• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Doesn't seem to be a ton of mutual interest, but still being listed under Jordan Shepherd's "also considering". Doesn't make much sense, even if Craw leaves since Shepherd will need to sit-out next year. Would certainly pass on this one:

Jordan Shepherd, G, Oklahoma: Shepherd tells The Fieldhouse that he plans to make official visits to Loyola-Chicago, San Diego and Charlotte. He’s also still considering Georgia Tech, Clemson, South Carolina, Wake Forest, Stephen F. Austin, College of Charleston, St. John’s and Penn. The sophomore averaged 2.3 points in 11.4 minutes this past season as OU’s backup point guard.

I think Shepard is from NC or went to HS here. I could see taking both redshirt transfers Shepard and SKJ. Played in Power 5 started at some point for both. Let them come back to NC compete on the scout team and be ready to go with Brandon as a Senior.

The OU offer for Shepherd was puzzling. It was proven to be a mistake. Pass.

I think Shepard is from NC or went to HS here. I could see taking both redshirt transfers Shepard and SKJ. Played in Power 5 started at some point for both. Let them come back to NC compete on the scout team and be ready to go with Brandon as a Senior.

Agreed on SKJ. Don't see the benefit of tying up a scholarship for Shepherd.

I don't recall if this was posted about SKJ, but we did make his top-ten. Some strong competition, though:

Kentucky big man Sacha Killeya-Jones is a former top-25 recruit and he’s back on the market after a couple of seasons with the Wildcats. Six ACC schools have made his top 10: NC State, UNC, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh, Clemson, and Notre Dame. Georgetown, Texas, Arizona State, and Nevada are also in the mix.

https://www.backingthepack.com/nc-state-basketball-recruiting/2018/4/14/17238802/sacha-killeya-jones-transfer-kentucky-nc-state-unc-texas-georgetown

I can't find a date, but the final ESPN 2018 rankings are out:

Jaylen Hoard @ #20
Isaiah Mucius @ #71

Apologies if this is old, but it was on the ESPN front page... I just assumed it was new.

I can't find a date, but the final ESPN 2018 rankings are out:

Jaylen Hoard @ #20
Isaiah Mucius @ #71

Apologies if this is old, but it was on the ESPN front page... I just assumed it was new.

Jamie Lewis @ enigma

Can't vouch for these guys but they do have an active twitter presence. They have 4 of our guys in the top 100, but the order is kind of strange to say the least.
36. Mucius
37. Hoard
75. Lewis
97. Wright, Jr.

It would be nice if they were on target on Mucius, Lewis and Wright, Jr.
https://future150.com/

Can't vouch for these guys but they do have an active twitter presence. They have 4 of our guys in the top 100, but the order is kind of strange to say the least.
36. Mucius
37. Hoard
75. Lewis
97. Wright, Jr.

They don't update very much. What I saw about Hoard in his bio still had him listed as "warm" for Wake with an offer, same as about 7 other schools. Nothing in the status column about the fact he actually signed his LOI. So I don't know how much I would believe their rankings.

That is a really good ranking for Jamie Lewis, a guy who hasn't played in an official basketball game in two years. I think that is even higher than he was ranked when he was playing as a HS sophomore.

36. Mucius
37. Hoard
75. Lewis
97. Wright, Jr.

That is, indeed, a weird site. They don't even have Mucius or Hoard as committed to Wake Forest.

8th Grade Nationals (July 12th-16th, 2014): It's been pretty clear now for the past few years that there isn't a better combo guard in the state of Georgia than the 6-foot-2 Lewis. A natural scorer, he knows how to get baskets from both mid-range and 3-point range and is also capable of running his team as well.

I'm sorry, what? Are they saying that by 8th grade in 2014, it had already been known (for years) that Lewis was the best combo guard in the state of Georgia?

That is some Damon Bailey type shit right there.

https://future150.com/hs/basketball-news/future150-mainevent-atl-13u-recap

Make sure to click the link to check out Zachary Lyon's thoughts on the 13U Main Event Atlanta tourney. Zachary Lyon covers high school and middle school basketball in NC/SC/VA.

MIDDLE SCHOOL BASKETBALL COVERAGE!

This is an excerpt:
Milton Gibbs, 2024 G, Georgia United Showtime (GA): Playing up in the 13U division as a 2024 prospect, Gibbs showed off his advanced knowledge of the game and his craftiness on the offensive end. Georgia United definitely benefited from having this young man at the helm and directing traffic this past weekend!

Funny, didn’t say Future150 was any good but thought maybe Manning was using it to pick who to recruit (j/k).

Interesting note on Nat Dixon. He started in college on football scholarship at BC. After a year at BC he went JuCo to play BB and then went to UT-Chattanooga the last two years. So he is pretty well traveled and familiar with transferring. He will have attended four schools in five years. Apparently his true freshman season playing football at BC counted as a "redshirt" year for his basketball eligibility.

