• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread, Robert McCray ('21) commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I understand that 17 YOs don't think the way adults do but CP3 was 4 coaches ago. Do the folks at WSSU use Earl Monroe and Stephen A. Smith in their recruiting pitch? If a kid aspires to be better than a legend (and think what a legend Paul could have been with another year or two at Wake), that's okay with me. It's a good alternative universe question - how good would the team have been that next season with Paul, J-Gray, E-Will, and a few role players.

We're his only offer???

Vern_Tessio

Sincerely

Last edited:
We're his only offer???

Maybe he’s a backup plan if we don’t get one of our top PGs, but his video ain’t bad at all. I’m guessing his size has made him a mid-major target. Nice handle, very nice left handed jumper, good passer and can take it to the basket. He probably needed AAU this spring and summer to get more attention.

I understand that 17 YOs don't think the way adults do but CP3 was 4 coaches ago. Do the folks at WSSU use Earl Monroe and Stephen A. Smith in their recruiting pitch? If a kid aspires to be better than a legend (and think what a legend Paul could have been with another year or two at Wake), that's okay with me. It's a good alternative universe question - how good would the team have been that next season with Paul, J-Gray, E-Will, and a few role players.

As to the first part, I think these kids think that the biggest barrier to getting to the NBA is exposure. I think they have confidence and each think they are skilled enough to get there and what they really need is the opportunity to expose those skills to the world. So the CP3 references are mostly saying ‘CP3 got the expose to make it to the NBA while at Wake and so can I!’

CP is going to be 2nd or 3rd team All-NBA this year. Earl Monroe is 75 years old.

CP is going to be 2nd or 3rd team All-NBA this year. Earl Monroe is 75 years old.

He’s also the NBA players association president, one of the NBA’s most visible current stars and just paid for our locker room. So yeah...pretty relevant.

Still one of favorite WAke bball moments was in the triple OT game at UNC. CP3 got the inbounds pass and waved away his teammates saying into the camera, "He can't guard me" about Felton.

He’s also the NBA players association president, one of the NBA’s most visible current stars and just paid for our locker room. So yeah...pretty relevant.

I get that Paul is a hero to some kids. My point is that his experience at Wake was far different from what any incoming recruit will have. He likely would be where he is now if he'd gone to any decent school. Watching Scottie Pippen's story as shown in "The Last Dance" was a great reminder for me that it is the player that's more important to future success, not the name on his college uniform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back