• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

So on this end, we get the story that Manning should have had Samuels but lost him. On the other end, Racer has contended that Samuel's recruiting cooled because he wasn't really a top player and that was the only reason he was still interested in Wake instead of other programs.

Glad to see, as usual, we have every conceivable negative angle lined up in case we don't get him and even if do get him.

How would you spin this situation more positively, Michigan fan?

If we get Samuels, I can't wait to see those who said we had no chance come up with excuses.

I have no idea what our chances are, but we're still alive and UConn (his previous "lock" destination) isn't.

Last edited:
I said what? Please link.

Since I have no recollection of saying anything about Samuel other than asking "why" questions about his recruitment, offer list and lack of news, I went back and looked. You may be thinking of Netflix. Then again, he seems to have watched the most tape on our recruits outside of our coaches, including a few full games, so if he says there are reasons schools have backed off (I think I recall him saying he lacked a motor) Tyrese, I tend to give his opinion more weight than most.

If Manning is back, then do you think he can really recruit a better post-grad than Johnson? He couldn’t this year. He’s playing relatively well and we’ll still need guard depth next year. Look at our 2019 recruiting. If he gets an extra year of eligibility, then he’ll be back. That’s my guess.

From Les’s interview on 247:

“ON WHAT HE’S SEEN FROM TORRY JOHNSON SO FAR
Manning: “I think Torry has been really consistent for us. He’s one of the guys for us who has some experience, so we lean on him. He comes in the game and provides some stability for us. We just want him to continue to stay aggressive on both ends of the floor.”

ON IF HE EXPECT JOHNSON TO BE AROUND NEXT SEASON AT WAKE
Manning: “We’re expecting him to be back. I’m not worried about that right now, I’m worried about tomorrow. That’s my next concern. I’m going to watch practice today and see what we need to get better at today. That’s the mindset for us.”

I don't understand how anyone can watch Johnson's game in the first 4 games and conclude he is a net positive defender. Right now, his biggest asset are his pair of lungs. He seems to have Rip Hamilton endurance and runs full bore up and down the court. He is the lone guy on offense who stays moving and - get this - even moves fast when he is off ball. He forces his defender to really chase him, something no other player we have does.

Other than that though, he doesn't strike me as ACC talent either offensively or defensively. I have been bummed about the D. His lateral ability is not what you would hope for his fitness.

I don't understand how anyone can watch Johnson's game in the first 4 games and conclude he is a net positive defender. Right now, his biggest asset are his pair of lungs. He seems to have Rip Hamilton endurance and runs full bore up and down the court. He is the lone guy on offense who stays moving and - get this - even moves fast when he is off ball. He forces his defender to really chase him, something no other player we have does.

Other than that though, he doesn't strike me as ACC talent either offensively or defensively. I have been bummed about the D. His lateral ability is not what you would hope for his fitness.

You'll come around on his defense. You're correct that he isn't very quick, but he anticipates well and gives good effort on defense, which, unfortunately, makes him one of the better defenders on this team.

You'll come around on his defense. You're correct that he isn't very quick, but he anticipates well and gives good effort on defense, which, unfortunately, makes him one of the better defenders on this team.

This is what will keep him in old gold and black for a second year. That and we won’t be able to recruit a better graduate transfer.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - 2019 Recruits Massoud, Neath, and Oguama sign LOIs!

Yeah. He’s a scrappy effort guy off the bench. He’s been a team leader. His NAU degree was in mechanical engineering. You could do a lot worse for a grad transfer.

Andrien White is a pretty good player. Wonder if Johnson thinks White will take most his minutes next season.

Last edited:
In naming his top 6, Bilau used the phrased #NewBeginnings

:noidea

Last edited:
I assume Bilau is only talking about his new “high school.”

We need a big. I’m fine with him at this point.

I assume Bilau is only talking about his new “high school.”

We need a big. I’m fine with him at this point.

I miss expectations.

I wish I could conjure up excitement for every desperate Hail Mary our lame duck staff saddles our roster with...

I miss expectations.

I wish I could conjure up excitement for every desperate Hail Mary our lame duck staff saddles our roster with...

Not excited. Resigned to the fact that this is what’s happening.

I guess he at least has some other decent offers, if I’m reaching.

Maybe he’ll end up like Lorng.

Lorng didn't matriculate to fabled Vincennes University as planned. What happened to him? Europe? Mexico? FedEx? Amazon?

We are in a catch-22. No player stupid enough to sign with Manning has enough smarts to get in.

No more recruits. Let the new coach do what they want. It is already a low expectation class, just need new blood in program and I want no more new recruits from a coach half out the door. There is no chance Manning is retained...shouldn’t be.

No more recruits. Let the new coach do what they want. It is already a low expectation class, just need new blood in program and I want no more new recruits from a coach half out the door. There is no chance Manning is retained...shouldn’t be.

You may be optimistic with your "no chance" thought. At Wake, there is always a chance that a coach will be retained.

Back