• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Lorng is a somewhat unusual case. He has not been playing basketball since he was taller than the ball. He is relatively new to the game. He still has a lot to learn. He has some things you can't teach: Height and soft hands, according to the limited info on him. Those are some arguments that his upside potential is greater than that of the usual suspect rated around 300. And that more development time might produce greater results.

All of that could be true, but Manning needs immediate results. The team is already short handed for next year. I think even the most optimistic amongst us realize this staff has two more years at most to show real progress. If Manning redshirts him then there is real possibility that he never sees the floor for Manning at all and ends up transferring during the coaching change.

If he's a really good player 4 years from now after red-shirting for a year and then playing 3 years in college, he won't be coming back for that 5th year

This is also true. Pro ball in Europe would be a very strong possibility if he pans out.

Lorng is a somewhat unusual case. He has not been playing basketball since he was taller than the ball. He is relatively new to the game. He still has a lot to learn. He has some things you can't teach: Height and soft hands, according to the limited info on him. Those are some arguments that his upside potential is greater than that of the usual suspect rated around 300. And that more development time might produce greater results.

Manning is coaching for his job. He's not going to spend time next season trying to develop a red shirt bench filler. He's only an unusual case in that we're even giving him a spot on a P5 bench because we have a desperate coach.

The only correct "5 Year plan" for a player like this would be 2 years somewhere else, a transfer, red shirt, and then two years...let someone else take the flyer to see if he develops.

Last edited:
We need better guard play - and with Lewis a complete crapshoot right now we should be spending 100% of the time looking for a PG

Manning is coaching for his job. He's not going to spend time next season trying to develop a red shirt bench filler. He's only an unusual case in that we're even giving him a spot on a P5 bench because we have a desperate coach.

The only correct "5 Year plan" for a player like this would be 2 years somewhere else, a transfer, red shirt, and then two years...let someone else take the flyer to see if he develops.

And you lost me. If this were scholarship 13 I’d agree. Taking a late flyer on a guy because you only have 9-10 scholarships tied up for next year isn’t a sign of desperation, it’s common sense. Turning around and redshirting that guy would be idiotic.

“Clemson has been on me every day; they want me to go 2018,” he told Rivals.com. “I am still thinking about that but I will probably make that decision later now.”
Next up he will visit Wake Forest and South Carolina unofficially Nov. 24 and 25.

“Wake Forest has been hitting me, Coach [Kevin] Keatts from N.C. State was here to see me [Friday] and St. John’s came to see me today,” he told Rivals. “Kansas State is on me hard, too.”

This seems like a positive development that I had overlooked, but now that there are roughly 40 teams showing interest in the kid, it will be quite the coup to reel him in for 2019. Might be tough to beat out Clemson and State for him though.

And you lost me. If this were scholarship 13 I’d agree. Taking a late flyer on a guy because you only have 9-10 scholarships tied up for next year isn’t a sign of desperation, it’s common sense. Turning around and redshirting that guy would be idiotic.

The fact that we only have 9-10 scholarships tied up, are heading into a win or else season, and are taking flyers on late commit bench filler is desperate. It may be common sense, but it's still a desperate act.

That's not at all what I said. Let me make it clearer for you: why would you red shirt a bench filler, taking up 5 years of scholarship, when given any reasonable expectation for the program, you should be able to recruit a better player later?

You don't recruit a nobody in basketball and red shirt him with hope that he contributes 5 years later.

I give RChill a hard time, but I'm even embarrassed for him that two other big Manninginners have this hot take.

Then why does UVA redshirt players? Short of injury, Moore is going to get a ton of minutes at the 5 next year. Sarr is likely to play the 4 and 5. Hoard will play the 4 and maybe 3. Christian might be looking at 5 minutes of PT, maybe. Bigs haven't played a prominent role as freshman under Manning. Doubt this guy will either. I'm not saying a redshirt is definite. But it's not a crazy idea. The season will depend more on the quality of the minutes Hoard and Sarr give than any breather minutes Lorng will provide.

Then why does UVA redshirt players? Short of injury, Moore is going to get a ton of minutes at the 5 next year. Sarr is likely to play the 4 and 5. Hoard will play the 4 and maybe 3. Christian might be looking at 5 minutes of PT, maybe. Bigs haven't played a prominent role as freshman under Manning. Doubt this guy will either. I'm not saying a redshirt is definite. But it's not a crazy idea. The season will depend more on the quality of the minutes Hoard and Sarr give than any breather minutes Lorng will provide.

It sounds like a lorng shot

Christian looks like a step up from Sam to me.

In the two 90 second videos I watched :eek:

We need guys with high motors like Sunday, Chill, and Craw. Because so far Danny hasn't been able to teach/coach high motor.

Christian also fits Danny's need for paint bangers. Kid has got tree trunk legs which should be perfect for banging.

I hope this means that we won't also take Valdir Manuel

Sarr would have been an ideal redshirt candidate if we had post depth. He's of age for his cohort (turned 19 in Feb) and has a high upside, but wouldn't be a threat to leave early. He needs a year in the weight room to get stronger.

I'd be hesitant to redshirt a player worse than him for reasons that have been stated.

Bennett? Really? Even the biggest Manning apologists have admitted that Manning's shot at success is through superior recruiting rather than the development of players within a structured system. Come on now. That said, the 2016 guys Bennett red shirted were ranked 57 and 91, and a 2017 guy ranked 283 who was injured. Stockpiling top 100 talent is just a bit different from red shirting a 338th ranked late desperation commit whose ranking certainly can't be blamed on a quick recruitment.

Again, I ask, why would you extend a guy ranked 338 for 5 years before he ever even steps foot on the court?

Last edited:
This. Redshirt a guy because he’s injured or if you are in the enviable position of recruiting a top 100 guy who won’t play his freshman year because of better guys in front of him.

answered before it was asked. We aren’t UVA.

Bennett? Really? Even the biggest Manning apologists have admitted that Manning's shot at success is through superior recruiting rather than the development of players within a structured system. Come on now. That said, the 2016 guys Bennett red shirted were ranked 57 and 91, and a 2017 guy ranked 283 who was injured. Stockpiling top 100 talent is just a bit different from red shirting a 338th ranked late desperation commit whose ranking certainly can't be blamed on a quick recruitment.

Again, I ask, why would you extend a guy ranked 338 for 5 years before he ever even steps foot on the court?

And if Manning tried to redshirt guys ranked 57 and 91, it would be ridiculous given our current situation. Again, do any of you see this guy contributing major minutes next year?

Welcome Chrisitan Lorng!!!

Offer from AR, Baylor, OK State, Creighton and TN.

let's get a 3pt shooter who is ready to play!

And if Manning tried to redshirt guys ranked 57 and 91, it would be ridiculous given our current situation.

Well, like, duh. We're in no position to red shirt talent. UVA was. In case you forgot, they were the best team in the nation all damn year.

Again, do any of you see this guy contributing major minutes next year?

Of course not. Nor do I see him contributing major minutes in year 2, 3, or 4. Or year 5. So why the hell would you redshirt him? He's Manning's Rondale (393 ranked desperation commit). We're getting stuck with him as Manning is likely on his way out. Why would you commit to giving him five years?

Last edited:
Back