• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

I think Buckland has gotten some D-1 sniffs and offers from low to mid-major schools. But I'm not positive. I reckon TITS or Cumberland can correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the PnR, WCA really should run more of it considering how athletic their wings are. Not to mention how versatile Harry is. You could even run some against the 3-2 zone by isolating the high man and letting BC decide which way he wants to go depending on how the D reacts. If the D sloughs and goes under, boom, pick n' pop to HG for a 3 or 18 footer. Can do the same thing with Buckland or Jalen as they have plenty of range.

Obviously, Oak Hill's D is pretty darn good and you have to be careful because of their ability to trap, but BC is certainly quick and crafty enough to make the right read or pull up and hit the J if the D takes away the passing lanes. But if you give Chill some help to get behind the first line of the zone, then he has more passing options to a cutter or at least to the short corner from the FT line, not to mention the pull up floater that he surely has learned from watching Pops.

Think we may see much more high PnR tomorrow against Carolina as they run mostly man to man under Roy right?

Last edited:
I think Buckland has gotten some D-1 sniffs and offers from low to mid-major schools. But I'm not positive. I reckon TITS or Cumberland can correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the PnR, WCA really should run more of it considering how athletic their wings are. Not to mention how versatile Harry is. You could even run some against the 3-2 zone by isolating the high man and letting BC decide which way he wants to go depending on how the D reacts. If the D sloughs and goes under, boom, pick n' pop to HG for a 3 or 18 footer. Can do the same thing with Buckland or Jalen as they have plenty of range.

Obviously, Oak Hill's D is pretty darn good and you have to be careful because of their ability to trap, but BC is certainly quick and crafty enough to make the right read or pull up and hit the J if the D takes away the passing lanes. But if you give Chill some help to get behind the first line of the zone, then he has more passing options to a cutter or at least to the short corner from the FT line, not to mention the pull up floater that he surely has learned from watching Pops.

Think we may see much more high PnR tomorrow against Carolina as they run mostly man to man under Roy right?

I have no idea if Buckland has received offers, but I believe he is a low D1 caliber player.

Regarding the PnR, that could certainly work. We also ran a lot of high post action and backdoor cuts last year against their fairly aggressive defense. I would look for us to look to do that. I'm interested to see if they put Tokoto on CMM or Mitch. If they put him on Mitch, then that could be real problems for us due to Tokoto's length.

For you guys with knowledge of the 247 Crystal Ball process, what would lead to an insider predicting Wake or any other school for that matter? Do they actually have some insight? Hunch? Blind guess?

Thanks for the report TwentyOne. Gonzaga beat up on my alma mater last month, so I don't think Crawford played much. I did hear he nailed all his FTs and knocked down most of his shots. He should be very solid for us.

I'd really like to get out to Gonzaga Feb 2 for the Gonzaga/Dematha game. Those are always classics.

For you guys with knowledge of the 247 Crystal Ball process, what would lead to an insider predicting Wake or any other school for that matter? Do they actually have some insight? Hunch? Blind guess?

I'm probably 247's most outspoken critic on here and find the crystal ball stuff to be pretty useless until the very end of a guy's recruitment.
It's definitely a combination of the three methods that you mentioned above, heavier on hunches and speculation until the end of a guy's recruitment (at least IMO).

I don't think they know more or less than more established guys on Scout or Rivals, but they do publish their opinions earlier in the process for better or for worse.

Chill had 10 in the loss, but all in the first half. Didn't realize GSO Day was 25-0. Do they slow it down a bunch and try to shorten the game? They must certainly play pretty good D to hold WCA under 50.

Chill had 10 in the loss, but all in the first half. Didn't realize GSO Day was 25-0. Do they slow it down a bunch and try to shorten the game? They must certainly play pretty good D to hold WCA under 50.

They just have a much better coach, Wesleyan's coach is not very good from what I have seen. He obviously has been able to get guys to come play for him, but he just seems to roll the ball out. If Wesleyan had GDS's coach they would be undefeated. I hope the guys on that team don't get frustrated.

Got a chance to check out Crawford over the weekend. Had a nice game. 14 points, probably 6 or 7 dimes. Didn't play much in the 2nd half, competition was lacking.

Definitely has nice balance to his game, not a chucker by any means. Pass-first and slash seems to be his main priority, he plays quick and moves well without the ball. His best passes were in the open court and also had some nice alley-oop type lobs in to their bigs. Knocked down an NBA range three early, but I think only took one other shot from long range. Missed a few free throws :)willynilly:), I think he was 3-5, but rotation and everything looks nice. A much better shooter than Codi or Madison that's for sure, but probably not quite as polished a shot as MW yet. Definitely can play a combo roll alongside MW. Encouraging that he has bulked up since last year (his junior year). He's no Codi in terms of strength (somewhere between CMM and MJ) but he is very fit with long arms and is getting stronger.

Someone to keep an eye on this Gonzaga team is Myles Dread. He's only a freshman and comes off their bench, no idea where he will end up ranking-wise. He's built like a freaking truck and is one of the most aggressive on-ball defenders I've ever seen. Just a menace out there.

I've seen Gonzaga play three or four times this year and the Feb. 2 game against Dematha is going to be sick. Gonzaga has ridiculous talent at the guard/small forward position with two frosh who look to be major D1 talents -- Myles Dread and Prentiss Hubb. They also sport a small PG who as a frosh last year and as a soph this year is one of the top point guards on the east coast in Chris Lykes. Crawford is a smooth talent with good range on his shot. He plays in a very strong conference and practices against exceptional athletes every day, particularly these three young guys who are all legit D1 targets.

They just have a much better coach, Wesleyan's coach is not very good from what I have seen. He obviously has been able to get guys to come play for him, but he just seems to roll the ball out. If Wesleyan had GDS's coach they would be undefeated. I hope the guys on that team don't get frustrated.

Freddy Johnson of GDS may be one of the best HS coaches in the country. Unbelievable run at GDS.

New ESPN rankings out today. 2015 - Doral #68, Crawford just missed the cut as the #17 PG (which is a joke). Luke Maye gets the Carolina bump to #95. Interesting to see Kaleb Johnson at #100 - sounds like Wake is keeping tabs on him.

2016 - Tatum #1, Giles #2, Kwe #60

I've seen Gonzaga play three or four times this year and the Feb. 2 game against Dematha is going to be sick. Gonzaga has ridiculous talent at the guard/small forward position with two frosh who look to be major D1 talents -- Myles Dread and Prentiss Hubb. They also sport a small PG who as a frosh last year and as a soph this year is one of the top point guards on the east coast in Chris Lykes. Crawford is a smooth talent with good range on his shot. He plays in a very strong conference and practices against exceptional athletes every day, particularly these three young guys who are all legit D1 targets.

Some strong names on that squad.

This is true. Gatlin is a great guy/mentor but X's and O's are not a strength. GDS is always well coached. I'm sure they slowed it down and doubled Harry.

I wonder if of the WCA stars were in foul trouble. As you may have seen at the end of the Oak Hill game there is a significant drop-off after the starters (understatement of year).

They also have Sam Miller who's a 6'8" PF committed to Dayton. He should help them next year considering they just kicked their C and backup C off the team. Yeah, Lykes is nice, but damn is he small.

Looks like they've lost quite a few games this year, actually. Maybe bit off more then they can chew in the tourneys? But still in the top 10 locally. Dematha is an absolute power, as per usual. WCAC bball is awesome, but there are a few cupcakes. Seems like these coaches are trying to schedule more and more national tourneys to keep the seniors from transferring to Oak Hill and the like.

Back