• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

I want to say, that I feel like, this is another excuse on Danny's behalf.

“I’m not defending one or the other”

And I checked, I was right. Best player and probably second or third best players (and two of their top three contributors) were transfers. Again, not defending one or the other - just pointing out that your argument is very bad

“I’m not defending one or the other”

And I checked, I was right. Best player and probably second or third best players (and two of their top three contributors) were transfers. Again, not defending one or the other - just pointing out that your argument is very bad

Haha! Thanks.

So transfers aren't included in the rankings? I didn't know that... but at the same time, you say this like Manning hasn't had any transfers (Woods, Arians, Leonard). I just think at some point you have to be willing to look at some numbers and draw some conclusions, so what numbers are comparable.

Even with out comparing to other programs, the assertion I was responding to was that Manning hasn't got the ACC level talent he needs to compete. I'd argue that 3.5 years in that is a pretty weak excuse, even with JC's early departure. Other than JC he has brought in 10 (or more) recruits plus some transfers, and we still don't have ACC level talent? Four more guys are going to be the big difference makers? ...Ok, I guess.

Woods and arians were both important to success of course. Two were grad transfers though, not multi-year players for the program. To be very clear, I think Buzz is a better game coach than Manning and I’ve never said anything different. I was solely pointing out comparing the recruiting rankings from the last three classes is a fruitless exercise since their top two contributors were transfers (and no, transfers are not included in recruiting class rankings)

And also to be clear, I wouldn’t have been a dick in my response if you weren’t snarky to begin with. I wasn’t in a position to check if I was correct, hoping someone could do a quick google search, hence the “I feel like” and “correct me if I’m wrong.” Plus, being snarky when someone ends up being correct is also not the best tactic.

And also to be clear, I wouldn’t have been a dick in my response if you weren’t snarky to begin with. I wasn’t in a position to check if I was correct, hoping someone could do a quick google search, hence the “I feel like” and “correct me if I’m wrong.” Plus, being snarky when someone ends up being correct is also not the best tactic.

Well, you're correct that Williams has a bunch of transfers, but that doesn't mean I am wrong that it is just an excuse on Danny's behalf. The main point is that after 3.5 years Manning some how still doesn't have enough talent.

I feel like comparing recruiting classes between the two is relatively pointless. I want to say I remember the majority of VTs players being transfers. We rode Danny’s recruits to the tournament last year, VT rode transfers if I’m not mistaken. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m not defending one or the other, just saying recruiting class comparisons is relatively pointless. I think VTs best recruit last year (Clark?) barely got any playing time because of the transfers buzz brought in

Buzz Williams is a hell of a coach. He willed his team to victory last night against UNC. He is the anti Manning because he inspires his players and is like a madmen on the sideline. Manning shows zero emotion. Buzz is highly involved with the students much like Skip and they've got a great loud home crowd. I live in Blacksburg and played in a softball league last summer against his team. I'm 3 for 3 against his pitching...so I got that going for me which is nice.

Well, you're correct that Williams has a bunch of transfers, but that doesn't mean I am wrong that it is just an excuse on Danny's behalf. The main point is that after 3.5 years Manning some how still doesn't have enough talent.

I agree with this to an extent. Half the 2016 class ended up being duds when we needed a SF (not sure how much SJM being serviceable would even help this year since it isn’t a position of need). The reason I say “to an extent” is because I think manning recruited 2017 with the idea of bringing Chaundee in a filling the hole we had with a really good player, but circumstances arose and we ended up needing a 3 and 4 rather than just a 3. That being said, we wouldn’t be having the issues we’re having if the 2016 class was better (aka, replace Wash or SJM with a SF/PF that could play).

I feel like comparing recruiting classes between the two is relatively pointless. I want to say I remember the majority of VTs players being transfers. We rode Danny’s recruits to the tournament last year, VT rode transfers if I’m not mistaken. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m not defending one or the other, just saying recruiting class comparisons is relatively pointless. I think VTs best recruit last year (Clark?) barely got any playing time because of the transfers buzz brought in

None of the VT players in the rotation this year are transfers. Last year, Seth Allen (UM), Ty Outlaw (JUCO) and Zach LeDay (USF, I think) were the only transfers who played. Clarke is actually a junior this year. Tech had only one recruit last year, Khadim Sy (who left school in August but is back now and redshirting). Outlaw may be back next year if the NCAA gives him a 6th year (he is injured now).

Virginia Tech's last three recruiting classes we ranked 23rd, 88th, and 17th (average rank 42.6667), currently sitting at 49th in kenpom with a 14-6 record over all and 3-4 in the ACC.
Wake Forest's last three recruiting classes were ranked 30th, 62nd and 38th (average rank 43.333), currently sitting at 92nd in kenpom with an 8-11 record over all and 1-6 in the ACC.

Yes, I know, John Collins left for the NBA, but VT also ended last season 22-11 as a 9 seed in the round of 64 and we were 1-2 against them last season. Some how Buzz Williams is seeing moderate success in Blacksburg, despite lots of personnel turnover, with about the same level of talent that we have.

Williams seems to have adapted a lot better than Manning.

Va. Tech lost Sean LeDay and Khadim Sy to the transfer route leaving only Blackshear as their only post player. Also, they lost their best 3 point shooter, Ty Outlaw, for the entire season as a result of an injury.

Ty Outlaw played his freshman year at UNCG. Why would he have left HOF coach Wes Miller?

Williams seems to have adapted a lot better than Manning.

Va. Tech lost Sean LeDay and Khadim Sy to the transfer route leaving only Blackshear as their only post player. Also, they lost their best 3 point shooter, Ty Outlaw, for the entire season as a result of an injury.

And Buzz is doing it with what are essentially 4 guards (I classify Hill, Bibbs, and Alexander-Walker as guards) in the starting line-up. Having 3 point guards (4 if you count Wilson) on the roster is a luxury, although Robinson unexpectedly has been scoring a lot lately. Point being, it's not the number of guards on the floor, it's their ability to play together in role.

Seems like he was 'Dead-eye Ty' last year from 3. He killed us a couple of times. Didn't he make like six 3's in one game?

I think Manning understands he needs to produce next year. I am hoping that EJ is a part of our winning formula. He would be a game changer when lured with Hoard.

Brown, Mucius, Hoard, EJ, Sarr would be some really fun freshman and sophomores to watch.

I think Manning understands he needs to produce next year. I am hoping that EJ is a part of our winning formula. He would be a game changer when lured with Hoard.

Brown, Mucius, Hoard, EJ, Sarr would be some really fun freshman and sophomores to watch.

Would be incredible.

Not feeling good about it with the recent interests and body in rankings, but could be changed with a scoooooop

I think it may take a miracle from Danny, Jamil and Chill to get EJ, but if we do, WOW!

Seems like he was 'Dead-eye Ty' last year from 3. He killed us a couple of times. Didn't he make like six 3's in one game?

He was the 11th best 3-point shooter in the nation at 49% (on 117 attempts).

This included a 32-50 (64%) streak in his final 8 games.

I'm like a Yuge optimist but even I think getting EJ is a pipe dream... Am I wrong? I hope I'm wrong. Tell me I'm wrong.

Back