more qualified than both.

Which is a great example of what not to do. If we hire either of them as an HC before they have experience elsewhere, it would be all the more painful if/when they failed. Most would have given Chill a pass if he'd had a record like last year because of what he did for us when he played but to see how long that lasts, we need only fire up a tractor to find out. It's much better to not hire a former great at their alma mater until/unless they have proven themselves.

Which is a great example of what not to do. If we hire either of them as an HC before they have experience elsewhere, it would be all the more painful if/when they failed. Most would have given Chill a pass if he'd had a record like last year because of what he did for us when he played but to see how long that lasts, we need only fire up a tractor to find out. It's much better to not hire a former great at their alma mater until/unless they have proven themselves.

Totally true, most of those HC hires never work out. My only point was that a personal connection adds length to a coaches rope, and that Bzz doesn't have that. It was a minor point that got run away with.

keep the chatter about coach [Redacted] to another thread if you dont midn! thanks!

Back