• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

The local paper said Bol Bol has grown to 7'3. He's also moved to another HS. Something is going on with this kid. That's three schools in less than two years.

The paper also noted that Mater Dei Coach Gary McKnight has a career record of something like 1080-82. What's even more amazing is Mater Dei plays lots of tough teams on the road and their kids actually go to top academic colleges as well. One of their starters this year has signed with Harvard and another with Penn.

Matt Jones reported on Kentucky Sports Radio today that Bol Bol wants to handle the ball in college and when John Calipari told him that he wouldnt do that at Kentucky it basically ended the recruitment. Supposedly that difference in opinion is also part of the reason why Bol Bol didn't make the final cut for the U.S. under 19 team that Calipari coached.

I'm sure people told his dad he couldn't shoot threes too.

Also, Cal seems to be losing his edge to K on the recruiting trail

Also, Cal seems to be losing his edge to K on the recruiting trail
In top 5 recruits, yeah. He's still the clear 2nd best recruiter by a wide margin. In regards to recruiting, its Duke, UK, and then everybody else.

yes, there is no doubt that K is now the King of one and dones.

It’s also a stretch to say that recruits are getting offered ~$200,000 to attend schools like Louisville, but even higher ranked recruits are choosing Duke with no financial incentive

I have it on pretty good authority that Duke recruits one and done players by guaranteeing them a Nike contract once they graduate. If you would like a little proof, google which draft picks have already been signed by Nike. This person also told me this was the exact reason we lost a very high profile recruit to duke in the last couple years. Just sayin’

Guaranteed a Nike contract for one and dones, assuming they go pro since that’s what one and dones do. Of the drafted players already signed by Nike from last year’s draft: 2 Duke, 3 Kentucky (Jason Tatum and Harry Giles). I’m not sure of the legality here but “guarantee” seems sketchy to me.

NOTE: The information I received only applies to the 2017 draft class/2016 recruiting class. I do not have any info for years prior.

Guaranteed a Nike contract for one and dones, assuming they go pro since that’s what one and dones do. Of the drafted players already signed by Nike from last year’s draft: 2 Duke, 3 Kentucky (Jason Tatum and Harry Giles). I’m not sure of the legality here but “guarantee” seems sketchy to me.

Aren't prospects at that level pretty much guaranteed to get a major shoe deal anyway?

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

Aren't prospects at that level pretty much guaranteed to get a major shoe deal anyway?

Well, Harry Giles, who played a total of -15 minutes in college and is out for his entire rookie year, signed a deal with Nike immediately when John Collins (absolute stud, drafted higher than Giles) has yet to sign with anyone.

Yeah but Giles had a ton of hype out of high school. He would have signed a deal like that regardless of where he went.

We know about Giles before we knew about Collins.

Collins is playing himself into much bigger endorsement opportunities than he would have had he signed pre draft.

We (and Nike) also don’t have any idea if Giles will ever be good, or play for an extended time for that matter. Either way, that’s just what someone who played basketball with all those guys said: “he wanted to go to Wake all through high school then changed his mind” for that reason.

Back