• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

Is there a statute of limitations on blaming [name redacted]? Guy was a train wreck but at some point I hope we stop using him as an excuse for all of our shortcomings. If blue chip guys weren't even giving us consideration I think people would have a valid point in blaming him. But if a guy like Giles puts us in the Top 3 then not landing him is more about closing than our past failures.

Basically when our program gets back to pre [Redacted] levels (as far as W-L record), I think we can safely say the stink is gone. Hopefully that will happen soon.

The current staff is still starting behind the 8 ball with recruits b/c we haven't been relevant since Dino. I think it's great that we are involved with top talent (and managed a good class last year), but they likely can't remember a Wake team that was ranked or in the national spotlight (they would have been 10-12 years old, I guess) while teams like Duke keep winning. That still hurts us even if we make their top 3.

That being said, let's get Harry!

Basically when our program gets back to pre [Redacted] levels (as far as W-L record), I think we can safely say the stink is gone. Hopefully that will happen soon.

The current staff is still starting behind the 8 ball with recruits b/c we haven't been relevant since Dino. I think it's great that we are involved with top talent (and managed a good class last year), but they likely can't remember a Wake team that was ranked or in the national spotlight (they would have been 10-12 years old, I guess) while teams like Duke keep winning. That still hurts us even if we make their top 3.

That being said, let's get Harry!

If we get Harry then the [Redacted] statue of limitations is immediatley up. Nothing would be more symbolic of the end of one era to the start of another.

The real question is...after we scrub Bz from us, when will be rid of the curse of the nut punch?

Was [name redacted] the culmination of the curse of the nut punch?

I'm sorry, but whatever damage was done to Julius Hodges' junk did not merit the [Redacted] era. There must have been some greater sin lurking in Wake Forest history that caused the universe to inflict that misery upon us. Maybe the Baptists were right and all that dancing that has gone on over the years finally caught up to us.

Is there a statute of limitations on blaming [Redacted]?

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: We will never get back those four years. We came limping in to the newly expanded ACC, which was going to be tough regardless. People at the time were saying it set us back 10 years. I'm saying at least that. I would love to see DM (or any coach) come in and turn things around with one recruiting class. A class with Giles would probably do that. But let's be honest, Giles is doing us a big favor by listing us, but we are not in real contention (and nor should we be). All this #vibes shit is stupid. I have no interest in being let down any more than I have in 30+ years as a Wake fan, and the Giles dream is a huge let down for anyone still holding out hope. DM and staff are going after the top recruits, and I love that, but they know we are not getting them right now. We are going to have build solid teams with solid (but likely not elite) recruits who we can develop and get better incrementally. This year's class is the right direction. If we have several classes like that and we work our way back to top half of ACC we might start landing a few blue chips. Given the historically bad level [Redacted] took us to, we will be blaming him for the foreseeable future.

DM seems like a fine guy but he's still relatively unproven as a coach. And his big-man coaching prowess may be appealing to some 7 foot projects, but Giles doesn't give a shit about all that, he wants to go somewhere where he can have the most awesome one year before becoming a millionaire. I love Wake but I can't see us as that school--especially post-[Redacted]. And for all the talk about Giles and DM similarities, DM went to Kansas, not some small private school in his back yard.

All depends on the type of kid Harry is. If he wants to accept the responsibility of transforming a program and being a hometown legend, Wake is an option. If he just wants to have a fun year like you say before jumping to the pros, then he'll go to Duke. No one really knows what Harry wants deep down, and what he wants might change in the next 5 months too. We're underdogs, but we don't have to frame it like we're 100% out of it.

Maybe it's me, but with all of the hoopla concerning Giles, Parker, whether or not DM can recruit talent or not, I seem to be more excited about the transfer of Woods than most. Here is a 6'4" shooting guard that was the 2014 Gatoraid POY in NC. His shooting %(especially on 3 pt. shots are something we would have killed for the past few years. With the bigs and pt. guards we have coming in, he is a perfect addition. Frankly would rather have him than Parker. Would love to get Giles, but if not the sky is not falling.

Maybe it's me, but with all of the hoopla concerning Giles, Parker, whether or not DM can recruit talent or not, I seem to be more excited about the transfer of Woods than most. Here is a 6'4" shooting guard that was the 2014 Gatoraid POY in NC. His shooting %(especially on 3 pt. shots are something we would have killed for the past few years. With the bigs and pt. guards we have coming in, he is a perfect addition. Frankly would rather have him than Parker. Would love to get Giles, but if not the sky is not falling.

Well it's not exciting but I agree it's those players we will need assemble and build a team out of. We will not turn this around in one class or with one player.

I'm not sure which irritated me more about the [redacted] situation. The fact that we recruited a mediocre coach with no post season success after firing a coach for lack of post season success or the fact that Wellman dug in his heels so hard on this guy after it became apparent to everyone except the three people left on the other board that this guy sucked.

Is there a statute of limitations on blaming [Redacted]? Guy was a train wreck but at some point I hope we stop using him as an excuse for all of our shortcomings. If blue chip guys weren't even giving us consideration I think people would have a valid point in blaming him. But if a guy like Giles puts us in the Top 3 then not landing him is more about closing than our past failures.

No S/L for murder.

Is there a statute of limitations on blaming [name redacted]? Guy was a train wreck but at some point I hope we stop using him as an excuse for all of our shortcomings. If blue chip guys weren't even giving us consideration I think people would have a valid point in blaming him. But if a guy like Giles puts us in the Top 3 then not landing him is more about closing than our past failures.
If having someone to blame is important to you, I would think four years is fair. That would give Manning four years to develop a team of his choosing and to implement his system. Personnally, I cringe every time Bzdelick is referred to and have choosen to consider him past tense...gone. However, the man who hired and defended him remains, so I continue to refuse WFU overtures for financial contributions. Two out of three is insufficient. As long as Wellman remains, my financial contributions will be to people or organizations I deem more deserving.

When I think of [Redacted] I think about when you take a nasty shit. Like after an all night binge drink. And you go to wipe and your fingers break through the toilet paper. It takes a lot of scrubbing to wash the stink off. We're still scrubbing.

It's become very apparent that we have backed off kwe. Looks like the concerns that some of us had based on his highlight video, ie nothing but dunks, are the same concerns that coaches have too. I hope he finds a good place to go to school, but it is looking less and less likely that it will be a high level program.

Back