• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

And if we don't get Giles, do you think any top-50 recruits are going to still consider us?
Yeah, this is the thing getting lost. If Giles isn't from Winston-Salem, I'm not sure how many 5*s' top fives we're in. And I don't know why people are getting chubbies about being in 5*s' "lists" but missing on them. I'm sure 2017 players will be thinking about how Wake was in Marques Bolden's top 8 when considering schools.

Yeah, this is the thing getting lost. If Giles isn't from Winston-Salem, I'm not sure how many 5*s' top fives we're in. And I don't know why people are getting chubbies about being in 5*s' "lists" but missing on them. I'm sure 2017 players will be thinking about how Wake was in Marques Bolden's top 8 when considering schools.

C'mon, it's branding/ marketing. If the best players are talking about you, you're relevant.

C'mon, it's branding/ marketing. If the best players are talking about you, you're relevant.

So, we're relevant now?

1cc8d17dc65fde2865fc62a47c940f17-so-you-mean-to-tell-me-americans-think-the-skeptical-face-of-someone-l.jpg

We sure as hell don't look very relevant with this recruiting class so far.

Thanks for posting!

Obviously, level of comp is a bit of a concern and he seems to be the tallest player on the court every time. However, he does not move and handle like a kid who just started "focusing" on BB only a year or so ago. The kid definitely has some natural, innately born BB skill and you can tell he can play. Having said that, he will need to work on his catch and shoot or dribble-shoot transition as he brings the ball down a bit too low before getting into his shot. Underwhelming AAU stats (or whatever it was y'all were posting about), he certainly has a pretty good stroke from outside. Although he may need to work on squaring up a bit more and not falling away so much.

Definitely has a ton of upside and may just be gaining some steam on the recruiting / scouting circuit. That said, we need to make the most of the final two spots (I know, I know, but they will find a way) and make sure we get Giles and at least another 4* stud who can take the pressure off BC, Mitchell and Woods to create offense when the play breaks down. (Caveat: I do think Bryant will surprise a lot of folks in how much he will open up the floor for others).

If you count Woods as part of the 2016 class, and we can seal the deal with Giles, along with JC, Doral, BC and Dinos staying stateside, this might be a real sleeping giant in the ACC come 2016-2017.

Yes, for now, I will continue to drink the Manning Kool-Aid as he has already shown a knack for recruiting underrated talent as well as recognizing under-recruited kids before they explode on the AAU circuit. #MannUP

Last edited:
I saw Danny Manning in the DC airport Thursday night. Any thoughts as to who he might be visiting in the area?

Maybe after landing Childress, we expected to get Kwe and Jalen Johnson. Hopefully Washington and Donovan will prove to be better players. Also, think Keyshawn will pan out as a ACC level shooting guard. We have lots of good players but need a star.

I saw Danny Manning in the DC airport Thursday night. Any thoughts as to who he might be visiting in the area?

Which DC airport? Reagan National or Dulles? Cause he could have just been changing planes coming from elsewhere - like the west coast after getting Donovan Mitchell's commitment. Or from doing an in-home with someone not in the DC area.

People watched John Collins' film and said he was only good because he was playing against smaller opponents and now they're saying he could be the steal of the recruiting class. Just saying, don't judge the kid until he gets on campus and shows us what he can do.

It sounds like we've gotten a commitment from Aaron Rountree's replacement.

People watched John Collins' film and said he was only good because he was playing against smaller opponents and now they're saying he could be the steal of the recruiting class. Just saying, don't judge the kid until he gets on campus and shows us what he can do.

Well, we will start finding out how much of a real deal steal of the class Collins is in about two months. We will know even more in three months.

Which DC airport? Reagan National or Dulles? Cause he could have just been changing planes coming from elsewhere - like the west coast after getting Donovan Mitchell's commitment. Or from doing an in-home with someone not in the DC area.

If he was at National he was going to see Obama.

I just wonder what we'd be saying about this 3-man class if it belonged to say, Clemson, BC, or VT and not us.

You also see Brandon Childress and Richard Washington putting up great numbers against the nation's best in their AAU tournaments. So i have no reason to believe that either of them will come in and not produce immediately for us.

I don't think anyone is dismissing Donovan Mitchell as a potential solid player for us. Just like I don't think anyone was really down on Richard Washington or Brandon Childress. The problem is you don't want the entire class, which had high expectations for being something special, to be players ranked ~150 and lower.

Nothing wrong w/ a diamond in the rough every now and then, but tough to compete in the ACC with an entire roster of them.

As deaclite stated above, we need a star. Or multiple stars. And with only 1 scholarship left to give out in 2016 (maybe more... who knows), there isn't going to be any news until Harry Giles decides what he wants to do.

So now I just have to sit here and wait for that. Not exactly exciting (nor encouraging). At least the season is only about 2 months away, so we can finally see what we've got w/ Crawford, Moore, and Collins.

You also see Brandon Childress and Richard Washington putting up great numbers against the nation's best in their AAU tournaments. So i have no reason to believe that either of them will come in and not produce immediately for us.

This is an absolutely incredible statement.

Dude... Lots of people were saying Collins could be a steal well before he got to campus. He won all sorts of awards for his play last season. This Mitchell dude is a glorified Daniel green until further notice.

I guess I'm just a very firm believer in the "there isn't much of a difference between a low four star and high three star" idea, and if our class was three low four stars rather than the high three stars then I assume everyone would be ecstatic.

Back