• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Yeah, at this point, Sarr has a huge opportunity, and I really like his game. Not sure he is quite ready for the minutes he will get, but the young man is very talented. Would have been better to have one more year as the secondary guy. If we end up snagging Porter, I don't think we see much of a downgrade from Moore, and to be honest, Porter might be an upgrade. Smart is definitely a downgrade, and will force Sarr to be a major contributor from day one. Assuming Crawford returns I kind of like the lineup of:

Crawford
Chill
Brown
Hoard
Sarr

Hoard and Brown are going to have to overcome some rebounding deficiencies of Sarr (even if he bulks up, he is going to need some help), but that is a fast, good shooting, athletic lineup. If Porter signs (not sure on the likelihood) then I think he starts, not sure who would get bumped...most likely Sarr or we might keep Childress coming off the bench and go big. Porter makes such a big difference to this next year's team. If we sign a post-grad shooter (particularly if its Dixon, then he slides into Childress' spot most likely).

Crawford
Dixon
Brown
Hoard
Porter

Childress
Mucius
Sarr
Okeke

Is a pretty fun 9, and one that should win a lot of ball games. It kind of all depends on the grad transfer market. We have lost some significant pieces in Woods (don't think that will hurt us all that much) and Moore (will definitely hurt). From what I have seen Dixon is a significant upgrade in defensive mobility, and a slight downgrade in offensive production. Porter is a pretty even swap for Doral, and could be an upgrade. Smart is a clear downgrade, but does provide some toughness and rebounding, and worst case scenario we need to sign a big that can do that.

I would love to see a lot of a Crawford, Brown, Mucius, Haord, Sarr (insert Porter if possible) lineup. I think people are sleeping on Mucius' 3pt ability. It's a tall and long lineup that a defensive minded (or good) coach could have a lot of fun with.

I like Sarr, but he needs to get significantly stronger to rebound and D effectively anywhere down low. Maybe he gets there this year. But expecting Sarr in one off season to replace all Doral's production, which took 3 years of development to reach, has a high risk of failure.

RJ has confirmed that Sarr was just tired this year. Apparently over the summer he will sleep, and that will make him great.

I like Sarr, but he needs to get significantly stronger to rebound and D effectively anywhere down low. Maybe he gets there this year. But expecting Sarr in one off season to replace all Doral's production, which took 3 years of development to reach, has a high risk of failure.

Yeah, didn't mean to imply that Sarr can be expected to make anywhere near the impact of Doral... I just meant that I expect him to get the majority of the minutes at the 5 if we don't bring anyone else in (beyond Smart). I think Sarr is a better 5 than a 4. Hope he's hitting the gym (and the buffet).

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-recruiting/article209575049.html

Interesting article... The perception is that the 2018 class is a bunch of softees.

I hadn't really heard that before, but I guess the last few weeks have helped to fuel that argument.
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

----------

247Sports national recruiting analyst Evan Daniels, speaking to the Herald-Leader late last week about the 2018 class as a whole, indicated that his colleagues weren’t going too far with those comments. He’s noticed it, too.

“This is one of the least talented classes that I have covered,” Daniels said. “And when you throw in the fact that very few of them give effort or play hard, it accentuates that a great deal.”

I put a lot of stock in Daniels's opinion. Duke's incoming freshmen are really not all that impressive to me in the times I've watched them. UVA will easily win the conference (again) next year.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-recruiting/article209575049.html

Interesting article... The perception is that the 2018 class is a bunch of softees.

I hadn't really heard that before, but I guess the last few weeks have helped to fuel that argument.

Agree in a lot of ways. I think we have some real competitors in our signing class. From what I have seen of Hoard, Mucius, and Wright Jr...they like to compete. I have had a decent amount of twitter conversations with Wright Sr. (DM and public) about his views on life, basketball, etc... and he is not the kind of dad that coddles his kid. I think Wright Jr. will come in ready to compete in practice. I still don't know what he will bring to the table immediately because he is kind of a jack of all trades, master of none sort of player, but the young man goes hard.

Switching gears....

This class with Ayo sure would have been one to remember...what could have been for both of us. That Illinois class is hot garbage without Ayo at the top.

Viewing their class I took a look at their around 100 signee Tevian Jones (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhzDBt2NXTk) and compared him to our around 100 signed Mucius (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sYR2O7geZg) Obviously #highlightclips on both, but if you look at the fundamentals of the shot, the raw athleticism, and the aggressiveness of both of the players (and don't get blinded by the slow-mo's), I can't see how these two players are ranked in the same tier. Mucius is going to be a very solid player for us....His only deal is growing into his frame appropriately and continuing to improve his jumpshot.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

----------

247Sports national recruiting analyst Evan Daniels, speaking to the Herald-Leader late last week about the 2018 class as a whole, indicated that his colleagues weren’t going too far with those comments. He’s noticed it, too.

“This is one of the least talented classes that I have covered,” Daniels said. “And when you throw in the fact that very few of them give effort or play hard, it accentuates that a great deal.”

I put a lot of stock in Daniels's opinion. Duke's incoming freshmen are really not all that impressive to me in the times I've watched them. UVA will easily win the conference (again) next year.

So what people are saying is that next year's NBA draft class might be a little weak....I wonder who could have possibly taken advantage of that? :cool:

“This is one of the least talented classes that I have covered,” Daniels said. “And when you throw in the fact that very few of them give effort or play hard, it accentuates that a great deal.” Yikes.

Yeah, didn't mean to imply that Sarr can be expected to make anywhere near the impact of Doral... I just meant that I expect him to get the majority of the minutes at the 5 if we don't bring anyone else in (beyond Smart). I think Sarr is a better 5 than a 4. Hope he's hitting the gym (and the buffet).

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that Sarr would average a double double and 2.5 blocks. I just meant that he, more that Smart or Lorng, will be expected to play the most minutes at the 5.

I don't subscribe to The Athletic, but I still thought this was an interesting tweet re: Syracuse & Bazley. Crazy to me that Boeheim still hasn't talked with him.

I think we're going to see several minutes from a small lineup with Brown, Mucius, and Hoard in the frontcourt.

Patrick Williams showed off a good 3 point shot this past weekend. Justin Moore & Patrick Williams would make for a nice perimeter duo.

2a7iczl.png

https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

Back