• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

College hoops is a farce with the one and done approach at Duke of all places.

Clemson just got Giles'd. I have a brother-in-law booster for Clemson who was 100% sure he was coming. Corey Evans from Rivals:

“Clemson will come up with the biggest recruiting win in recent memory on Jan. 20 by defeating the giants of college basketball and landing the commitment of the five-star forward,” Evans wrote. “He is a trailblazer on and off the court, and will add even more ammo to the jumpstart occurring at Clemson this winter.”

At one point he was 80% to Clemson, hometown kid, said he wanted to lead a program not be just another player, etc...

I told him Wake fans can relate...

Yeah this whole thing reeks. He was assumed by most everyone to be headed to Clemson (or possibly unc) and then Duke comes out of basically nowhere at the last minute and snaps him up? Sorry, this doesn't add up. Feel bad for Brownell, he was the apparent "leader in the clubhouse" until K came in with a new set of clubs and scored a birdie after dark that nobody saw. It really is mostly Capel at this point doing the recruiting though and everybody knows he is shady

Clemson just got Giles'd. I have a brother-in-law booster for Clemson who was 100% sure he was coming. Corey Evans from Rivals:

“Clemson will come up with the biggest recruiting win in recent memory on Jan. 20 by defeating the giants of college basketball and landing the commitment of the five-star forward,” Evans wrote. “He is a trailblazer on and off the court, and will add even more ammo to the jumpstart occurring at Clemson this winter.”

At one point he was 80% to Clemson, hometown kid, said he wanted to lead a program not be just another player, etc...

I told him Wake fans can relate...

We definitely can relate...however, everyone outside of the Wakeyverse always thought he'd end up at Duke.

Yeah. This is far worse than Giles. We were delusional in that case.

This is what is happening. K and Duke are extremely tight with Nike, and these top players going to Duke end up with Nike contracts, even if they underperform in college. I don't know how explicit the deal is, but that's obviously what's happening. Jason Tatum and Harry Giles both got Nike contracts, and it's rumored that Giles's is much larger than would be expected given his lack of productivity in college and current NBA projections. http://hoopshype.com/2017/07/16/which-2017-nba-rookies-have-shoe-deals-with-nike-adidas-and-more/

Yeah feels like only a matter of time before we get some leaks of quid pro quo similar to Louisville and Adidas. The difference will be that Capel will dive under the bus and K is shocked, SHOCKED to hear that this was going on and everyone believes it without question.

Kinda lame that anytime a school cleans up on the recruiting trail that everyone assumes they're cheating

Could just be that dook has a superior recruiting pitch right now and once you start getting momentum it only gets easier. These are all kids that grew up with "super" NBA teams coming together through free agency, not surprising that they're motivated to do the same for their college years.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

I’m just tired of the one and done. If they are good enough to go pro after high school then they should be able to go. If the go to school, they have to stay at least 2 years if it were up to me

What upsets me is that duke is doing the same thing that UNC was as far as academic fraud etc but can’t get caught since they are a private school. The deal they have with Central is a joke.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

Kinda lame that anytime a school cleans up on the recruiting trail that everyone assumes they're cheating

Could just be that dook has a superior recruiting pitch right now and once you start getting momentum it only gets easier. These are all kids that grew up with "super" NBA teams coming together through free agency, not surprising that they're motivated to do the same for their college years.

I should clarify that I don't think they are necessarily cheating/breaking rules. I am pretty certain based on what I've heard and seen that there is a strong promise of a guaranteed Nike contract for some of these very top players going to Duke. Nike named one of their new buildings after coach K - it's pretty clear what's going on. It's a very important part of their superior recruiting pitch.

What upsets me is that duke is doing the same thing that UNC was as far as academic fraud etc but can’t get caught since they are a private school. The deal they have with Central is a joke.
True. But what would it matter if it was known - UNC didn't get caught either.

"There are no virgins in college basketball."
Bob Ryan

I hated that he said this shortly after Skip's death but he has been around since peach baskets were used so I give him a lot of credence.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but State students and Carolina students should also be eligible to transfer a certain number of credits from NC Central. They just don't need to because big public schools can find easy classes in which to hide underperforming or unprepared student-athletes. In my experience, professors, in general, are very skeptical and critical of college athletics.

