• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

Have to make things personal don't you?

And if he had the basketball work ethic, IQ and drive of Michael Crabtree, he would have been an All-American and a lottery pick.

I know REALITY is hard for you, but a "focused Cornelius Hudson" is pipe dream as he was unable to do so for more than a game at a time. His play on the court more often than not harmed the team.

The reality is barring a massive turnaround, Crab would have hurt us on the court last year. But hypothetically having Crab bollocksing up our team could have meant JC returning, as our star's numbers would have most likely suffered greatly.

I'd rather compare him to a better ball-handling and shooting (but not as good on D) young Josh Howard. When Josh got to Wake, he could play multiple positions just like Sharone. Assuming he grows, Sharone is more likely to morph into a point forward than Josh was. But both are long, can play multiple positions and have high bball IQs.

That's a dumber comparison than Ervin Murray.

You actually handled that hypothetical worse than I thought you would. Cornelius had flashes where he was focused and tried to do what the coaches told him. So take that player and imagine him being focused all the time. That player is a realistic comp for Wright Jr.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18- '18 PG Sharone Wright, Jr. commits to Wake!

I don't get the crab or Murray comparisons. Certainly not josh Howard. I would probably compare him a little outside the Wake community and go with a guy like Eric Maynor. Maynor was only 6'3" or so but played longer.

I like Wright's ability to slide past contact and finish with long strides. He has good vision but still needs improvement. I have high hopes for his defense. I see him as wreaking havoc on the other team once he stops growing and puts it together.

Shot is suspect but he can fix it and become a competent shooter. His real value is going to be his versatility, defense, and ability to finish in the lane. He is going to be too big for most 1/2's and he will be tall enough to defend 3's. Can't wait to see him in the black and gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
First you started talking about how Crab would have been a benefit to last season's team. Then, you morph it into picking an outlier game.

Because your hypothetical is preposterous. A couple of good games with forty bad ones.

Even the UCLA game he was: 2-12, 1-6. 11-16, 8 (rebounds good), 4 assists. 4 TOs. He just had the ball a lot. You like to talk about efficiency. That game was not efficient at all.

Move the goalposts again.

Last edited:
I don't get the crab or Murray comparisons. Certainly not josh Howard. I would probably compare him a little outside the Wake community and go with a guy like Eric Maynor. Maynor was only 6'3" or so but played longer.

I like Wright's ability to slide past contact and finish with long strides. He has good vision but still needs improvement. I have high hopes for his defense. I see him as wreaking havoc on the other team once he stops growing and puts it together.

Shot is suspect but he can fix it and become a competent shooter. His real value is going to be his versatility, defense, and ability to finish in the lane. He is going to be too big for most 1/2's and he will be tall enough to defend 3's. Can't wait to see him in the black and gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As he grows, he might remind me of a young Paul Pressey. Paul was one of the first Point forwards. He was an excellent defender, a good passer, took the ball to the basket, was a scorer rather than a shooter.

I'm not saying he's going to be as good as Pressey. I'm comparing the style of play that might fit him best.

First you started talking about how Crab would have been a benefit to last season's team. Then, you morph it into picking an outlier game.

Because your hypothetical is preposterous. A couple of good games with forty bad ones.

Even the UCLA game he was: 2-12, 1-6. 11-16, 8 (rebounds good), 4 assists. 4 TOs. He just had the ball a lot. You like to talk about efficiency. That game was not efficient at all.

Move the goalposts again.

His freshman year efficiency numbers put him on par with what we got from CJ Harris, Ari Stewart, JT Terrell and Brandon Childress as freshman.

not quite ACC caliber play but useful in a limited role. Cornelius failed to improve, again mostly because of off the court issues which I specifically mentioned in my first post on the subject, but if Sharone gives us the same production that Crab gave us his freshman year in a limited role backing up BC then we should be pleased. That's a reasonable expectation for a 3-Star recruit.

I was pulling from the limited universe of big guards that played for Wake and were capable of running point. Crab was a much better comp than Murray. We've had recruits at Wright Jr.'s level that ended up being far worse than Crab.

Crab was old and that was also a factor in his lack of development.

The highly ranked part explains it. Top 30 6-4 Chicago guard? I'm interested.

Particularly if he gave the staff reason to believe he is interested in Wake. i would guess the offer is based on a significant level of interest in Wake expressed by Ayo.

As he grows, he might remind me of a young Paul Pressey. Paul was one of the first Point forwards. He was an excellent defender, a good passer, took the ball to the basket, was a scorer rather than a shooter.

I'm not saying he's going to be as good as Pressey. I'm comparing the style of play that might fit him best.

Paul Pressey played college basketball 40 years ago. Is that the best you can do ?

Details please.

He tweeted he had received the offer about an hour ago.

6-4, 170 lb combo guard from Chicago area. Four star. Nationally ranked top 30 player. Illinois may be front runner, but he has a lot of offers.

WTF are you guys discussing Crab?!?! Boredom of the summer months, I guess.

Back