• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

From the Wrangor article: "Sarr connected on just 14-of-37 (37.8 FG%) attempts at the rim, per Synergy."

Given that his added bulk should lead to a higher FG percentage around the rim and an increase in rebounds, I don't think 10ppg is out of the question at all. I also expect him to shoot closer to his 70% high school FT percentage this year. It'll be interesting to see if the added bulk leads to a more low post centric game. Like most Euros, he seems to prefer finesse over power, so hopefully we don't cram a square peg in a round hole.

Where did you see his HS FT numbers? He shot 85% this summer at FIBA.

Last edited:
He was the most consistent 3-pt shooter in the practice video that was posted. If he becomes a stretch 5 with a little muscle to get 2-3 put-backs a game, he'll be more than a serviceable big. I worry more about his D than offensive production.

He was the most consistent 3-pt shooter in the practice video that was posted. If he becomes a stretch 5 with a little muscle to get 2-3 put-backs a game, he'll be more than a serviceable big. I worry more about his D than offensive production.

He is a natural shot blocker, his rim protection will be fine.

I would expect both Sarr and Hoard to exceed Moore's scoring average.

As in combined they'll exceed it? Or you expect them combined to produce 2X what Moore did?

There's no chance Sarr produces what Doral did last year. 0% chance. And this coming from someone who thinks Sarr will be very good eventually. He's not ready yet.

He sets great picks and made several really nice moves with the ball to the rack. Remember at FIBA U19 last summer, he was voted to be the best NBA prospect.

In addition to weight and big muscles, I'd like to see him work on the strength of his hands.

Having this time off (finally), has allowed him to bulk up, relax and work on skills. This could be huge for the team.

He sets great picks and made several really nice moves with the ball to the rack. Remember at FIBA U19 last summer, he was voted to be the best NBA prospect.

In addition to weight and big muscles, I'd like to see him work on the strength of his hands.

Having this time off (finally), has allowed him to bulk up, relax and work on skills. This could be huge for the team.

The part of this that can't be overstated enough is that Sarr is comfortable in the U.S. now. I didn't mention that on Twitter but it's in the article I wrote (https://www.journalnow.com/sports/w...cle_3ac823c0-2e16-5c3c-8ebc-d897d326d3f3.html).

I know I went two states away for college and felt like I went to a different country. This dude actually went to a different country, showed up in August and was practicing a month later. Hoard is the case for coming to the U.S. for HS basketball, Sarr is the case against staying in your home country until the fall semester.

Conor, remember, Olivier came almost directly from a full summer of training and playing for his national team in international tournaments. It's not just the move. it's the lack of any time off.

One of the first things go when you are that tired is your legs. You can shoot with a broken finger (if it can be taped to the one next to it), but you can't shoot with dead legs. This also make exploding to rebounds and dunks harder and slower.

The more tired you are as a player, often the harder it is to keep weight on much less gain any.

He is very, very athletic and smooth.

Conor, remember, Olivier came almost directly from a full summer of training and playing for his national team in international tournaments. It's not just the move. it's the lack of any time off.

One of the first things go when you are that tired is your legs. You can shoot with a broken finger (if it can be taped to the one next to it), but you can't shoot with dead legs. This also make exploding to rebounds and dunks harder and slower.

The more tired you are as a player, often the harder it is to keep weight on much less gain any.

He is very, very athletic and smooth.
You've made this argument a few times, but we're talking about young athletes in great shape. They don't need extended periods of rest to get their legs back like you do old man. It's not as if the rest of our team wasn't on the practice court and hitting the gym all summer. Playing for the national team may have actually meant less intense practice and gym time in order to stay fresh for games.

As in combined they'll exceed it? Or you expect them combined to produce 2X what Moore did?

There's no chance Sarr produces what Doral did last year. 0% chance. And this coming from someone who thinks Sarr will be very good eventually. He's not ready yet.

I fully expect each of Hoard and Sarr to exceed Doral's 11 point per game average. I think Sarr makes a decent freshman to sophomore improvement.

Hoard looks ready to carry a scoring load that will have him averaging well into double digits.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Grad Transfers Ikenna Smart and Torry Johnson to Wake!

A few random thoughts.

I am really anxious to see a healthy Lewis. He was a top 75 recruit before he went MIA. That is Mucius range and I love Isaiah’s game.

Sarr has a massive opportunity, but part of me is worried that Manning gives Okeke and Smart too many minutes and holds Sarr back early. Manning is huge on earning your minutes but there are situations where yougive the potential a chance to grow even if they aren’t quite as good as the vet.

The one thing I have to be somewhat optimistic about is that we are replacing our 3 worst perimeter defenders and a big man who could not rotate fast enough and constantly put us scrambling. Our defensive problem is really going to be depth as much as anything. Freshman are going to need to grow up quick.

Sarr's going to average more pts than Moore- I predict. But fewer rebounds. Would not be surprised if Brown is our top rebounder. I give you my humble opine. Hoard and mucius the key. Feel like we need 20 pts per game from both combined for us to be competitive

Last edited:
I didn't realize how skinny Sarr was last year. You can see a HUGE difference with the before and after photo on his Instagram page. Sarr's biggest weakness was finishing strong at the rim. He's much stronger this year hopefully that translates on the court.

I didn't realize how skinny Sarr was last year. You can see a HUGE difference with the before and after photo on his Instagram page. Sarr's biggest weakness was finishing strong at the rim. He's much stronger this year hopefully that translates on the court.

Unfortunately it looks like half of the gains were pure body fat.

A few random thoughts.

Manning is huge on earning your minutes but there are situations where yougive the potential a chance to grow even if they aren’t quite as good as the vet.

Terrance Thompson must have been impressive in practice. Shame it didn't carry over into games.

Unfortunately it looks like half of the gains were pure body fat.

Nah.

If anything, you want the guy to put on as much as possible because it’s likely he’s going to lose some as the spend less time in the gym and more on the court.

He was dumb skinny last year.

I predict he’ll score a lot more this year, but his rebounding probably isn’t there yet.

I do think he’ll get plenty of time on the court, be much better overall, but I still think he’ll struggle (at times) to finish.

I think his biggest jump will be this offseason, but it’ll probably take another season for him to be a more complete player.

Nah.

If anything, you want the guy to put on as much as possible because it’s likely he’s going to lose some as the spend less time in the gym and more on the court.

He was dumb skinny last year.

I predict he’ll score a lot more this year, but his rebounding probably isn’t there yet.

I do think he’ll get plenty of time on the court, be much better overall, but I still think he’ll struggle (at times) to finish.

I think his biggest jump will be this offseason, but it’ll probably take another season for him to be a more complete player.

SATS, a lot of people here don't realize that once the season starts just keeping the weight you have is tough. He was so skinny coming in due to having played for eighteen months or so straight.

He's never going to be a bruiser. He's a modern center/PF. But he can shoot from mid-range, take it off the dribble and don't be shocked to see him hit more threes because of having live legs.

Back