• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread, Robert McCray ('21) commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen more than enough recruiting articles where kids say "they gave me love early" or "they were my first offer" or "they been texting me every day for years." Got to get on it now and develop those relationships.

To cross-pollinate between recruiting threads: Clawson has told us several times that their strategy is sometimes to be the first offer or first P5 offer. Especially with QBs. Doesn't always work -- I believe Wake was Justin Fields' first P5 offer -- but it does enough to prove that being "first" on guys pays off more often than it doesn't.

To cross-pollinate between recruiting threads: Clawson has told us several times that their strategy is sometimes to be the first offer or first P5 offer. Especially with QBs. Doesn't always work -- I believe Wake was Justin Fields' first P5 offer -- but it does enough to prove that being "first" on guys pays off more often than it doesn't.

Fields blew that one, if he really wanted to be the starting QB at UGa. Should have taken the Jamie Newman route.

A wise man once said "If you ain't first, you're last"

Williamson (and/or Hodges) may not come to Wake, but Forbes didn't rule it out in his last interview. Maybe just being diplomatic, but he could have easily said something like "I'd like to see those kids stay with Shay," or something (neither have ruled out a return). We look like the most attractive option on Williamson's list, anyway.

Fully invested in last year's ETSU team now. They're my guys. Haven't felt this strongly about a group since the Burks, Higgins, Relphorde Colorado Bz team.

And that's the sad thing about some of the new offers being made. Many of those 2021 kids have had offers from other attractive schools for a year or two. Forbes is having to play catch-up through no fault of his own.

Maybe we're for sure getting McClung and Georgetown is replacing him with Williamson.

Lots of updates on the first post. tl;dr - Forbes and company are doing work right now. Only bad news is that Arizona State grad transfer Romello White just committed to Mississippi. We still have a major need for some post players next year, but the roster is shaping up nicely otherwise and we have some prospects.

Beadle (^) was updated to a 3-star prospect and we're starting to offer some impressive looking Top-50-caliber guys (Fudge, Camden, and Phillips stand out to me) to complement the unranked/top-50 position types we had been offering initially.

Strick, thanks for the first page updates. Any idea why we've only offered 3 bigs for 2021 and none for 2022? Is it simply coaching style?

Strick, thanks for the first page updates. Any idea why we've only offered 3 bigs for 2021 and none for 2022? Is it simply coaching style?

I don't have any inside knowledge or anything, but I think it's a matter of timing. First, the 2022 offers are all less than a week old, Edwards aside. Second, I think that these are guys that Forbes had some familiarity with already as prospects, at least in terms of having seen them play before and probably some degree of contact. There are, generally speaking, a lot more guards and wings than big men. As the Manning and [name redacted]-eras showed us, some of the lower tier guard and wing recruits that an ETSU staff would reach out to can actually play in the ACC. That being said, I'm not sure an ETSU staff would really be making inroads with ACC-caliber big man prospects. Those offers will probably come once Forbes and co. have a sense of who they can continue to recruit (via Childress perhaps?) and who they can recruit with a better program behind them. Just my two cents.

ETA: Ranger's post above seems to confirm that take, fwiw. The staff reached out to Sam Onu Ayomide when Forbes first got the job and he's just getting the offer now.

Last edited:
Those are really good points. They're just not going to know the bigs.

This morning Forbes had a Zoom call with Wake bball alumni (players, staff). It was very positive and well attended. He wants everyone with a history of Wake to be involved. Coach talked about how he got to Wake, who he coached with and under and what he learned from each.

He said wins will fix all that ails us.

Regarding recruiting, he said this was his focus and he wouldn't back down from anyone in recruiting. Wake will be super-involved in NC and regional recruiting and finding national players on top of this.

He also gave Chill huge props for keeping the players who re-upped.

Coach Forbes also said people should get used to seeing him in the community as he and his family will be a part of it.

It was high energy, very positive.

This guy loves being at Wake and wants to take it right at UNC and Duke.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back