• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

He’s not going to chose Wake over Duke even if it’s a good decision.

Why would a kid from Marietta, GA go to Syracuse, NY for (likely) one year of college? That does not compute. Wake makes a lot more sense than Cuse, although he'll probably end up at a blue blood.

Yeah I'm guessing Duke. Not sure where the Cuse CB came from, and I'm sure there is something to back that info but I'm choosing Duke as the final choice for him.

Duke does make the most sense given how successful their big men in the league are...

I would think that's probably correct IE transfer credits. Any school in the NC School System will accept any credit from another school in the system. Each school applies those credits differently though. I know others will disagree on this site but if a kid has credits from an actual school that they want to transfer over, the kid will get accepted by any school in the ACC if it's a legit 4 year school and not a juco. Hence why you never see a grad transfer get turned away from any program, even though they would never qualify for the schools grad program other wise.

Grad transfers have nothing to do with transfer credits, because grad transfers have already graduated; they have a degree in hand, which is the requirement for admission to a graduate program. And typically, at least at wake, they enroll in a MALS-type program which primarily recruits professionals/non-academics/non-working parents/rich people, etc. They are not usually the most academically rigorous programs.

Wake is also known to be very stingy about accepting transfer credits from undergraduates -- perhaps a transfer like MDMH can chime in here. Wake is also (too) strict about which IB and AP credits they accept too.

Your point about "each school applies those credits differently" is an important one though.

Yeah I'm guessing Duke. Not sure where the Cuse CB came from, and I'm sure there is something to back that info but I'm choosing Duke as the final choice for him.

Given the fact that Duke has signed the top three players in the class of 2018 and all are forwards, why would Montgomery go there? He might be able to start at center, but he does he want to do that?

Given the fact that Duke has signed the top three players in the class of 2018 and all are forwards, why would Montgomery go there? He might be able to start at center, but he does he want to do that?

I’d say that it would not be hard to succeed without a true center on your roster. Collins should’ve been a PF, Colson, etc. I just wouldn’t be surprised if it happened.

I’d say that it would not be hard to succeed without a true center on your roster. Collins should’ve been a PF, Colson, etc. I just wouldn’t be surprised if it happened.

I didn't say Duke couldn't do it. I said I didn't think Montgomery would want to play out of position for his only year in college. He'd have to play big guys on D the entire season. I don't think that helps him to be drafted highly.

Add to that, at best, he'll be the fourth option on offense.

Huh? Why? You don't think Montgomery should be #6? Have you seen his tape? It's pretty awesome.

I've seen his tapes. No one else has him that high. Until, the past couple of months, no one had him in the Top 25.

Except it seems that going to dook is bad business

How many recruits flame out?

He's correct. But I am starting to think these are potentially not good business decisions by Duke. Here me out.

First, anytime you offer a scholly to a kid, you do run the risk of offering Lawrence Phillips a spot on your roster. That is way more glaring to a hoops roster than a football roster. See Baylor Basketball.

But that seems unlikely - even Coach K, despite making some sort of deal with the devil, is not stupid and is not a horrific judge of character based on the players he's had on roster. That said, he did offer a scholly to Rashad Suilaman, but if Suilaman and I guess Cory Maggette are your outliers, that is not half bad. Especially when you have to be honest and say whatever Suilaman did or did not do as it relates to sexual assault, we certainly have not had a perfectly clean house the last 20 years either.

But at some point, Coach K dies or retires. He's on his third and fourth hip and his Grecian formula does not protect him against aging. He is looking more and more like Dean Smith about two years before he retired. Who replaces Coach K and can they continue to compete with Kentucky and whoever is the flavor of the month as the go to One-and-done school??? If I were Duke basketball, I'd be much more comfortable replacing Coach K with one of his former point guards if they were modeling themselves on what Villanova does as opposed to Kentucky. I don't think what Duke is doing right now is sustainable after Coach K retires. If that is correct, they are going to struggle to return to their "old" recruiting model of getting the JJ Redicks and Grant Hills and Shane Battiers if they aren't actively recruiting those 3+ years players now.

I blame Harry Giles. And I think we dodged a bullet by not getting him. Clemson may find themselves feeling pretty good they didn't throw their team to one freshman and say make or break us, essentially breaking out their existing recruiting model that relies on 3 and 4 year players. Zion doesn't strike me as a system guy and I have a feeling that Coach K will get "hurt" again next year when the whole thing just doesn't work as they hope/expect.

A lot to agree with here. College basketball in today's world is so much different. If the school is your brand then its important to develop a sub brand for the basketball program which takes advantage of the universities assets. K is Duke's basketball sub brand. He has enough chips with the board and administration to be able to say if you want our basketball team to continue to be relevant I'm going to a one and done model. He can do this because the Duke U brand is strong and his brand is connected at the highest places (Nike, USA BB, NBA to name a few). He will continue to run this model until he retires and Duke's academic rep doesnt suffer at all. He's also going to be top 10 every year and compete for ACC and NCAA championships. They are executing the plan to perfection.

The other side of brand building and also is successful is UVA. They hired the perfect coach who has decided to embrace the UVA brand (great school, conference and academics) and then create a sub brand which consist of him, his system, ACC, school and what is probably one of the best arenas in college basketball. He has less pressure on the recruiting trail and brings in the kids who will fit with his school and basketball brand strategy.

Duke and UVA are two different examples of how to build a basketball brand. Both are successful and very different. What they have in common is a basketball program strategy that sells the strengths of what they're all about.

Not any of the kids who have chosen Duke or KY over the past few years had UVA on their short list. None of the UVA kids are even recruited by Duke or KY.

The problem with Wake Forest is that we have a University brand but no brand identity or strategy for our basketball program. DM believes he is the Wake Forest basketball brand and thats a problem because he's not K and unlike Tony has been unable to define what our program assets are and they type of kids who can make it successful.

Back