• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bball Recruiting Megathread: Devin Mitchell on campus

OK, if we agree that Buzz is bad for the Deacs, can we also agree that the rantings on these boards will have no effect on getting rid of him, but can potentially influence potential recruits that read these boards?

Don't confuse them with facts. There have been articles on ESPN, The Sporting News, SI and many other places that recruits, their families and especially opposition coaches/boosters do use message boards posts in the process.

The old board was even told directly by Mike Conley, Jr's cousin that that OOC read and discussed message board postings 8-10 years ago.

Message boards are much more accepted now than they were then.

Even when we were told by first hand knowledge this was so, the same yahoos wanted to be absolved from any responsibility of their actions.

This will never change. They will always give excuses to justify their childish and destructive behavior.

The good ole' "I HAVE 28K POSTS SO THE BOARDS MUST BE IMPORTANT" argument...

Anyone who's dumb enough to look in a toilet bowl and complain about it being full of shit, is too dumb and naive for Wake Forest anyway. There is a reason that the sports boards aren't an official part of the campus visit, because this isn't a recruiting tool. If you can't handle free speech then get the fuck off my lawn.

Yep, run recruits and players that will show 'em.

Free speech isn't free from responsibility.

Yep, run recruits and players that will show 'em.

Free speech isn't free from responsibility.

You can keep running that crap up the flagpole, it's still not true. You aren't the arbiter of responsibility, and neither is a group of people who choose to perform on live television and in front of tens of thousands of paying spectators.

Anyone who's dumb enough to look in a toilet bowl and complain about it being full of shit, is too dumb and naive for Wake Forest anyway. There is a reason that the sports boards aren't an official part of the campus visit, because this isn't a recruiting tool. If you can't handle free speech then get the fuck off my lawn.

5* post

You can keep running that crap up the flagpole, it's still not true. You aren't the arbiter of responsibility, and neither is a group of people who choose to perform on live television and in front of tens of thousands of paying spectators.

Not an arbiter of responsibility, just telling the truth.

I suspect the key to Alabama's football recruiting success has to do with genteel nature of their fan base and message boards. Same thing for UNC basketball. InsideCarolina.com is a beacon in the dark dark world of sports message boards and Roy owes nearly all of his success to the outstanding posters there.

Except it's not the truth. It's utter nonsense.

well, technically the concept that "freedom of speech isn't freedom from responsibility" is true, it's just not relevant to our conversation. Don Rickles was technically responsible for hurting a lot of peoples feelings, but the fat ladies in his audience weren't getting their money back. That's RJ's wheelhouse, he spouts wise-sounding cliches to hide the fact that he can't defend his point with relevant ideas. Idea's addressing that the purpose of this board is to sound mostly critical opinions of our sports program.

It's not just me saying it. Basically every major site that talks about recruiting as well as every major sports publication and sports network.

The only ones who dispute what I'm saying are self-indulgent, internet warriors who want to be absolved from their actions.

You realize that us Wake fans are some of the calmest around, especially as it pertains to internet message board warriors, don't you?

Right now we are 100-1 or more to get Giles. 100-1 shots rarely win.

If we dump [Redacted] and get a Shaka or other high energy, high visibility coach, it could drop to something like 6-1. It's still not likely, but we would be in the game.

Right now we are 100-1 or more to get Giles. 100-1 shots rarely win.

If we dump [Redacted] and get a Shaka or other high energy, high visibility coach, it could drop to something like 6-1. It's still not likely, but we would be in the game.

Your random generated odds aside... even you just admitted that what we say on the message board won't impact recruiting much, if at all. I'm glad we came to an agreement about this.

Here are some accepted facts... Wake's basketball program has been in bad shape for the past several seasons. Wins and losses, and the nature of many of those losses, make that abundantly clear. The head coach is responsible for the performance of the team - and for the make-up of the team, through recruiting. At a very, very minimum, our head coach's performance has come under scrutiny and his retention this past year has been questioned. Any recruit knows these facts and knows that Buzz is, again, at a minimum, on the hot seat. No recruit needs to read the board to learn any of that - look anywhere in the sports media and there it is.

So, given this situation, which would a recruit rather see on a fan board? (a) A bunch of sunshine fans with their heads in the sand, talking about how success is right around the corner, (b) apathy - a few fans talking about the latest movie and whether the golf team will be improved next year, or (c) a bunch of rabid fans talking about how the AD and administration need to take action to get the program back to where it used to be and where it belongs - at the top of the ACC and nationally relevant? I don't know the answer but can make a guess.

Here are some accepted facts... Wake's basketball program has been in bad shape for the past several seasons. Wins and losses, and the nature of many of those losses, make that abundantly clear. The head coach is responsible for the performance of the team - and for the make-up of the team, through recruiting. At a very, very minimum, our head coach's performance has come under scrutiny and his retention this past year has been questioned. Any recruit knows these facts and knows that Buzz is, again, at a minimum, on the hot seat. No recruit needs to read the board to learn any of that - look anywhere in the sports media and there it is.

So, given this situation, which would a recruit rather see on a fan board? (a) A bunch of sunshine fans with their heads in the sand, talking about how success is right around the corner, (b) apathy - a few fans talking about the latest movie and whether the golf team will be improved next year, or (c) a bunch of rabid fans talking about how the AD and administration need to take action to get the program back to where it used to be and where it belongs - at the top of the ACC and nationally relevant? I don't know the answer but can make a guess.

+1

I'm not sure why folks get so hung up on usually-joking posts on a private message board* when our dysfunctional and inadequate coaching situation is both more visible and more embarrassing. The bold (above), I think, is absolutely true.

*ETA: Private in the sense that you cannot see posts via Google searching or access them without registration.

See below:
Google search - Take One

Google search - Take Two

Last edited:
This is not a private message board.

In fact some have gone to great lengths to become more public.

Back