• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

That particular tweet is hardly a slam at Keatts. Positive about Ewing, as it should be for his new coach.

Ewing at Georgetown is not helpful to the narrative of Danny Manning as best big man guru in college BB. I would imagine that Wake and Manning never really crossed Yurt's mind as a destination once he knew about the in-conference transfer two year sit out rule.

I wasn't posting the tweet as a slam of Keatts... I had posted a few minutes before that the only reason I could think of for transferring to Georgetown would be if he bought in to Ewing as a big man guru. Was wishing Manning would also get some players for that reason.

I wasn't posting the tweet as a slam of Keatts... I had posted a few minutes before that the only reason I could think of for transferring to Georgetown would be if he bought in to Ewing as a big man guru. Was wishing Manning would also get some players for that reason.

Would be nice if Manning got a big man transfer who wanted a little Danny Manning polish on his game. Doral seems to be making steady progress. Sam should have been next, but he cut* himself off from further training under Danny.

*I picked that word intentionally.

Rivals finalized their 2018 rankings. Hoard finished as #25 and a 5-star. Mucius is #102 and a 4-star. Wright Jr., Lewis, and Lorng finished as unranked 3-stars. Seems the coaching extension for locking up a big recruiting class was another terrible decision. Outside of Hoard we didn't sign any top 100 guys in Rivals eyes.

Rivals finalized their 2018 rankings. Hoard finished as #25 and a 5-star. Mucius is #102 and a 4-star. Wright Jr., Lewis, and Lorng finished as unranked 3-stars. Seems the coaching extension for locking up a big recruiting class was another terrible decision. Outside of Hoard we didn't sign any top 100 guys in Rivals eyes.

Jamie Lewis is a 4*, but ok.

https://wakeforest.rivals.com/commitments/basketball/2018
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/jamie-lewis-3696

I completely made it up using the language of the Manning-haters. To show how people transfer out of schools for different reasons, many of which we will never know. Sorry to disappoint.

Ahh didn’t catch that. Damn, that would’ve been hilarious

Lewis isn't even in the Rivals 150. The 2018 class is similar to the 2017 class plus Mucius and Lorng. Chaundee was #38 compared to Hoard at #25. Sarr was a low 4* like Lewis and Melo was 3* like Wright.

I think they didn't update his page. Pretty sure if you aren't in the final top 150 that Rivals doesn't count you as a 4-star.

He got bumped out of the 150 due to his injury. Eric Bossi said that they couldn't properly evaluate him because of that.

His #102 ranking on his page was updated, but his star ranking wasn't?

If anyone looks back historically Rivals has never had anyone in the last 10 years ranked as a 4 star that did not finish #135 or higher, hence if you are not top 150 you are not a 4 star.

Unless my eyes are really bad, when I looked at the list, Hoard only had four stars beside his name, even though the next four guys below him each had five. What's up with that?

Pretty surprising that Mucius fell out of the top 100. Thought he would end up just inside, not just outside. Lewis was generally expected to fall after not playing for two years. Thought Wright might have been ranked. Lorng was a reach the day he committed.

Mucius got jumped by two Michigan recruits a Buffalo recruit and Jame Akinjo all of whom made significant jumps (more than 35 spots), as well as some others in his drop to 102.

Duke down to only three top 10's on the list (but all in the top 5).

Lewis isn't even in the Rivals 150. The 2018 class is similar to the 2017 class plus Mucius and Lorng. Chaundee was #38 compared to Hoard at #25. Sarr was a low 4* like Lewis and Melo was 3* like Wright.

So, is it fact or fiction that Manning is a great recruiter? He certainly works hard, but are the results outstanding?

In other words it has 1 good player, 1 project that could potentially be good, and the rest is a waste of time. Not gonna win the ACC like that.

Unless my eyes are really bad, when I looked at the list, Hoard only had four stars beside his name, even though the next four guys below him each had five. What's up with that?

Pretty surprising that Mucius fell out of the top 100. Thought he would end up just inside, not just outside. Lewis was generally expected to fall after not playing for two years. Thought Wright might have been ranked. Lorng was a reach the day he committed.

Mucius got jumped by two Michigan recruits a Buffalo recruit and Jame Akinjo all of whom made significant jumps (more than 35 spots), as well as some others in his drop to 102.

Duke down to only three top 10's on the list (but all in the top 5).

Pretty sure they updated the numbers but not the stars associated with them or the players' personal pages. Hoard will be 5 star, Mucius 4 star, the rest will be 3 star.

I don't think anyone has ever argued that he is a "great" recruiter.

I think he and the staff put forth a good effort in the recruiting game, but it is clearly more difficult to recruit right now after the shitshow that was last season. In retrospect, it is also pretty obvious that he never really had a honeymoon period on the recruiting trail that we have seen from some others (Ewing's probably still qualifies as "honeymoon" given Georgetown sucked last year, too).

I thought adding Jones to the staff was supposed to help?

If we don't win a lot of games this year, I think any recruiting momentum will cease (if there was any to begin with). That'll be a death knell for Manning.

Having said all of that, it is clearly better than it was under Bz... But as others have stated, it probably isn't enough.

So, is it fact or fiction that Manning is a great recruiter? He certainly works hard, but are the results outstanding?

Manning looks like a good recruiter relative to [Redacted]'s atrocious recruiting. Manning is not a great recruiter though.

The top rated guy in the class having a rating 30% higher (and a solid five star?) than the highest rated guy last year is an improvement. Jamie Lewis is the wild card in this class. He was about #100 when injured. Not sure anybody knows what he will be when he arrives to play. Having Mucius at #102 is a pretty significant improvement over nobody when comparing class to class. Lorng is obviously the fifth guy "flyer" in the current class.

Wonder if we can still preach "culture" is why we lose games/top recruits, while snagging grad transfers who look gang affiliated on their twitter page.

Back