If we are being realistic there are two guys on this list who have a good chance to wind up in the Old Gold and Black next year. They are former Chattanooga shooting guard Nat Dixon and former Boston University combo guard Cheddi Mosely.

There is always a chance that somebody else could pop up, but Dixon is on his official visit to Wake Forest this weekend, while Mosely has narrowed it down to Wake Forest, St. Bonaventure, Rhode Island and Delaware.

Let’s take a look at these two guys:

Nat Dixon 6-4 SG (Chattanooga)

Dixon is 6-4 shooting guard who would likely step in and start at the 2-guard position for the 2018-19 season. We know that head coach Danny Manning likes to run three-guard lineups, so if Crawford comes back then there is a chance that Wake could once again go with a Childress, Crawford, Dixon lineup, but hopefully with the fresmen coming in he has learned his lesson from the small-ball failures of next year.

Interestingly enough, the transfer from Chattanooga who averaged nearly 14 points per game last year for the Mocs, was a football player at Boston College before he decided he would rather play basketball.

Dixon is a pretty highly touted transfer at this point in time, as you can see from the other schools going after him. I’ve heard that the visit to Winston-Salem this weekend went pretty well and the Deacs are in a good place to land Dixon.

He shot nearly 39% from behind the three-point line last year on 157 attempts for the 10-23 Chattanooga team. At 6-4, 180, he played a bit at the 1, 2, and 3 for the Mocs, and I think is a natural fit at the shooting guard position for Wake Forest.

His 106 offensive efficiency was a huge step up from his 98 rating during his first season in Chattanooga, and it is safe to project that he would take another pretty meaningful step as he heads into his final season of collegiate basketball.

Given the guys who are out there seriously considering Wake Forest I believe Dixon is our top priority and would be an awesome get to replace Keyshawn Woods.

Cheddi Mosely - 6-3 CG (Boston University)

The other option for Wake Forest is Boston Terriers combo guard Cheddi Mosely. He is a 6-3 guard who played both guard positions at Boston. There are more questions surrounding Mosely than Dixon, particularly surrounding the status of his health, as a knee injury that kept him out most of last season, playing in just the first two games of 2017-18.

In addition to the injury last season, Mosely also missed a good bit of 2016 due to an “internal matter” with Boston University. There aren’t a lot of details regarding that, but I am sure if Wake wound up taking him on that the situation would be looked at in-depth.

Mosely averaged 13 PPG as a sophomore, demonstrating an ability to get the ball in the basket in a variety of ways. As a freshman he shot 41% on threes on 129 attempts, but that dropped to 32% as a sophomore.

Aside from scoring Mosely doesn’t necessarily bring a lot to the table honestly. He has a mediocre assist and rebounding rate for a guard, and an above average shot usage.

Between Mosely and Dixon I think Dixon is clearly the better player, and unless Mosely is our only available option I’m not sure how good of a fit he is with what Wake Forest is trying to do moving forward.

That being said, N.C. State and Ohio State both expressed initial interest in Mosely, and Wake was considered on of the schools going after him the hardest. Ultimately I think the final four schools indicate what level Mosely should be playing on, and even with the open spots I would prefer those minutes next year go to younger players if we can’t get a guy who we have a strong idea will be a starting shooting guard for us for 2018-19.

Conclusion

While there is very little risk in reaching out to a lot of different types of graduate transfer players given the open scholarship numbers for Wake Forest, I think Nat Dixon is the best fit for the Deacs regardless of what type of team we have heading into next year.

you do continue to show your lack of basketball knowledge and irrational perspective. You describe Hoard as a 5 star as "1 good player." Mucius as a 4 star in one of the handful of major all star games that must now cater to "projects that might potentially be good." and a former Top 100 sticking with us and us with him thru injury that NO ONE knows how he might play and the 6'8" guard son of a major college player as "a waste of time." What a joke of an assessment.
The only waste of time is the fact that any of us give you any modicum of interest. No longer, you can rail against the future players for our team without my witness. Folks, he is not worth the time to read. #ignorenetflixnchildres

First off, your lack of basketball knowledge is evident because Wright Jr. is nowhere near 6'8. I also don't give a fuck what your opinion is of me. But I'm pretty sure I know whats going on here.
rabwuf.gif

I bet its because
o8xcap.gif

So call me when someone not named Hoard or Mucius wins us some ACC games next year, but until then you can
23rpc90.jpg

Smart kid, good handles for his height, dunks it strong and has a soft mid-range J. Good thing Charlotte has 2 good SFs in 2019, since the Wendell Moore train has cooled off. Maybe if Charlotte becomes the basketball mecca of the US we can get some more top recruits.

Back