• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread, Robert McCray ('21) commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's me, but the sheer number of offers that have gone out over the last week looks a little desperate. I give Forbes benefit of the doubt for sure...just not what I had expected/hoped to see. Clearly, if he starts landing some good recruits, though...I'll be pumped and won't give a damn how many offers we handed out in order to land a top ~30-50 class in his first few years.

Make no mistake about it, we are desperate. With that said, strange times call for the casting of broad nets unless you are a true blue blood.

I believe the number of offers going out in the last few weeks is mostly a function of :
1. The fact the staff just got hired and was WAY behind on offers to the 2021 class. They basically had to do a years worth of offers in a week or two.
2. The fact that just a few days ago was the first time that coaches could have contact with kids in the 2022 class.

So much more about timing and circumstance than "desperation".

The Bill Russell definition of enforcer, "You may shoot the free throws. You will not shoot the layup."

I mean, I'm 100% in favor of recruiting players who use edits that look like they came straight out of a John Woo flick.

Top 30-50 classes are nothing special. Manning had a top-25 and a couple top-40 classes. Need to be Top-20 regularly.

Yeah, I'm trying to temper expectations for a new coach and their first few years. Also, Manning couldn't coach worth shit. Him getting a top 25 class and us not getting good results means nothing and is a bad benchmark.

I believe the number of offers going out in the last few weeks is mostly a function of :
1. The fact the staff just got hired and was WAY behind on offers to the 2021 class. They basically had to do a years worth of offers in a week or two.
2. The fact that just a few days ago was the first time that coaches could have contact with kids in the 2022 class.

So much more about timing and circumstance than "desperation".

Got it. This makes the most sense...again, it was a first impression from my side about it seeming a bit desperate. Forbes is clearly working hard, but was more curious about how others felt about the strategy of casting a wide net. Hopefully it works.

Definitely just you. He’s doing the work necessary to build this program. It’s not like he’s offering guys out of nowhere. He’s offering after doing meetings or doing meetings after offering.

If you want to get pissed about Wake basketball offers, then talk to Danny Manning about offering like 75% of the top-50 without even attempting to recruit most of them.

This is what Forbes should be doing right now, imo.

Not pissed about Wake basketball offers...not sure where you got that from. I'm pumped who we are recruiting...I was solely talking about the impression of handing out so many offers in such a short period of time. Seems like most think it's due to the current environment we're in and because Forbes & Co. got off to a late start. That makes sense in context.

Yeah, I'm trying to temper expectations for a new coach and their first few years. Also, Manning couldn't coach worth shit. Him getting a top 25 class and us not getting good results means nothing and is a bad benchmark.

My opinion is we temper expectations for 2020 but then we need to expect a honeymoon class for 2021. If he isn't getting top classes for the first few years then he is unlikely to be successful.

My opinion is we temper expectations for 2020 but then we need to expect a honeymoon class for 2021. If he isn't getting top classes for the first few years then he is unlikely to be successful.

Every situation is different. Sometimes it takes awhile to start bringing in elite classes. Prospects sometimes need to see a little success before getting on board. Also, in basketball, all it takes is one or possibly two elite players to turn the perception of a program. Sometimes, you get that elite player immediately. Sometimes you finish second for that program changing player over a few recruiting cycles before getting that player.

Have a lot of faith that Forbes will keep working the process until he gets it done. Would love for the 2021 class to be a program changer, but if WF has too much ground to make up to land an elite class by this Winter, still think he can get it done for the HS class of 2022 or 2023.

Last edited:
Every situation is different. Sometimes it takes awhile to start bringing in elite classes. Prospects sometimes need to see a little success before getting on board. Also, in basketball, all it takes is one or possibly two elite players to turn the perception of a program. Sometime, you get that player immediately. Sometimes you finish second for that program changing player over a few recruiting cycles before getting that player.

Have a lot of faith that Forbes will keep working the process until he gets it done. Would love for the 2021 class to be a program changer, but if WF has too much ground to make up to land an elite class by this Winter, still think he can get it done for the HS class of 2022 or 2023.

Some things working against that this year. The Corona virus shutting down all the summer BB and hence in person evaluation opportunities. The revised NBA draft rules. The direct to G league option.

Which guys will go directly to the pros? Which lower ranked guys develop and belong up higher? Makes the evaluation work of the staff more important than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back