• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

In terms of recruiting, Manning seems to be doing OK. In order to "build a brand" from here, we need to win basketball games. A lot of them.

Hey Deacs ATS...first off always enjoy your take on Wake and spreads.

Yes we need wins but when you say DM's recruiting has been ok my point is ok for what? In K's system our recruiting would be non acceptable and Duke would be embarking on a strategy that would fail miserably. UVA probably over the past 4 years has recruited much to the same star level as DM but for their system whats ok for us is great for them. To me its identifying a system you believe will be successful for the basketball brand you've developed.

I don't think UVA's recruiting strategy is to go get the highest rated players they can and then roll it out there. I doubt UVA even recruited any of Duke's incoming class.

I think we need a basketball brand identity.

Yes we need wins but when you say DM's recruiting has been ok my point is ok for what? In K's system our recruiting would be non acceptable and Duke would be embarking on a strategy that would fail miserably. UVA probably over the past 4 years has recruited much to the same star level as DM but for their system whats ok for us is great for them. To me its identifying a system you believe will be successful for the basketball brand you've developed.

I don't think UVA's recruiting strategy is to go get the highest rated players they can and then roll it out there. I doubt UVA even recruited any of Duke's incoming class.

I think next year will show what DM has been building for. Length, and a lot of with, with your 1-3 or even 1-4 being able to handle the ball. That's where the defense could improve greatly and offense comes as a result of defense.

The "identity" is length and Manning has been recruiting it since the 2015 class. The only person below average for his height at his respective position is probably Childress since the 2015 class.

2015: Craw, Collins, Moore all good height and length (granted Crawford's height and length don't seem to help him on the defensive end)
2016: excluding Chill, Washington, Mitchell, SJM all have length - two ended up being busts.
2017: Chaundee Brown, Olivier Sarr, and Melo Eggleston - all have height and length needed for their position or more
2018: Lewis is 6'3, Sharone Wright Jr. is a 6'5 and growing PG/SG, Mucius is a 6'8 SF, Hoard is a 6'8.5 SF.

Length will be our identity and I'm ALL for it

Survey says we need a big man, badly. After next year, Sarr and Mitchell are likely our entire front court. Yikes.

I think next year will show what DM has been building for. Length, and a lot of with, with your 1-3 or even 1-4 being able to handle the ball. That's where the defense could improve greatly and offense comes as a result of defense.

The "identity" is length and Manning has been recruiting it since the 2015 class. The only person below average for his height at his respective position is probably Childress since the 2015 class.

2015: Craw, Collins, Moore all good height and length (granted Crawford's height and length don't seem to help him on the defensive end)
2016: excluding Chill, Washington, Mitchell, SJM all have length - two ended up being busts.
2017: Chaundee Brown, Olivier Sarr, and Melo Eggleston - all have height and length needed for their position or more
2018: Lewis is 6'3, Sharone Wright Jr. is a 6'5 and growing PG/SG, Mucius is a 6'8 SF, Hoard is a 6'8.5 SF.

This.

Danny has had to fill in with Key, Ariens, Dinos etc. Who didn't really fit that plan but were the best basketball playets he could get in those years.

Last edited:
Survey says we need a big man, badly. After next year, Sarr and Mitchell are likely our entire front court. Yikes.

Agree and think we'll get one next class. Tre Mitchell looks like a good candidate, but Sarr and Mitchell are both going to be good players for us. We'll also probably have the luxury of playing Hoard/Mucius/Eggleston at the 4 every now and then for breathers. Would be a good mismatch in our favor imo.

If Manning’s identity is length, he would play Chaundee, Sarr, and Melo more and play Childress and Wilbekin less.

Would be good to get a big in 2019 who can play C. Let him develop a year behind and against Moore and Sarr.

I just meant it has been improved over what Bz did, and on par (arguably) with Skip/Dino. Tough to do much better until you start winning games in bunches.

Agree that Duke and UVA have different strategies/identities when it comes to recruiting, and each suit them well. I’ll defer to CharlotteDeac1 on Manning’s strategy... He definitely seems to want length/athleticism, which hopefully leads to improved defense over time.

