• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

The strength of that potential lineup is absolutely one of the best selling points we should have--if there is one thing we have learned in the one and done era, it is that top players want to play with other top players in order to maximize what they can accomplish and the amount of exposure they'll get. Our future roster is one that should put us in position to be highly ranked and spending a lot of time on national TV. That's a great way to get seen and known on a wider scale.

someone should just link ayo to this thread so he can read all about how much we want him and how much wake > illinois

i think that BSD article says everything that possibly could be said as to why wake is a better choice. nice job Chaos. glad Ayo retweeted it. hay is in the barn, ready for this decision in like a week.

Last edited:
Ayo needs to realize that at Wake he will have a lot of versatile chess pieces as team mates to play with, and that there will be many more opportunities for creative playmaking with the other Wake players.

He may not score as much at Wake as he would at ILL because of all the talent around him. But the opportunities for assists will be off the wall. Many lobs to bigs and high flying wings. Passes to deadeye three point shooters. Drive and dish opportunities with Wake's front court guys.

Good post. All that is a big deal to a PG.

They only count as assists if they ultimately go in. Shitty teammates makes for shitty PG stats.

One specific to reinforce my above is the Crawford off the backboard "pass" to Collins that JC put down. I don't think that was in Danny's playbook anywhere, but Crawford knew that he had a talented JC trailing him, so he put the ball up where Collins had a chance to get it. Thus that went from a "what was Crawford thinking???" to "great assist" in the blink of an eye.

With the talent that Wake will have when Ayo arrives, many more creative plays can be run to good results.

They only count as assists if they ultimately go in. Shitty teammates makes for shitty PG stats.

I'd like to see an assist credited if a guy receiving the pass gets fouled and makes the FTs (maybe even if he makes 1/2)

That is why he should come to Wake. Already there are and will be multiple dead eye shooters on the team. And there will be a bunch of guys with the skills to be finishers at the rim. Good passing will be rewarded at Wake.

That is why he should come to Wake. Already there are and will be multiple dead eye shooters on the team. And there will be a bunch of guys with the skills to be finishers at the rim. Good passing will be rewarded at Wake.

Who will our best shooter likely be in 2018? Brown?

If Ayo is as good as he thinks he is (not meaning that snarky) then he won't have a problem starting for our team. There is no way that a potential 1 and done, or 2 and done is sitting on our bench. If he isn't a player of that level, then he will have a great older mentor to help him get to that level. It is pretty naive to think that a guy like BChill (who I love) would keep an NBA first rounder on the pine. That aint gonna happen. I love some BChill, but he isn't going to play in the league. If Ayo is good enough to jump after a year or two he will get that playing time.

I get what you are saying in Ayo's case given his incoming recruiting level, but we just had a 2 and done sitting on our bench for most of his freshman year.

This is why the least important stat for HS PG (who doesn't go to a factory prep school) is turnovers. True PGers will see you being open before you do. Many times a top level PG will have other kids on his team that aren't that good and this creates turnovers.

I get what you are saying in Ayo's case given his incoming recruiting level, but we just had a 2 and done sitting on our bench for most of his freshman year.
True but I think two things played into that:
1. If he played any more minutes freshmen year, he'd have fouled out immediately. I don't have the stats in front of me but I believe he committed a foul something like every 6 seconds.
2. No one really knew what to expect with him as he had good video but the rankings hadn't caught up. He showed flashes freshmen year but his consistent high level play started during the early part of his sophomore year.

Who will our best shooter likely be in 2018? Brown?

Keyshawn Woods is the best returnee this year, hitting 3's at over 43% (on over 100 attempts). BChill and Crawford around 35 %. Those guys should be there in 2018. Arians and Wilbekin were the 2nd and third best last year. Both over 40% from three. Arians finished his eligibility and Wilbekin is in his last season at Wake.

If Key continues to hit, Brown is going to have to be seriously good to top Keyshawn's numbers.

Note: I am discounting Greg McClinton's 1-1, 100%. #smallsample size.

Last edited:

JC wasn't anywhere near the level of recruit coming in that Ayo is. It's apples and oranges.

Ayo needs to realize that at Wake he will have a lot of versatile chess pieces as team mates to play with, and that there will be many more opportunities for creative playmaking with the other Wake players.

He may not score as much at Wake as he would at ILL because of all the talent around him. But the opportunities for assists will be off the wall. Many lobs to bigs and high flying wings. Passes to deadeye three point shooters. Drive and dish opportunities with Wake's front court guys.

and he'll likely be sooo much more efficient at Wake, playing with other high quality players.

Pretty ironic that a year after the Giles recruiting joyride, we're now in a position of arguing why a player's best option is to snub the hometown team transitioning with a new first year head coach and come to the program with a better surrounding cast.

Pretty ironic that a year after the Giles recruiting joyride, we're now in a position of arguing why a player's best option is to snub the hometown team transitioning with a new first year head coach and come to the program with a better surrounding cast.

Danny wasn't a first year HC. Wake had more than the collection of ????? that is the Ill lineup as of now.

Back