Wake Forest needs a deal with WSSU.
Wake already refuses to accept loads of high school and transfer credits that other schools in NC will readily accept, so I doubt they'd go for a deal like that. Plus, it's not like we're full up with one-and-done players who just need to stay eligible for a single season.

Our academic advisors in Student Athlete services have lists of professors and classes that look kindly on athletes. And what I mean by that is not that they give them any kind of unfair advantages, but rather that many professors at wake are actively antagonistic towards athletics.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but State students and Carolina students should also be eligible to transfer a certain number of credits from NC Central. They just don't need to because big public schools can find easy classes in which to hide underperforming or unprepared student-athletes. In my experience, professors, in general, are very skeptical and critical of college athletics.

I would think that's probably correct IE transfer credits. Any school in the NC School System will accept any credit from another school in the system. Each school applies those credits differently though. I know others will disagree on this site but if a kid has credits from an actual school that they want to transfer over, the kid will get accepted by any school in the ACC if it's a legit 4 year school and not a juco. Hence why you never see a grad transfer get turned away from any program, even though they would never qualify for the schools grad program other wise.

Yeah this whole thing reeks. He was assumed by most everyone to be headed to Clemson (or possibly unc) and then Duke comes out of basically nowhere at the last minute and snaps him up? Sorry, this doesn't add up. Feel bad for Brownell, he was the apparent "leader in the clubhouse" until K came in with a new set of clubs and scored a birdie after dark that nobody saw. It really is mostly Capel at this point doing the recruiting though and everybody knows he is shady

Elaborate?

From the Greenville News article: “Coach K, when he came to my house and spoke to me and my family, it wasn’t just about basketball and what he could do for me in like one year. It was how he could build Zion as a brand on and off the court for the next 20 years and the rest of my life.” :barf

Last edited:
EJ Montgomery picked up a crystal ball to Syracuse from Dain Ervin. He is a good predictor for CB's and it was put in on the 20th so I assume he has heard something that would put Cuse in the lead.

He is listed as warm to South Carolina and Duke.

I would think that's probably correct IE transfer credits. Any school in the NC School System will accept any credit from another school in the system. Each school applies those credits differently though. I know others will disagree on this site but if a kid has credits from an actual school that they want to transfer over, the kid will get accepted by any school in the ACC if it's a legit 4 year school and not a juco. Hence why you never see a grad transfer get turned away from any program, even though they would never qualify for the schools grad program other wise.

I think the issue is the lack of freshman(and later)classes attended on campus by athletes vs NCCU, not a few sprinkled here or there during your tenure if you want to get credit later if you transfer. Packpride needs another investigation. Facts not conjecture.

EJ Montgomery picked up a crystal ball to Syracuse from Dain Ervin. He is a good predictor for CB's and it was put in on the 20th so I assume he has heard something that would put Cuse in the lead.

He is listed as warm to South Carolina and Duke.

South Carolina and Syracuse have the space on their rosters for him, but I think are bad fits that can be out-recruited. South Carolina will have a real lack of talent on their roster next year, and has yet to put a big in the NBA. Not a very attractive situation to enter compared to ours. Syracuse plays zone on defense exclusively and usually has their leading scorers as wing players. Many bigs from Syracuse never meet their potential, so also not a great situation for a big trying to make the league. I don't know if Manning or the staff ever negative recruit the competition, but it would be easy to point out why our situation would benefit him more over those 2 schools.

Duke is a problem, with Wendell Carter and Bagley both leaving for the NBA they will have space on their roster and a track record of success. But as we all know Coach K also has a track record of sitting 4 stars, and then making them transfer (this year's Jordan Tucker following in the footsteps of Derryck Thorton and Chase Jeter). Plus add in they have 4 top 10 guys coming in, I don't see there being room for EJ to put up numbers as the #5 option entering the class. If I were EJ I wouldn't trust anything Duke tells me during recruiting, but those recruiters in Durham have been striking gold this year. I hate Duke.

Back