I’m hoping Manning’s “brand” becomes more identifiable next season. He’ll have no real excuse unless we see a mass exodus of players after this year.

I mean, I’m sure we’ll see a transfer or two, but I hope it’s the correct/expected players that leave.

agreed - next year is Danny's make or break year for me

no excuses

agreed - next year is Danny's make or break year for me

no excuses

Agree. For me it's NCAA Tournament or bust at this point.

I may revise that based on who leaves after this year, but if we bring back more of the nucleus and add our top 15 recruiting class then that should be more than enough to make the Tournament.

I totally agree with the last few posts. I really don't think you can judge coaching ability until you have players that can compete. Danny has had to recruit basically who he could get and thought could develop. He hit a few and missed on others. Yes the debacle name redacted mess was hard to overcome. I believe next year's class is the first truly ACC level class as a whole we have had. I've said before that how we do next year will truly define if DM is the right coach for the deacs. I also agree that we have to see some real improvement

I totally agree with the last few posts. I really don't think you can judge coaching ability until you have players that can compete. Danny has had to recruit basically who he could get and thought could develop. He hit a few and missed on others. Yes the debacle name redacted mess was hard to overcome. I believe next year's class is the first truly ACC level class as a whole we have had. I've said before that how we do next year will truly define if DM is the right coach for the deacs. I also agree that we have to see some real improvement

Once Danny gets enough talent to compete with Liberty or Drake, then we can judge those games. At this point, the talent just is not there so we need to just assume his coaching will skyrocket when the talent matches his abilities.

Virginia Tech's last three recruiting classes we ranked 23rd, 88th, and 17th (average rank 42.6667), currently sitting at 49th in kenpom with a 14-6 record over all and 3-4 in the ACC.
Wake Forest's last three recruiting classes were ranked 30th, 62nd and 38th (average rank 43.333), currently sitting at 92nd in kenpom with an 8-11 record over all and 1-6 in the ACC.

Yes, I know, John Collins left for the NBA, but VT also ended last season 22-11 as a 9 seed in the round of 64 and we were 1-2 against them last season. Some how Buzz Williams is seeing moderate success in Blacksburg, despite lots of personnel turnover, with about the same level of talent that we have.

I feel like comparing recruiting classes between the two is relatively pointless. I want to say I remember the majority of VTs players being transfers. We rode Danny’s recruits to the tournament last year, VT rode transfers if I’m not mistaken. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m not defending one or the other, just saying recruiting class comparisons is relatively pointless. I think VTs best recruit last year (Clark?) barely got any playing time because of the transfers buzz brought in

Virginia Tech's last three recruiting classes we ranked 23rd, 88th, and 17th (average rank 42.6667), currently sitting at 49th in kenpom with a 14-6 record over all and 3-4 in the ACC.
Wake Forest's last three recruiting classes were ranked 30th, 62nd and 38th (average rank 43.333), currently sitting at 92nd in kenpom with an 8-11 record over all and 1-6 in the ACC.

Yes, I know, John Collins left for the NBA, but VT also ended last season 22-11 as a 9 seed in the round of 64 and we were 1-2 against them last season. Some how Buzz Williams is seeing moderate success in Blacksburg, despite lots of personnel turnover, with about the same level of talent that we have.

1-1 last season, we only played once in reg season and won and then lost the acc tourney game.

1-1 last season, we only played once in reg season and won and then lost the acc tourney game.

My bad, a quick look at last seasons schedule and I attributed the January 8th loss to UVA to VT. Even so, it was the ACC tourney loss the VT and got us stuck in the first 4.

I feel like comparing recruiting classes between the two is relatively pointless. I want to say I remember the majority of VTs players being transfers. We rode Danny’s recruits to the tournament last year, VT rode transfers if I’m not mistaken. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m not defending one or the other, just saying recruiting class comparisons is relatively pointless. I think VTs best recruit last year (Clark?) barely got any playing time because of the transfers buzz brought in

I want to say, that I feel like, this is another excuse on Danny's behalf.

Back