• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

This is the kind of educational opportunity that is difficult for a 17 year old high school athlete to understand. The way Danny is designing our program is almost the best of Odom and Skip. He is recruiting similar to Skip (at least he has started to now that the stink of [name redacted] has worn off, but he is really running his program closer to what Odom would have done. I think that is probably a lot of the influence of Chill on the staff. I must say, I was a skeptic that Randolph was a good hire. Being a great player doesn't always work out as a coach, but he has absolutely destroyed the recruiting trail in conjunction with Manning. They are a great team, and I hope we have them both for a long time.

Not sure I get this. Until DM shows he can put a lock down defensive team on the floor I miss the reference. If he can recruit consistently plus put a solid offense and defense on the floor at the same time, he'll be in his own class. Odom sacrificed offense for defense. Skip sacrificed defense for offense. Odom thought Wake was a liability in recruiting, Skip saw the positives and leveraged them as much as possible on the recruiting trail (not sure where DM falls on this spectrum).

I was more talking about big picture program, not basketball focus. Manning is establishing his reputation as a quiet and silent type who is looking out for the best interests of his players. Skip was more out front, and certainly loved his players but his recruiting was more aggressive on the liability side, especially as we got later into his career. I am not knocking him, but am saying that Manning is seemingly finding guys that fit the 'culture' that Wellman was constantly searching for, but at the same time can really play. It is a tightrope to walk, but so far you have to be impressed with Manning's results.

Interview with Sharone about his commitment.

"I knew I was going to Wake from day one, I was just trying to do what my options really were, I ended my recruitment because I never wanted to go into my senior year worrying about those types of things."

"Wright is really intrigued with the plan that Coach Manning has made for him during his time at Wake, “He said I would have an opportunity to play right away and get familiar with the system. He said they needed a big point guard who could run point and also play the 2 and 3 positions.”"

https://makeplayz.com/wake-forest-lands-2018-sharone-wright/

Interview with Sharone about his commitment.

"I knew I was going to Wake from day one, I was just trying to do what my options really were, I ended my recruitment because I never wanted to go into my senior year worrying about those types of things."

"Wright is really intrigued with the plan that Coach Manning has made for him during his time at Wake, “He said I would have an opportunity to play right away and get familiar with the system. He said they needed a big point guard who could run point and also play the 2 and 3 positions.”"

https://makeplayz.com/wake-forest-lands-2018-sharone-wright/

This sounds good to me. Maybe a return to relevancy is possible while I still give a damn.

Jairus Hamilton, 2018 SF - 4*, top 50 recruit

[video=youtube;0XFuTU8V4C4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=0XFuTU8V4C4[/video]

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/jairus-hamilton-enters-a-blueblood-recruitment
Wake Forest: “I like them a lot. I talk to Coach (Danny) Manning and Coach (Steve) Woodberry. I talk to them at least twice a week. They love my game and want me badly to be a Deacon.”
RIVALS’ REACTION
Kansas, UNC, and Arizona, three of the top, most successful programs in America, have been involved with Hamilton for over a year now. However, by landing a Duke offer, the Blue Devils immediately jump into the group of leaders for the four-star prospect while the dark horse looks to be Wake Forest, a program that has done wonders in building the proper relationship with the local product.

----------

Probably not much is going to come out of this with Kansas, UNC, Zona, and Duke all involved.

Jairus Hamilton, 2018 SF - 4*, top 50 recruit

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/jairus-hamilton-enters-a-blueblood-recruitment
Wake Forest: “I like them a lot. I talk to Coach (Danny) Manning and Coach (Steve) Woodberry. I talk to them at least twice a week. They love my game and want me badly to be a Deacon.”
RIVALS’ REACTION
Kansas, UNC, and Arizona, three of the top, most successful programs in America, have been involved with Hamilton for over a year now. However, by landing a Duke offer, the Blue Devils immediately jump into the group of leaders for the four-star prospect while the dark horse looks to be Wake Forest, a program that has done wonders in building the proper relationship with the local product.

----------

Probably not much is going to come out of this with Kansas, UNC, Zona, and Duke all involved.

Let's beat Dook and Cheater Hill on the court this season and that might change the outcome of the recruiting against those program.

Let's beat Dook and Cheater Hill on the court this season and that might change the outcome of the recruiting against those program.
WF is might beat them in recruiting without firing a shot anyways. They've not spent nearly the same amount of time with Hoard as WF so while one school might land Hamilton, WF is in good standing with a player of similar position and national ranking (they are regularly within 1-3 spots of each other). Outside of those dreaming of landing both, WF makes out fine in that deal.

WF does still have actually land Hoard in my above scenario.

Should probably clarify this comment. I'm not one of the people that thinks WF cannot compete with the big guys for recruits as they definitely can and do. Still, it's tough because they do carry an aura with them and WF has to spend more time developing relationships & selling the program than those schools have to do.

I'm basing my comment on the schools some and because it seems like Hamilton was not exactly the most forthcoming I/R/T WF in the video compared to Duke & others. However, Corey Evans did make the note about WF being a dark horse.

I am confused by what seems to be an underreaction to the signing of Wright. I thought somewhere in this thread were comments on how great a get he would be but given the Clemson/SC connection Wake would be a long shot. Of course, he said Wake was his top choice along so shows there is more assumptions than insight. But, surprised about the comments about his game. Granted, few high school kids have top skills in all aspects of their games, but some of the posts made it seem like he was a less than stellar recruit. I for one like the notion of having a pg with height and the ability to potential play the wing in our 3 guard lineups.

I am confused by what seems to be an underreaction to the signing of Wright. I thought somewhere in this thread were comments on how great a get he would be but given the Clemson/SC connection Wake would be a long shot. Of course, he said Wake was his top choice along so shows there is more assumptions than insight. But, surprised about the comments about his game. Granted, few high school kids have top skills in all aspects of their games, but some of the posts made it seem like he was a less than stellar recruit. I for one like the notion of having a pg with height and the ability to potential play the wing in our 3 guard lineups.

If this kid grows to 6'8" it will be Bigly.

Wright is the player people were expecting to commit first. The excitement about him is spread throughout the thread. There just wasn't surprise aside from the timing.

Seems like he can be an Ervin Murray type swing player for us. That fills a major need for 2018 going forward.

Yeah, I was very high on Wright. He was my choice at PG for 2018. Any muted excitement largely comes from his commitment not being unexpected (to some). Timing was surprising though.

Gotta love that Wright, Melo, and Chaundee can play both wing spots and are good ballhandlers.

yes, melo's scouting reports describe him as a 6-8 SG. Chaundee is a big physical wing. Sharone is going to be a massive PG. We are going to have crazy backcourt/wing size, a pretty big departure from this past season with extended stints of MW at the 2.

Back