• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Megathread - Crawford, Moore, & Collins ALL TO WAKE!

The majority of this board would have preferred a Howland hire; but a very vocal minority, and Wellman, did not.

I don't believe a majority of the board wanted Howland. He tried for every major opening and no one wanted him. It's all about his weaknesses.

I don't believe a majority of the board wanted Howland. He tried for every major opening and no one wanted him. It's all about his weaknesses.

Your Howland position borders on insane. As of right now, Howland would coach circles around Manning and he certainly couldn't do any worse of a job of roster management (aka successfully chase off/cut ties with the bad players and recruits while retaining the ones who can contribute).

y'all are a bunch of crystal ball having mother fuckers i'm super jealous

Way too early to think this. 14/15 was going to be a bad year no matter what. Hopefully Manning will use the scholarship to get a Top 75 big guy.

Where is Cav thinking about transferring?

This is a real headscratcher. He was in line to start and to score double digits this year.

Until we brought in Leonard.

Your Howland position borders on insane. As of right now, Howland would coach circles around Manning and he certainly couldn't do any worse of a job of roster management (aka successfully chase off/cut ties with the bad players and recruits while retaining the ones who can contribute).

You have no idea about that. howland left a mess behind at UCLA. Had he not been fired, there would have been a mass exodus.

Over his last four years at UCLA, he won exactly ONE NCAAT game. He had two seasons that the Bruins missed the NCAAT. Since 1988, they have missed the NCAAT four times- three were under Ben Howland.

We also know that Howland applied for close to half a dozen D1 coaching jobs this Spring and no one wanted him. If my position "borders on the insane", you must consider all the other people who didn't want him to be their coach to be the same.

It's not just me. It's basically every High D1 decisionmaker in the country this year. You are the one out of the mainstream.

He would've been the greatest coach we've ever had. Oh well, pointless arguing now. Wellman wanted Manning and I hope he works out.

He WAS a really good coach. He totally lost and alienated tons of people. I know several coaches around here. This guy was poison at this point.

If he was the coach you think he is, Cal or Oregon State would likely have hired him. They saw up close and personal his results.

Neither wanted him at all. didn't even want to talk to him.

our braintrust is waaaay smarter than every AD with an open position on the carousel this spring

There were probably only a few jobs he would even consider. It's not like he needs the money. UCLA paid him a ton.

Then he's a fucking loser. There were some pretty solid jobs open this go round. Not like he's gonna get a top 10 gig.

1) Going through a coaching change is a different circumstance.

2) Pretty sure Kentucky does it

Also no one is going to blink twice when players 13-15 transfer from Wake Forest. There are about 500 transfers every year. I'd rather win than worry about being classy in a small segment's eyes.
Kentucky only does/did that during a coaching change, it's shitty and bad practice for any coach to back out of an offer, and its much less common in CBB than Football. CBB teams don't over-sign without being sure about roster turnover. There are 4 year preferred walkons at most big D1 programs who have yearly scholarships based on how many players are signed every year.

BSF and his boner for Howland rivals philly (or whichever poster it was) that kept defending Sandusky and PSU.

Back