• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

I talked with someone who sees most of the practices, and he indicated that White would be a starter this year, if available.

Unfortunately that isn't very telling information. We need to sign Bilau imo. One of the positives I was HOPING would come when we originally made Manning our coach was to finally develop some big man depth in our program after 4 years of undersized and underwhelming big men. Right now I feel as though we are right back where we started. You can almost always find a grad transfer guard to come in and give minutes, but it can be difficult to find big men...they need to be developed over a 2-4 year period, and in order to develop them you have to have a strong pipeline. Right now we don't have a 1/4" piece of PVC pipe. We have a grad transfer, an undersized PF that most likely will enter the NBA draft next year, and Sarr, who would be a perfect sophomore PF/C to come off the bench for 5-8 minutes a game and grow into a stronger role his junior and senior year. We need more bigs....now.

I talked with someone who sees most of the practices, and he indicated that White would be a starter this year, if available.

If your boards bingo card has a space for “I heard that guy who can’t play this year looks really good in practice,” go ahead and mark it.

Unfortunately that isn't very telling information. We need to sign Bilau imo. One of the positives I was HOPING would come when we originally made Manning our coach was to finally develop some big man depth in our program after 4 years of undersized and underwhelming big men. Right now I feel as though we are right back where we started. You can almost always find a grad transfer guard to come in and give minutes, but it can be difficult to find big men...they need to be developed over a 2-4 year period, and in order to develop them you have to have a strong pipeline. Right now we don't have a 1/4" piece of PVC pipe. We have a grad transfer, an undersized PF that most likely will enter the NBA draft next year, and Sarr, who would be a perfect sophomore PF/C to come off the bench for 5-8 minutes a game and grow into a stronger role his junior and senior year. We need more bigs....now.

this season would be best utilized to develop Sarr and Mucius . Think they need big minutes especially Sarr. If Manning is a good big man coach we should see improvement. Really makes no sense to play Smart more than 10 minutes since he is not coming back. Bilau would be a nice pick up.

this season would be best utilized to develop Sarr and Mucius . Think they need big minutes especially Sarr. If Manning is a good big man coach we should see improvement. Really makes no sense to play Smart more than 10 minutes since he is not coming back. Bilau would be a nice pick up.

Danny wants to win. Therefore he will play whomever of the bigs he thinks gives Wake the best chance to do that. Against Davidson that meant a lot of Smart.

Danny wants to win. Therefore he will play whomever of the bigs he thinks gives Wake the best chance to do that. Against Davidson that meant a lot of Smart.

I think Sarr gives us the best chance as the season moves along. We need an inside presence and Sarr has potential to be a factor. Need to light a fire under his ass and tell him not to dribble

Are we finished for the year or do you think we are still trying to add Bilau?

We are still in the mix for Bilau but it is no longer done deal. If we don't get him I am sure the staff will comb Europe for a power type in the 6'9"-11" who is 235-250lb. We need a banger because neither Mucius, Sarr, or Oguama would be considered one. We will be stacked at guard as someone already mentioned but woefully underweight/strength at the 4/5

If your boards bingo card has a space for “I heard that guy who can’t play this year looks really good in practice,” go ahead and mark it.

A few years ago the same person told me essentially the same thing about Keyshawn Woods - he’s not an all American but he’s a solid player and will be a starter. The person who told me isn’t prone to hyperbole - I believe him and think White will start next year. That doesn’t mean he’s a world beater or anything.

A few years ago the same person told me essentially the same thing about Keyshawn Woods - he’s not an all American but he’s a solid player and will be a starter. The person who told me isn’t prone to hyperbole - I believe him and think White will start next year. That doesn’t mean he’s a world beater or anything.

Well he did score over 1000 points for Charlotte before transferring here with a high 3p%. His brother was also a stud transfer for Syracuse and worked out well for them. Could be the second guy in the family to transfer and then set a 3PM for his new school.

If memory serves (I'll verify in a couple days), Dan Collins told me the [redacted] said the same thing about redshirting Greg McClinton during his final season at the helm. McClinton was still rehabbing from an ACL injury, but was the best player on the team, Collins was told.

That being said, I do think Andrien White will be a nice supplemental piece next season. And he's a super-nice guy, fwiw.

If memory serves (I'll verify in a couple days), Dan Collins told me the [redacted] said the same thing about redshirting Greg McClinton during his final season at the helm. McClinton was still rehabbing from an ACL injury, but was the best player on the team, Collins was told.

