• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

We were a terrible defensive team and Moore was by far our best defensive player. I'm not even going to seriously argue the merits of Moore getting playing time over sjm. 1 player has NBA potential talent and the other one will never sniff getting close to the NBA

I was mostly just pointing out that Moore had an opportunity that season and took advantage of it.

SJM comment was in parentheses because it was more of an aside.

The debate of who would get more time at C that season was over pretty much right away, when Moore showed he was a much improved player and capable of playing 25 mpg. Good for him.

FWIW, I’m not really arguing against anyone here. I don’t disagree with ChrisL68.

And my only issue, if you want to call it that, is that Ph is making it seem like everyone knew that Moore was going to have a much improved junior season. I don’t remember it that way.

Manning sucks. His player rotations are nonsensical. His teams play zero defense and not much offense.

More on topic, his recruiting has gone into the shitter and will never recover.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman commits to Wake! Sherfield visitiing!

I didn’t say that at all. I’ve said the stats show Moore was a solid player who should have played more his first two years. That’s it. I haven’t even talked about his junior year.

Last edited:
Doral was awful his soph season. Then he seemed to figure out that he was a top 75 recruit and taller than almost all the bigs he faced and there were opportunities for alley oops and garbage points on offensive rebounds. Nope, no credit goes to Manning there.

Since there is going to be no good recruiting news for 2020, I'll just pretend we legitimately had a shot at any we offered and I'm waiting on the dream class of Jalen Suggs, Josh Hall, and Isaiah Todd to sign here.

I didn’t say that at all. I’ve said the stats show Moore was a solid player who should have played more his first two years. That’s it. I haven’t even talked about his junior year.

Gotcha. We’ll just agree to disagree on that point.

Until the next time we talk about it in a year or two and I get all bent out of shape for no reason.

I’ve been on 3 planes today... Getting on a 4th soon. Posting has kept me sane today.

Just walked into an athletic apparel store near the entrance to the C terminal in Charlotte. Duke, UNC, NCSU, Clemson, and South Carolina apparel available for purchase (along with local pro stuff). We remain irrelevant... Though I doubt the store is any different than it would have been when Wake hoops was good.

Gotcha. We’ll just agree to disagree on that point.

Until the next time we talk about it in a year or two and I get all bent out of shape for no reason.

I’ve been on 3 planes today... Getting on a 4th soon. Posting has kept me sane today.

Just walked into an athletic apparel store near the entrance to the C terminal in Charlotte. Duke, UNC, NCSU, Clemson, and South Carolina apparel available for purchase (along with local pro stuff). We remain irrelevant... Though I doubt the store is any different than it would have been when Wake hoops was good.

I doubt you would have found a Timmy D or CP3 jersey back in the day.

Since there is going to be no good recruiting news for 2020, I'll just pretend we legitimately had a shot at any we offered and I'm waiting on the dream class of Jalen Suggs, Josh Hall, and Isaiah Todd to sign here.
Haven't you heard? Wake is coming... for all the top 500 basketball recruits.

Your foul rate increases as you get more tired. No way Doral would have made it 20 minutes before fouling out on a regular basis. Either that or his defense would have been atrocious.

Saying “I’m right and you’re wrong” is fine. That’s what good faith discussions are about. Saying “My opinion is history and your opinion is revisionist history” takes a special amount of hubris especially when it defies the facts. You were wrong then. Just because others were wrong too doesn’t make it history.

My last comment on this as it is not worth any more of any of our time... The reason I feel like it is revisionist is that you are looking back at stats and reaching a conclusion that is different from the reality at the time as we lived and watched it. We all knew at the time that he could do certain things and put up some numbers sometimes - he was huge and could catch so if a guard could get him the ball near the rim he could dunk it. But he had no ability to do anything on offense on his own. He was huge and had reach so he could guard the rim and mess with some shots some, as long as it didn't require him to move. But, as I have said, his limitations made it impossible to play him much more than we did. Didn't DT cover most of the minutes at C and put up double-doubles on a nightly basis?
Sure some people may have thought he should be playing more at the time but some of that was frustration, in that they WISHED he could play more. His stamina, lack of speed (which didn't fit with the style I feel like we were trying to play - to the extent we had a discernible style), and propensity for fouling (not just his own foul trouble but the detrimental impact that fouling too much has on the team), made it impossible.

I always liked his potential - kids with his size and hands and the ability to play at all are rare. I was thrilled to see his improvement his junior year but don't see that as proof that he should have played more earlier, I see that for what it is - improvement.

To get back to recruiting, today begins the "regular signing period" for men's basketball. Any word on whether the spring commits have signed official LOI's?

I'm looking back at the stats to support the same conclusions I made at the time. "Reality" is the majority opinion. Reality is reality.

Again, you can't say he couldn't have played extended minutes when he played well in extended minutes.

See above for my explanation of why "fouling too much" is a canard. It's especially poor logic for a poor defensive team.

I remember people wondering if SJM, who was an actual stiff exhibited by the 14/15 consective games he played in without scoring, had passed Moore on the depth chart. I remember opening wondering if these people had ever watched basketball games before.

Moore proceeds to lead the ACC in FG% and finish 3rd in rebounding as a junior.

He had passed Moore. Moore was as DNP-CD in the play-in game. SJM did play.

eta: that is more a comment on Manning's decision than whether SJM should have been ahead of Moore, which he should not have.

Last edited:
Doral didn’t “disappear.” Our shit coach didn’t play him.

He played 33 min in the last 5 regular season games and ACCT game. He had 13 pts, 10 reb on 5-10 shooting. That’s solid production.

He did not play in the First Four game.

SJM had 0 pts, 1 reb in 13 minutes in four games from that same point (Feb 14) including the First Four.

It blows my mind how people latch on to the coach’s narrative of events even if they think he’s a bad coach.

The real key was that Moore and Collins should have played together a bunch. That team need defense more than a 4th shooter.

The other problem was that Manning had Moore hedging out to 35 feet and not being able to do what he was good at - protecting the rim.

Manning under utilized both of our bigs and they were right to leave when they could. We will not likely be seeing any more until after Manning is gone so we might as well argue about the past.

Yep. Wake had a stellar big man tradition and it has ended under Manning. Moore could have played far more minutes as a rim protector and Dino could have been more a situational stretch four. I think Moore could have helped keep Collins out of foul trouble, too.

I am sure danny has talents to offer a team. Head coach is not one of them and hindsight calls in to question every defense of him from a time when fans were so desperate to grab on to any piece of evidence that may provide hope for the future. That future is now the past and the results are clear.

Defending manning's use of moore feels a lot like posters defending their own stance back then. If it helps you sleep better ok but i would think a healthy skepticism about Manning's contributions is in order.

Back