• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

You are correct RJ but that said they will likely be better than us soon and the program has a lot more buzz and energy than ours right now

Jeff Capel has proven to be an incompetent coach. If Blake Griffin hadn't been born in OK, Capel wouldn't have gotten the Pitt job. To assume that he will make Pitt competitive is simply forgetting his history and being overtly negative about our future.

Stats are great for some here. That is until they disprove their knee jerk positions.

I think Capel has built up some very good recruiting connections from his Duke days. He's gonna recruit pretty well there, I think. Now will that translate to on-court success? I'm not sure, but immediately dismissing the idea that he could succeed there seems a bit short-sighted.

Reactions: Ayo
there are some coaches in the ACC who have proven themselves to be incompetent; I agree with that...

First of all, I was responding to the absurd concept that because Capel beat Manning with Duke's talent that he would beat Manning regardless of talent. Basically anyone on this board could coach Duke to beating Wake.

It's one thing to recruit at Duke and quite another to do so at Pitt. At Duke, you select more than recruit. As long as K is there, almost anyone could be a top recruiter. The concept that Capel will get Burger Boys at Pitt is not likely to be proven. The reality is he got one local, superstar kid at OU and not much else.

I didn't "immediately dismiss" Capel. I showed his actual history as a HC.

I think Capel has built up some very good recruiting connections from his Duke days. He's gonna recruit pretty well there, I think. Now will that translate to on-court success? I'm not sure, but immediately dismissing the idea that he could succeed there seems a bit short-sighted.
RJ could take the exact same fact pattern about a coach he likes and a coach he doesn't like, reached diametrically opposite positions, and express each position with absolute certainty.

It's one thing to recruit at Duke and quite another to do so at Pitt. At Duke, you select more than recruit. As long as K is there, almost anyone could be a top recruiter. The concept that Capel will get Burger Boys at Pitt is not likely to be proven. The reality is he got one local, superstar kid at OU and not much else.

I didn't "immediately dismiss" Capel. I showed his actual history as a HC.

All of this. Capel will recruit fine but he can't coach a lick. He's a poor man's Gott, and that's not anything anyone should worry about. Maybe a step up from Stallings but he won't turn that program around. Actually kinda sad he didn't stick around and actually get the Duke job.

Manning has proven to be an incompetent coach. If John Collins hadn't proven to be far more talented than his ranking, Manning wouldn't have made the tournament last year. To assume that he will make Wake competitive in the future is simply forgetting his history and being overtly positive about our future.

Stats are great for some here. That is until they disprove their knee jerk positions.

Agreed!!

In more relevant recruiting news, looks like Saddiq Bey is down to Wake, Vandy, and BC.

In more relevant recruiting news, looks like Saddiq Bey is down to Wake, Vandy, and BC.

It would be nice if we could find out what his status is with respect to NCAA and ACC transfer between conference schools rules.
Is he eligible immediately?
Does he have to sit out a year?
Does he lose a year of eligibility if he goes to Wake or BC?

I'll update the first post this afternoon.

Saddiq Bey
6'6-6'8, 185-195
SF, 2018

Rivals: 4-star (#118 overall, #30 SF)
ESPN: 4-star (UR overall, #28 SF)
247: 4-star (#101 overall, #27 SF)

An article from when he originally committed to NC State:

It was a warm Monday evening in the middle of June, and Saddiq Bey, spiky hair extending his 6-foot-8 frame, strode to the middle of the court with a smile spread across his face.

“Who is this kid?” a local high school assistant coach asked from the stands as Bey prepared for the jump ball.

“You haven’t seen Saddiq Bey play?” answered a recruiter for an area AAU team. “Oh, man, just watch.”

This is exactly how Bey wants it, for people to know him after they have seen him play. No hollow hype. No off-court trouble. No noise. Coaches describe the Sidwell Friends senior as “really cerebral.” The Largo, Maryland, native prefers to observe and listen, and he speaks in a deep, quiet voice if he has something important to say. He joined Twitter in July 2016 but has tweeted just 29 times, a remarkably low number in a recruiting era that has turned social media into a self-promotion platform.

On Thursday night, Bey announced his commitment to North Carolina State, choosing the Wolfpack over Xavier, Miami, Pittsburgh and several other programs. He did so at Kettering Middle School in Upper Marlboro, where he once played in Boys & Girls Club games and dreamed of a future in basketball. Making his decision in a packed high school gym didn’t feel right. Neither did a produced Twitter video. Bey would have been satisfied simply calling N.C. State Coach Kevin Keatts, firming up his commitment and then escaping to a quiet gym to fire jumpers.

But he also wanted to share a special moment with his family, Sidwell Friends Coach Eric Singletary and the teammates and friends who watched him grow from a 5-9 guard into a versatile recruit. He is the seventh area player to commit to a high-major school, joining Gonzaga guards Myles Dread (Penn State) and Prentiss Hubb (Notre Dame), Rock Creek Christian forward Jermaine Harris (Rhode Island), Paul VI guard Brandon Slater (Villanova), O’Connell point guard Xavier Johnson (Nebraska) and St. Mary’s Ryken guard Wynston Tabbs (Boston College).

“Saddiq is a quiet kid who plays really, really loudly,” Singletary said. “It’s so awesome to see how much he has grown, literally in height and as a basketball player and young man. He’s continuing the great tradition at Sidwell.”

That tradition already included Los Angeles Lakers rookie guard Josh Hart — who won a national championship at Villanova and was selected 30th in the NBA draft in June — as well as former University of Pennsylvania guard Jamal Lewis and current Penn freshman guard Jelani Williams.

