• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Certainly positive.

Sounds like the decision is at least a few weeks away. Dixon mentions that he is planning on taking all five visits - we were the second scheduled after Memphis. Upcoming is Ole Miss on April 29, Nevada "shortly thereafter", and Penn State potentially this upcoming weekend. If he ends up seeing all five schools, then realistically we are looking at an early/mid-May timeline.

This is a generic grad transfer question, not aimed at anyone in particular: What, if any, GPA requirements are there for one to remain eligible for the second semester of their final season? The same as for a Senior? I'm assuming a grad transfer can't just show up on campus and play the entire season without ever taking and completing a Fall semester class. In the spirit of the Holes, maybe "independent study" classes count.

This is a generic grad transfer question, not aimed at anyone in particular: What, if any, GPA requirements are there for one to remain eligible for the second semester of their final season? The same as for a Senior? I'm assuming a grad transfer can't just show up on campus and play the entire season without ever taking and completing a Fall semester class. In the spirit of the Holes, maybe "independent study" classes count.

He already will have his bachelor's degree when he arrives. Presumably he would be governed by Wake rules on making progress in whatever graduate degree program he has chosen. Usually first semester of graduate school is additional academic classes with some research time toward the graduate degree thesis.

Kam McGusty to transfer to Miami.

He already will have his bachelor's degree when he arrives. Presumably he would be governed by Wake rules on making progress in whatever graduate degree program he has chosen. Usually first semester of graduate school is additional academic classes with some research time toward the graduate degree thesis.

I guess my original post was to the point of whether the NCAA cares about grad transfers going to class.

I guess my original post was to the point of whether the NCAA cares about grad transfers going to class.

They would probably fall under the "fifth year of enrollment criteria - 8 hours first semester, 18 hours for the academic year. All credits going toward declared degree. Meet degree GPA requirements.

Interesting note on Nat Dixon. He started in college on football scholarship at BC. After a year at BC he went JuCo to play BB and then went to UT-Chattanooga the last two years. So he is pretty well traveled and familiar with transferring. He will have attended four schools in five years. Apparently his true freshman season playing football at BC counted as a "redshirt" year for his basketball eligibility.

As far as I know, that football year wouldn't have anything to do with his basketball eligibility (i.e. *not* a redshirt season) except for that he only has a five-year clock to play four seasons of NCAA basketball. I have no idea what a juco year does for his clock or whether that clock restarts when he switches schools and sports. Very confusing situation.

As far as I know, that football year wouldn't have anything to do with his basketball eligibility (i.e. *not* a redshirt season) except for that he only has a five-year clock to play four seasons of NCAA basketball. I have no idea what a juco year does for his clock or whether that clock restarts when he switches schools and sports. Very confusing situation.

His freshman year at BC counted as his redshirt year for basketball. He "could have" played basketball at BC, as he was enrolled as a student there. Attending a JuCo does not change the five year clock. His clock would have started whether he enrolled at BC or enrolled initially as a freshman in the Juco. Going to Juco means he didn't lose a year of eligibility transferring out of BC. By going Juco and finishing his second year of college there, and presumably earning his AA, he could go to any four year college and immediately be eligible. Because he only played one previous year, he arrived at Chattanooga with three years of eligibility. He played two years there, presumably is about to complete his bachelor's degree requirements, and is therefore eligible to transfer and become a graduate student at his new school this summer/fall. He will have one year of eligibility to play BB in 2018 - 2019.

His freshman year at BC counted as his redshirt year for basketball. He "could have" played basketball at BC, as he was enrolled as a student there. Attending a JuCo does not change the five year clock. His clock would have started whether he enrolled at BC or enrolled initially as a freshman in the Juco. Going to Juco means he didn't lose a year of eligibility transferring out of BC. By going Juco and finishing his second year of college there, and presumably earning his AA, he could go to any four year college and immediately be eligible. Because he only played one previous year, he arrived at Chattanooga with three years of eligibility. He played two years there, presumably is about to complete his bachelor's degree requirements, and is therefore eligible to transfer and become a graduate student at his new school this summer/fall. He will have one year of eligibility to play BB in 2018 - 2019.
Ok yes, this all makes sense. I agree with everything except the "redshirt year for basketball". It won't count as a redshirt year for the basketball team unless he officially redshirted for the basketball team. His problem is that his five year clock will run out with a year of basketball eligibility remaining that he can not use.

Ok yes, this all makes sense. I agree with everything except the "redshirt year for basketball". It won't count as a redshirt year for the basketball team unless he officially redshirted for the basketball team. His problem is that his five year clock will run out with a year of basketball eligibility remaining that he can not use.

It does not matter if he officially red-shirted or not, he did not play basketball his freshman year at BC. Under NCAA rules, an athlete has 5 school years to complete 4 seasons of eligibility in any sport, Nat Dixon has spent 4 years in college and played 3 seasons of hoop (one at JUCO and two at Chattanooga). He has one basketball season left. For example, a student athlete could play four years of basketball at WF, and then comeback for a fifth year and play football (or any other sport except basketball).

