• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

He was a Top 3 recruit. Many thought he was the next superstar PF. He went to KU (after Danny) and proved to be no good. He left after his frosh year and got drafted in the second round. He played a few games for the
Blazers and got cut.

It appears he actually went undrafted, after having eligibility issues related to pre-NBA loans his mom was signing up for. Looks like it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

I'm in on the positive vibes and think he picks WF. Don't have the info sportsnut, creamy, bigboy, etc has, but just basing it on his stated goal of being one-and-done. Not going into detail because the case has been stated so many times here, but he has the best opportunity to achieve that goal at WF among the final two choices. Not an expert, but many seem to believe he's more like a two-and-done player, which may improve his draft status. Again, he has the best opportunity to do that at WF as well.

The UI boards aren't taking a victory lap yet and some of their "smart people" have been discredited with misses on other targets. If a bunch of Illini homer media outlets are scheduled to be there, that would change my opinion, but I have yet to see that list.

It is very exciting to have this much interest, and even be in the recruiting battle for players like Ayo. But I hope he's not spending much time reading the Wake and Illinois message boards to see all the whining, petty schoolyard naming calling, and hand wringing over his decision. It will be what it will be people. I think the thing Wake fans should be most excited about regardless of Ayo's decision is that as of today in the Danny Manning and Randolph Childress era, a highly rated recruit choosing Wake Forest isn't unlikely any more, and the reasons any recruit would choose Wake Forest are now totally legit, not some foolish partisan spin. GO Danny and Chill, and GO DEACS !

there is no medal for second place in recruiting

This is a legit point.

And to follow up on this - another legit point is that THT is now visiting Illinois this weekend. It's been fairly well known that Ayo and THT did not want to play in college together. Chin Coleman was also involved with THT through the Mac Irvin AAU Circuit. There is a decent chance that Ayo is making his decision in advance of THT's visit to indicate he is not going to ILL so that THT could potentially commit there.

That said, THT seems like he's more interested in ASU, but he did just add this official to ILL.

And to follow up on this - another legit point is that THT is now visiting Illinois this weekend. It's been fairly well known that Ayo and THT did not want to play in college together. Chin Coleman was also involved with THT through the Mac Irvin AAU Circuit. There is a decent chance that Ayo is making his decision in advance of THT's visit to indicate he is not going to ILL so that THT could potentially commit there.

That said, THT seems like he's more interested in ASU, but he did just add this official to ILL.

ME FEELS THE VIBES RETURNING! RETURN OF THE VIBES

Is there a reason he's not announcing at his high school? Obviously can do whatever he wants and I do wish him the best wherever he goes, but would seem nice to announce at your high school if you were sticking around the home state....

Is this real? Jesus, that's trolling.

"Cliffmas" was quite the monumental troll job. That's why I would never watch one of these things live.

My fear, well, all of our fears, are probably the result of something like this. And now he's RT'ing the shit out of Wake related stuff, to probably build suspense within the Illini fan base only to reveal he was orange and blue all along, thus solidifying his status as local legend and anointed Savior!

Don't do me (us) like that!! #RISP Tom

I mean, he is hitting a button on his phone. I think the bigger issue is with someone taking twitter seriously enough to find whatever a 17/18 year old kid does on his phone regarding his college selection process to be disrespectful. He is a kid hitting a Like button, it isn't like he is posting about Wake being a shitty place to go. It is possible that he really likes both schools, and will continue to like both schools even after he chooses one of them. I chose between Wake and Yale, I don't run around yelling Fuck Yale at every opportunity since I chose not to attend, I still like the school even though I didn't go there.

Eff Yale! Go Crimson!!

#humblebrag

Last edited:
Illinois fan base isn't 100% confident...from their board...be watching 247 tomorrow afternoon.

"Yep. Tomorrow afternoon is when people should be watching the crystal balls very intently. If flips are going to occur, it'll happen when word begins to leak out. And that typically happens a handful of hours before the announcement.

If we go into the announcement tomorrow evening without any flips to WF, then I think we've got this one. If the predictions start flipping over the next 24-30 hours, we're in trouble."

Top comment on YouTube cracked me up:

"Guy standing up with the all orange hat has the mannerisms of a 1950's softball coach."

I don't think THT's visit is anything more than a courtesy visit before he commits to Iowa St.

I don't know if I'll be banned just for admitting this but I'm an Illinois fan.. I've always rooted for Wake since I don't like Duke and North Carolina and I understand it's been a long road to recovery since the tragedy of Skip Prosser passing. A friend of a friend (Chas Mcfarland) played there at the time and I talked about that with him a few times while partying together.

I think being spurned by all these other Chicago kids (and even Nolley) is going to help Illinois oddly enough for once. Ayo's pitch is, in part, becoming the core of a bringing Illinois back to the level it was at 10-15 years ago. I'm sure that's part of the pitch Danny Manning was making a couple years ago himself and he's successfully done it.

I'm sort of surprised by the snark towards Illinois... Before Bruce Weber piledrived the program with his inability to recruit Illinois was among the top big ten basketball program and playing at a high level consistently. Been a long decade after finally getting rid of Bruce and replacing him with a recruiting clown that shouldn't coach a group of 5th graders.

Brad Underwood was considered a great hire by most pundits.. Solid coach who will play a fun brand of basketball. Luckily he hired Coleman or I don't think we would have any shot with Ayo.

As far as Mark Smith is concerned he's a very high ceiling player.. Was a Mizzou baseball commit until basically late last year and lingering shoulder issues for a pitcher made him decide to switch sports and focus on basketball.. Basically went from a 3*NR to a 4* fringe top 50 kid (on rivals where Bossi actually went and saw him because he was destroying the state of Illinois). Averaged something like 28/9 and won Mr. basketball over some other top 50-100 kids. He has the body of an nba guard right now with great size/athleticism.

Anyways this will probably be my one and only post on here but still will root for you guys minus recruitments or games we go head to head. Manning seems to have you guys going in the right direction.

All this stuff about parents and friends wanting him to go to ILL. so they can watch him play seems really self centered to me. Which is more important, your kids happiness and advancement and success on the court and in school or playing close to home on a really bad team? Lots of parents want their kids to go to school close to home, but realize that is not what the kid wants and what is best for their child and encourage their kids to go where things are best for them. In this case there is no question that Wake is a much better place for Ayo to develop as a player and student. Parents need to put his success ahead of their personal desires. Go Wake

Back