But Bey was not always pegged to be a Division I player. He got to Sidwell Friends as an undersized guard with a good jumper, then grew 10 inches across his first three years of high school. He averaged 14.2 points as a junior last season and led the Quakers to a Mid-Atlantic Athletic Conference championship after Williams tore his ACL in December.

At the end of the high school season, he had offers from Pennsylvania, Temple, Elon, Rhode Island and Towson. In April, he shined on the AAU circuit with D.C. Premier and was soon offered by N.C. State, Pittsburgh, Miami, Northwestern, Rutgers, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Florida and a host of other schools. He was a long forward who could handle the ball, sink threes and defend any player on the opposing team. His height allowed him to comfortably take contested shots. His feel for the game told him not to force them.

And then, with a summer of showcases ahead, he was solidified as a high-major recruit.

“I hit a stride then, and I just got the confidence that I really belonged playing with top players,” Bey said of the two live evaluation periods in April. “That was motivation to just keep getting better. Once those offers started coming, I just wanted to keep improving and validate that I was deserving of them.”

In mid-August, Bey announced a final six of N.C. State, Miami, Xavier, Pittsburgh, Northwestern and Princeton. He then took official visits to Pittsburgh, Xavier, Northwestern and, finally, N.C. State in Raleigh at the start of October. Pittsburgh Coach Kevin Stallings visited Bey a few weeks after his trip to campus. He said Xavier was “really up there” while making his final decision and that he was still considering all six schools this week.

But Bey felt a connection with the new N.C. State staff and assistant A.W. Hamilton, his main recruiter. Bey likes the team’s free-flowing offense, in which he sees himself contributing on the perimeter and inside. He also saw an opportunity for him to earn playing time as a freshman and was drawn to the campus atmosphere during his visit.

“I don’t want to say it was pressure, because it’s a great thing to have options, but everyone asks you, ‘Where are you going? Where are you going?’ ” Bey said. “And now I can tell them, and it feels like a sort of weight has been lifted off my shoulders.”

On that June day, with a local coach watching him for the first time, Bey paced the Quakers in an eventual loss to DeMatha. He snatched rebounds and initiated the fast break. He hit a few off-the-dribble threes. In the second half, he crossed right and spun left, shedding a defender before flicking a lefty floater past 7-foot center Hunter Dickinson.

“Man, where is he playing in college?” asked the assistant, who needed just 32 minutes of basketball to learn a lot about Saddiq Bey.

Four and a half months later, the answer is N.C. State.

and after he de-committed:

Sidwell Friends senior Saddiq Bey was granted his full release from North Carolina State on Wednesday, putting the four-star forward back on the hunt for his ideal college program.

The 6-foot-7 athlete chose the Wolfpack over Xavier, Miami, Pittsburgh and several other programs in November. In choosing N.C. State, Bey said he felt a connection with the coaching staff and liked the atmosphere in the program as well as on campus.

But on Tuesday, Bey asked for a release from his letter-of-intent.

“It was mutual between me and my coach,” Bey said. “There were tough situations that occurred, and you know that I felt as though I wanted to go in a different direction. I love the Wolfpack nation and I love Coach Keatts and everything so it wasn’t any bad blood or anything.”

Tuesday also happened to be the same day N.C. State landed transfer Sacha Killey-Jones, a former five-star recruit from Chapel Hill who played two seasons at Kentucky. The sophomore picked N.C. State over Pitt, North Carolina and Wake Forest. He averaged 3.3 points and 2.9 rebounds last season. Killey-Jones will sit out next season and have two seasons of eligibility remaining.

Additionally, on Monday it was announced that N.C. State added Florida International graduate transfer Eric Lockett. Lockett, a 6-5 wing, left FIU last month following a coaching change and will be immediately eligible. The additions of Lockett and Killey-Jones briefly gave N.C. State 14 scholarship players on the roster, which is one over the NCAA limit.

“Saddiq is a great kid and we wish him the best of luck in the future,” Wolfpack Coach Kevin Keatts told The News & Obeserver’s Joe Giglio.

Bey said he made up his mind a couple of weeks ago and his request for the release was not related to the transfers or anything else happening with roster numbers.

“People think it was related to that, but it was 100 percent not,” Bey said. “That’s false.”

Bey, an ESPN Top 100 recruit, averaged 21 points during his senior campaign, and missed a handful of games because of an ankle injury. He averaged 14.2 points as a junior and led Sidwell Friends to a Mid-Atlantic Athletic Conference championship.

Bey has one official visit remaining, but as of now, he doesn’t have an official list of new colleges that he wants to look at. However, multiple college coaches have shown interest since he was granted his release. As far as a timetable of choosing his new program, Bey expressed his desire to still go to summer school, so he wants to make a decision before one of the summer sessions start (either before June or July).

With the current state of our program I don’t think it’s absurd to think Pitt will soon pass us by.

Completely reasonable to assume that Pitt passes us but still remains a bottom tier acc team

Some other recruiting "news" that I came across while updating things:

I'm not sure if we're still recruiting them, but Maryland transfer Dion Wiley committed to Saint Louis

I'll update the first post this afternoon.

Saddiq Bey
6'6-6'8, 185-195
SF, 2018

Rivals: 4-star (#118 overall, #30 SF)
ESPN: 4-star (UR overall, #28 SF)
247: 4-star (#101 overall, #27 SF)

An article from when he originally committed to NC State:

and after he de-committed:

“If you can’t go to State, go to Wake!”

Eligible immediately, does not lose a year of eligibility. (He is no different than Hoard/Wright etc. in that regard).

Back