Link to the NCAA rule: http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

Last edited:

It doesn't matter to the NCAA what a student is doing during a year in which he in "on the clock" for his five years of eligibility. Any year you are on the clock but don't play is colloquially known as a red shirt year. He wasn't officially associated with the basketball team at BC, so his year there isn't the prototypical voluntary red shirt year. NCAA doesn't officially have a category called "redshirt year." An individual simply has five years of eligibility beginning at the date of his initial enrollment at an NCAA member school to use four years of playing time. At the end of five years, his eligibility ends, whether he has played zero seconds or over 4800 minutes of BB. (That is how much you could play if you played all 40 minutes for 30 games a season for four years). The exception is if a player sustains injury in two or more years.

They simply count any year in which you play AT ALL as a year of eligibility used unless you are injured for a substantial part of it. That is why few basketball players are deemed "sufficiently healed" in February or March when they suffer significant injury in the first quarter of the season. That is the cutoff for having a medical year out.

The NCAA only officially recognizes injury years as reasons to give players time beyond the five years to compete. That is, if the only reason you don't compete during a given year is because of injury, and you have a second year in which you are unable to compete because of injury, you can petition the NCAA for a sixth year of eligibility. If the reason you don't compete during one of the five years in your clock is voluntary (not injury), it is unlikely you get a sixth year.

Daniel Green was an example of somebody given a sixth year to complete his four years of eligibility. He played as a true freshman, had two injury years at Wake and then got a 6th year (at Missouri, maybe?).

In terms of having 5 years eligibility and playing multiple sports, the most obvious example is probably Paulus at Duke/Cuse. Played 4 seasons at Duke before transferring to Cuse to play football, but once he got there he only had 1 season of eligibility (even though he had never stepped on a collegiate football field until he was 22). He then proceeded to be incredibly average at Cuse that year

It does not matter if he officially red-shirted or not, he did not play basketball his freshman year at BC. Under NCAA rules, an athlete has 5 school years to complete 4 seasons of eligibility in any sport, Nat Dixon has spent 4 years in college and played 3 seasons of hoop (one at JUCO and two at Chattanooga). He has one basketball season left. For example, a student athlete could play four years of basketball at WF, and then comeback for a fifth year and play football (or any other sport except basketball).

Link to the NCAA rule: http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms
Yes, that's exactly what I said. I was taking issue with the fact that he claimed Dixon had taken a basketball redshirt at BC, which he presumably did not.

In other words it has 1 good player, 1 project that could potentially be good, and the rest is a waste of time. Not gonna win the ACC like that.

you do continue to show your lack of basketball knowledge and irrational perspective. You describe Hoard as a 5 star as "1 good player." Mucius as a 4 star in one of the handful of major all star games that must now cater to "projects that might potentially be good." and a former Top 100 sticking with us and us with him thru injury that NO ONE knows how he might play and the 6'8" guard son of a major college player as "a waste of time." What a joke of an assessment.
The only waste of time is the fact that any of us give you any modicum of interest. No longer, you can rail against the future players for our team without my witness. Folks, he is not worth the time to read. #ignorenetflixnchildres

It is semantics if you don't want to call him a redshirt. Call it what you want. I use redshirt because it accurately describes his situation. He is a fourth year student who has used three years of basketball eligibility. Academically he is a senior and about to graduate. He still has his fourth year of eligibility.

Dixon elected to not play basketball his freshman year at BC. His 5 year eligibility clock began to run when he enrolled at BC in the summer of 2014.

"Redshirt" is not an official status with NCAA. It is merely a convenient shorthand term for a year of voluntarily not playing during the 5 year period of eligibility. By not even being part of the team he was voluntarily not playing during his first year of eligibility. Redshirt junior is a simple way of designating someone who is academically a year ahead of his athletic status.

I don't think there are very strict NCAA rules on grad students staying eligible (at least not as strict as undergrads). I'm sure they have to go to class the first semester, but I remember reading somewhere that at certain schools, very few grad transfers actually finished the coursework they were supposed to and basically stopped trying during the spring semester.

On a related note, I'm pretty sure I remember U*NC-Cheat having a football player that didn't have the GPA to be eligible for his Sr year, so they somehow graduated him and listed him as a grad student and he was able to play. I'm sure it was just an academic issue, though.:tard:

Grad students probably have to meet the NCAA minimum class load of at least 6 semester hours in the fall (or whatever the school requires to be a full time grad student). In spring they would need enough additional courses to get to 18 semester hours for the year. How much actually gets done after Feb? Who knows. Some are probably pretty diligent and really work for a useful degree. Others just take minimums to stay eligible.

Last edited:
Back