• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Megathread - Crawford, Moore, & Collins ALL TO WAKE!

50896872.jpg

On an offer? Yes, a lot. WF reneges on offers every year when they finalize their recruiting class and all of the remaining offers are no longer active/valid. Pulling an offer from a recruit is pretty common, especially when schools changes coaches.

On a commitment? Probably but I'd imagine that it is very rare and in unique circumstances.

Thought it was fairly obvious I meant an accepted offer, commitment, etc. The rumor was that [Redacted] offered Hudson and he accepted, assuming he could make grades. Then he dropped off the radar.

A quick search shows a lot of negative articles about coaching changes that ended in reneging on a commitment. It's not like this is being announced publicly and everyone's high-fiving over this guy. Just seems like a weird situation. Any chance since he's a Crabtree relative he'd pay his way walk on? Any reports of Manning actually seeing this kid play in person?

Manning saw CMM's ACC game videos from this year and threw up. He's been looking for shooters ever since.

BBall Recruiting Megathread 4.0 - The Cornelius Hudson Chronicles Continue

I don't understand why you don't get the difference between basketball and football.

I don't understand why you don't get why this can destroy a program and make us look classless. When was the last time you say UNC or Duke or L'ville or Cuse or any really top program do this? There's a reason.

1) Going through a coaching change is a different circumstance.

2) Pretty sure Kentucky does it

Also no one is going to blink twice when players 13-15 transfer from Wake Forest. There are about 500 transfers every year. I'd rather win than worry about being classy in a small segment's eyes.

Last edited:
Manning saw CMM's ACC game videos from this year and threw up. He's been looking for shooters ever since.

Yeah, he seems desperate for shooters, from essentially "swapping out" Moto for Leonard, and Mitchell for Wilbekin, to going after tons of SG's. I wonder if this is just b/c all coaches should want good shooters, or if his offense depends(more than other's offenses) on good perimeter shooting. I never saw a Tulsa game, so not sure.

He likely is assuming that at least one of these SG's won't be around after the upcoming season and is recruiting accordingly, and if Green is not healthy this year, he could finish out at Wake without taking up a schollie due to that "career ending injury" rule, I'm pretty sure.

Last edited:
You cannot sign a LOI for a scholarship your school doesn't have. Getting a commitment is one thing. Signing an LOI is a totally different animal.

Yeah, this is not right, just look at our football situation. Whether it looks bad is another story, but oversigning is not against any rules.

1) Going through a coaching change is a different circumstance.

2) Pretty sure Kentucky does it

Also no one is going to blink twice when players 13-15 transfer from Wake Forest. There are about 500 transfers every year. I'd rather win than worry about being classy in a small segment's eyes.

There's a difference, IMO, between anticipating turnover because you're sending guys to the NBA and anticipating turnover because you're treating your roster as a JV basketball team (ie Anthony Davis vs. Anthony Fields), at least in terms of how those messages play out on the recruiting trail.

Also, Hudson and Watson won't be coaching change-transfers. Manning could have prevented both situations, the latter situation especially easily, from ever happening.

Good post, Strickland. Assuming Watson, Hudson, and Wilbekin play to their ranking, we're facing a best case scenario of having 2 or 3 players from our new coach's first class transfer after their first year. That's very different than 2 or 3 freshmen going pro.

It's hilarious that rj is given credit for an opinion held by about 90% of posters on this thread.

Yup, RJ has been solid on not adding ANYONE for this year but most everyone on here is against adding another unranked player like Hudson. Also not for giving a coach the benefit of the doubt about talent evaluation when dipshit also wanted to bring Hudson in. I am not going to give someone the benefit of the doubt until I've seen them be right, rather than taking it away when I've seen them be wrong.

KY has not signed anyone for bball without having a scholarship that I know of other than possibly by Billy Gillespie. We know how that worked out.

It would be an absolutely TERRIBLE precedent for Wake to start doing this. Opposition coaches, boosters. AAU coaches. HS coaches would kill us. We are trying rebuild a devastated program. You don't it by antagonizing these people as well as potential Deac families.

