• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

I get playing for Duke or the other blue bloods, but I'll still always question any elite player that willingly chooses to sit on the bench when they have plenty of near elite HM schools to choose from that would allow for them to start.

I get playing for Duke or the other blue bloods, but I'll still always question any elite player that willingly chooses to sit on the bench when they have plenty of near elite HM schools to choose from that would allow for them to start.

I'm not sure that was Allens mindset going to Duke. He was a 5* who K probably told he could come in and have the opportunity to start. Allen then probably told himself he was good enough to start as a freshman and it just didn't happen.

I'm not sure that was Allens mindset going to Duke. He was a 5* who K probably told he could come in and have the opportunity to start. Allen then probably told himself he was good enough to start as a freshman and it just didn't happen.

True, he didn't explicitly sell him on being a reserve but these recruits have got to see potential playing time issues when they look at the current roster and other incoming recruits.

Last edited:
True, he didn't explicitly sell him on being a reserve but these recruits have got to see potential playing time issues when they look at the current roster and other incoming recruits.

This has been the standard line for over 25 years for Duke, it doesn't seem to slow them down from signing these guys.

K recruits guys who have never had playing time issues and never think they will.

For the same reason the top 5% of students in the country want to go to one of top 10 schools in the country. Elite players want to go to elite programs. As simple as that.

Allen is projected to start this season anyways.

So what's the explanation for Dennis Smith losing serious interest in Duke once Thornton committed?

Duke can sometimes convince elite talent to come anyway, but that doesn't work with every player they recruit. Hence, "it could" play in our favor if Wenyen Gabriel commits. With his offer list now, Gabriel will be a five star recruit and a potential McDonald's All-American.

So what's the explanation for Dennis Smith losing serious interest in Duke once Thornton committed?

Duke can sometimes convince elite talent to come anyway, but that doesn't work with every player they recruit. Hence, "it could" play in our favor if Wenyen Gabriel commits. With his offer list now, Gabriel will be a five star recruit and a potential McDonald's All-American.
Never said it's applicable to all players. It isn't. I was talking about Allen. Smith/Thornton and Harry/Gabriel aren't comparable. Thornton is a top 15 recruit who will have a year of experience (assuming he doesn't go to the draft). Gabriel is a top 30/40 recruit, while Harry is the #1 player in his class. Harry will get to play as much as he can regardless of if Gabriel goes to Duke. Amile Jefferson and Marshall Plumlee certainly didn't hamper Okafor's playing time last year.

Duke will find a spot for HG regardless of who commits. And K will let Harry know his PT won't be affected at all (whether it's true or not)

Most of the chatter I'm seeing says Gabriel will get bumped up to five star status which usually means at least Top 25. He already has the offers to back up that level of ranking. It may not matter to Giles but taking that level of player at the same position in the same class could affect his decision. I don't think the possibility can just be dismissed out of hand.

Most of the chatter I'm seeing says Gabriel will get bumped up to five star status which usually means at least Top 25. He already has the offers to back up that level of ranking. It may not matter to Giles but taking that level of player at the same position in the same class could affect his decision. I don't think the possibility can just be dismissed out of hand.

interesting that he just picked up half dozen or so Crystal Balls for Duke.

interesting that he just picked up half dozen or so Crystal Balls for Duke.

I thought we just established that the Crystal Balls are a gimmick; a product of the blind leading the blind.

Yeah but blind people make the best fortune tellers.

Look at Duke's bigs situation in 2016-17:

Chase Jeter (center)
Antonio Vrankovic (3-star)
Sean Obi (Rice transfer)
Wenyen Gabriel (*potentially*, currently rated #17 PF in his class)

I don't think the #1 ranked player in his class will have to worry about playing time with a commit from Gabriel.

They are a gimmick when a pick goes against us. But an all-knowing prediction when one goes in our favor

Vrankovic will be gone in a year. Seems like the classic big who goes there for a year and realizes he'll never see the floor. Olek Cyzs all over again

A doubt that a kid that has offers from both Duke and UK is going to remain the #17 PF in his class for very long.

Back