• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Looks like best case scenario for 2019 would be Anthony Harris, Wendell Moore, Omar Payne. We've fallen off with other top targets. DM has to lock in on those 3 guys and try to seal the deal. Moore probably the hardest since Duke and UNC are involved, but we've done a good job recruiting throughout his HS career. If Hoard starts off well that could help us.

I bet we get 1 of 3 to headline the class. The last 2 recruiting classes have had a headliner(Chaundeac and Hoard), and I see no reason why 2019 will be any different.

So who are the next tier of prospects, guys outside the top 100 we are likely to get?

Or we could just have a discussion about our differing viewpoints....

Danny hasn't put much time into anyone outside the top 100-125 players because he knows his job is on the line so he needs to shoot for the stars.

I look forward to people singing the praises of 2019's Richard Washington, Donovan Mitchell, and SJM.

Some of y'all are just miserable. Not sure if you are miserable people or simply miserable as it relates to being bullish on Wake hoops. 3 out of the last 4 years we have won a 4-star+ (exception, John Collins) in a recruiting battle with a top tier program (Florida, Kansas (2), so lots of on court reasons to complain about Manning. Recruiting and off court conduct, not so much.

That said, there are certainly reasons to be anxious, but a lot of the "Manning on the hotseat" talk has simply been ginned up here. Not sure how real it is in the eyes of a top tier recruit.

Two people have votes that count. Wellman and Hatch. Both are Manning in. And they backed it with the contract extension at the beginning of this past season. From a recruit's perspective that should be end of discussion.

Two people have votes that count. Wellman and Hatch. Both are Manning in. And they backed it with the contract extension at the beginning of this past season. From a recruit's perspective that should be end of discussion.
Don't forget the Board of Trustees.

All that being said I am sure other schools are negative recruiting Manning's security and that he will pop up on most preseason media "hot seat" lists. Of course a strong start to next season in OOC and landing 1 of those top 3 recruits by November could ease any negative recruiting concerns.

The FBI thing deals with people, not really schools. The NCAA will deal with the schools. No way they wait 5 plus years. Normally they have to do their own investigation, and it's normally done with one arm tied behind their back. In this case the Feds have done all that leg work for them.

Exactly. The NCAA isn't going to touch anyone involved in that investigation until the FBI is done. I think that investigation will last 3-5 more years, and thus the NCAA does nothing concerning anything involving that scandal until that time period is over. I think there's a lot of reason to think the FBI may not have the smoking gun that some think (given the aggressive denials of Sean Miller and others) so who knows what will happen out of all of this.

Exactly. The NCAA isn't going to touch anyone involved in that investigation until the FBI is done. I think that investigation will last 3-5 more years, and thus the NCAA does nothing concerning anything involving that scandal until that time period is over. I think there's a lot of reason to think the FBI may not have the smoking gun that some think (given the aggressive denials of Sean Miller and others) so who knows what will happen out of all of this.

All they need to show is a money trail, which there blatantly is with DSJ.

All they need to show is a money trail, which there blatantly is with DSJ.

If you believe what all the leaks are saying that are letting the info out. There has been nothing sent out other than words from an unnamed source. We will see how it all works out. Will be a while from now.

Do we need a separate thread for this State investigation?

Anything good or Wake...this thread is so sad.

A little perspective would be nice.

Recruits that have signed (by composite ranking):

1 - 25: 3
26 - 50: 8
51 - 100: 10
101 - 150: 8
151 - 250: 13

So out of the top 250 recruits in the country we have a total of 42 student athletes who have verballed. I am not sure what some of ya'll expect. Kids don't commit this time of year for the most part (less than 20%). This is evaluation, relationship building time. We may not have a good recruiting class in 2019, but at this point we really have no idea. This thread is only terrible because the loudest voices on this board keep using non-evidence as evidence that our recruiting is failing. If we stopped using this thread as another opportunity to express our discontent, and just focused on following the player that the staff shows interest in, it would be a fun thread. Instead we get mohr complaining and apparently State sanction discussion. Great work everyone.

We are 'warm' on:

Wendell Moore (#19) - UNC / Duke in the lead
Tyrese Samuel (#68) - Wide Open
Anthony Harris (#72) - VT in the lead

Obviously we have a lot of other offers out there as well that the staff is pursuing. It is simply too early to know who we will end up with. We will know a lot more by August and September - which is when the dominos usually start to fall.

Last edited:
There is a WakeForestSports article on 247.com this morning with Mucius interviewed. Obviously, he is pretty bullish on next year and said exactly what I mentioned here about a week ago - to some degree recruits see last year's down year as a result of Manning and staff developing the hell out of Collins + Dinos leaving. Collins "showed out" and got that 1st round money a year or two earlier than he would have [elsewhere].

Now, we shall see, but I found it somewhat comforting that that specific narrative was repeated by Mucius himself. Interestingly, he also mentioned that Oliver Sarr has "bulked up" a lot but Sarr has stayed off twitter for a long while and I couldn't find any proof of that. Last year, I think it was mid to late summer before we got proof via photos and Ryan Horn twitter of Doral Moore, so maybe we have to wait a few months. Would be really great if Sarr turned into a legit stretch 4 with some muscle and can give us 30 minutes. Seems like a bit of a stretch (get it, stretch?), but still, would go a long way to making next year fun.

I've posted a few things from Ryan Horn's IG... Sarr is over 230lbs at this point. He's never going to be Doral's size, but he's definitely put on some weight (and added strength) so far this offseason.

Recruits have personal goals and team goals. Personal goals are usually development and getting to the league. Team goals, like wins, are important insofar as they are a part of getting the big personal goal accomplished.

Good to hear Mucius talking about Collins and Dinos' departures as positives. And handling last year's disappointing season as the price of rapid development of Collins in particular, rarher than an indictment of the staff as "incompetent" as many on here have. Maybe we need to listen to those most closely involved for a better perspective.

Back