Add to this, we aren't doing this to sign a Giles or an Okafor or a player who will take us to the NCAAT. We're thinking about doing it for a scrub who is still available in the summer after graduating HS.

We could destroy what chances we have for the next two years by doing this. It would change my view of Manning dramatically.

Who are we apparently beating Hudson for?

James, according to PH, only 10% of the board agrees with your position. It seems. You're the out of touch with reality here.

Remember, PH has never been wrong about anything on any of the Wake boards.

There's a difference, IMO, between anticipating turnover because you're sending guys to the NBA and anticipating turnover because you're treating your roster as a JV basketball team (ie Anthony Davis vs. Anthony Fields), at least in terms of how those messages play out on the recruiting trail.

Also, Hudson and Watson won't be coaching change-transfers. Manning could have prevented both situations, the latter situation especially easily, from ever happening.

How could manning have prevented Watson? He already signed, right? Hudson's status is a complete unknown, hence there's a discussion. Are you saying you would have been in favor of Wake reneging on our signed recruits because we hired Manning? Because that is totally a shit thing to do and would be an embarrassment to the program. Particularly for a player who wouldn't be ok with heading elsewhere.

How could manning have prevented Watson? He already signed, right? Hudson's status is a complete unknown, hence there's a discussion. Are you saying you would have been in favor of Wake reneging on our signed recruits because we hired Manning? Because that is totally a shit thing to do and would be an embarrassment to the program. Particularly for a player who wouldn't be ok with heading elsewhere.

Same way Manning prevented Shelton Mitchell?

Same way Manning prevented Shelton Mitchell?

I'm assuming that a top 100 point guard with plenty of excellent options is much easier to encourage an exit. After all, Mitchell requested his release. You think there is any way Manning could convince Rondale Watson that requesting a release from Wake Forest is in his best interest?

Or do you think Manning actually values Rondale more than Mitchell?

I could definitely be wrong but I don't think Wake can legally revoke Rondale's scholarship offer short of conduct or grades.

I should have said the former. I was referring to Hudson.

Regarding Watson: we could have and should have released him from his NLOI when Shelton decommitted. It would suck, but considerably less than basically forcing guys out after two or three years as many are suggesting. We essentially agree, I think, but I'd put significant money on neither Watson nor Hudson graduating from Wake, assuming Manning plans on following up on his many elite 2015 & 2016 offers. I'm far less comfortable banking on half of our scholarship players being forced out/transferring than telling one player that he committed to an old coach and there is a new sheriff in town.

That, to me, is so much worse.

I should have said the former. I was referring to Hudson.

Regarding Watson: we could have and should have released him from his NLOI when Shelton decommitted. It would suck, but considerably less than basically forcing guys out after two or three years as many are suggesting. We essentially agree, I think, but I'd put significant money on neither Watson nor Hudson graduating from Wake, assuming Manning plans on following up on his many elite 2015 & 2016 offers. I'm far less comfortable banking on half of our scholarship players being forced out/transferring than telling one player that he committed to an old coach and there is a new sheriff in town.

That, to me, is so much worse.

I mean, I agree with all of that except the "could" part on Rondale. You can't just release a player from an LOI due to a coaching change. I just checked the legal stuff on a basketball how-to recruiting site. It specifically states a University can't revoke a scholarship of a player who signed an LOI due to a coaching change.

This seems like [name redacted] fucking us from the grave, not Manning fucking us out of some desperate need to sign benchwarmers.

Shelton decommitting is greatly different than taking Rondale's scholarship away from him. Shelton decided he didn't want to play at Wake. We did the honorable thing. Stealing Rondale's scholarship would not be honorable.

I'm 99% certain we can't back out of a signed LOI due to a coaching change or change of mind on the school's part. The kid is at your school for that year if he wants to be.

I think once Rondale confirmed his desire to stay his desire to graduate from Wake became likely. Nothing we've seen from him makes one think he believes he has a future in pro ball.

Back