That being said, I do think Andrien White will be a nice supplemental piece next season. And he's a super-nice guy, fwiw.

No one implied White was the best player on the team, just that he will likely start next year. Have you heard/observed differently?

Plus, maybe McClinton was draining full court shots (as he's known to do) all practice long and [Redacted] got excited/confused.

No one implied White was the best player on the team, just that he will likely start next year. Have you heard/observed differently?

Plus, maybe McClinton was draining full court shots (as he's known to do) all practice long and [Redacted] got excited/confused.

Nah. Not saying that at all, Rafi. I like White's game a lot, and like I said also think he's a great guy. Starter? Not sure. Maybe. Theoretically, Wake will return Childress, Brown and Wright at guard and add Neath.

Almost forgot about Jamie Lewis. But if recent history is any indicator, it's foolhardy for any of us to speculate on the roster a full 10 months ahead of time.

In the sense that we have a gaping whole on the perimeter and need to play five players to field a team, or because he is actually good?

If you like PVC pipe, then you're going to love 6'9, 195 PF Ody Oguama.

Is Oguama on track to graduate in the winter and enroll early? Would be nice for him to come in and start weight training now if he is really that undersized. Hopefully he can pack on some weight similar to what Sarr did this year.

Still seems crazy to me we were never in it for either of Andrew White's transfers, if Manning apparently has a good relationship with the family. Maybe it was a grades thing, or, most likely, we just weren't even a better prospect than Nebraska.

Still seems crazy to me we were never in it for either of Andrew White's transfers, if Manning apparently has a good relationship with the family. Maybe it was a grades thing, or, most likely, we just weren't even a better prospect than Nebraska.

Danny got to Wake the same spring Andrew White went to Nebraska-2014. White may have been a done deal to Nebraska before Danny really got to Wake.

The 2016 grad transfer to Syracuse is more troubling.

Ah, I knew the timing might have been tight on the first one, but thought maybe we had more of a gap. You're probably right that it was already sealed.

I just checked out of curiosity, and Manning was hired early April of 2014, White announced he was transferring in early May, and didn't announce to Nebraska until August. Still, he may have been sealed to Nebraska, or there was other shit going on, who knows. His situation has always interested me because I wanted him out of high school, but I figured after he left Kansas he and Manning must have hated each other, or the family was an issue, or something, because he would have been perfect but was never mentioned, so was surprised to see Andrien was his bro. I don't know why I'm so intrigued by it.

Last edited:
How about Bilau?

If Hoard stays on the mock drafts as a 1st rounder all season it will land Bilau at Wake. Bilau's goal/reason for coming to the US is to make the NBA (he sees himself as a stretch-4 type player), and seeing another French player do it here would probably seal the deal. Playing at Spire has gotten him more attention, but he is friends with our French guys which gives Wake an edge if they do well here and are happy. He is going to make his decision in the Spring so he will get to see how all the schools that are recruiting him end up doing, and who is leaving from different schools to go pro, transfer, etc. He's not a kid who needs to be sold on academics or Wake's campus vibes, his selling points are potential playing time, ability to develop, shot at making the pros.

That being said Bilau's had flashes at Spire, but is not a starter there and has to develop more. For his size he runs the court well, is one of the best passing 4's I've seen recently, plays the pick and pop well, can dribble better than many other bigs, but also doesn't put up any notable numbers while he is playing. He is definitely a PF and not a C. His game is about finesse, skill, and he is not a banger in the post. He uses his size to dunk over people, but only on fast breaks. I've never seen him drop step and take a hit while rising up to slam on someone. In that offense he typically gets the ball off a pick and pop, trailing on the fast break but beating his man down the court, or in the pinch post to turn and face his man then make a move off the dribble. Spire's 5-star junior Isaiah Jackson is the real deal and the star post player on that team. Jackson, LaMelo Ball, and Rocket Watts are the guys putting up all the numbers for that team. Bilau is one of the nice complimentary pieces they have. Not sure how Ody fits into the plans to play at C, but Ody is basically a run-jump athlete with a high motor but not very skilled and needs to add more muscle mass. Smart plays the defensive role of coming in to guard big physical post players, and with him gone next season I don't see Wake having a guy like that unless Sarr develops more defensively. Bilau has the size/mass to do it, but I don't think its part of his game yet.

Back