• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bball Recruiting Update

There was a tweet yesterday about a 4 star SG out of Texas who was high on Wake, any idea if that is true? None of the recruiting networks show us on his list - the guy is Je'lon Hornbeak, 2012 SG.

Link

Wow...and I didn't even have to pay $Texas to read that post.

Thanks DeaconKing!

Not sure if we want a separate thread for other ACC recruiting, but Maryland picked up Justin Anderson (#32 overall in Scout 2012) today. Huge get for them.

Why would we want another SG? that's the last thing we need.

We need talent period. I'll take it at guard or wherever we can get it.

Can we get a name of the post-grad we are supposedly looking at for next year? Do we have a good shot of getting him? What are the obstacles that they wouldn't tell us about on DS?

Thanks for setting up this site guys. I like where it is headed.

No news on the post grad front but the Juco route is closed. The academics proved to much of a hurdle to overcome

Still digging in to the Lekan situation. Have heard from a couple people involved that its only out of respect for Coach Battle that his people still listen to our pitches. Not looking good with him at all, we really need Katenda. We really need the Irish to lose soon - maybe today!

No news on the post grad front but the Juco route is closed. The academics proved to much of a hurdle to overcome

Still digging in to the Lekan situation. Have heard from a couple people involved that its only out of respect for Coach Battle that his people still listen to our pitches. Not looking good with him at all, we really need Katenda. We really need the Irish to lose soon - maybe today!

This makes me sad. :tear:

We definitely need a center but we really could use high talent players at any position given our current miserable state of affairs.

And Buzz made them look like a middle school girls team.

Speaking of which, another plus for this board: no TheReff.

Yep it's really a fair playing field when two of the five players miss most of the season.

I'd say the three who played did very well.

Yep it's really a fair playing field when two of the five players miss most of the season.

I'd say the three who played did very well.

I'm not going to contend that missing those players made a bad situation worse. But this is big boy college basketball, a coach has to work with what he has, and the players he had did very little to make anyone feel encouraged.

Maybe Buzz gets things working over the summer. I'd love for that to happen. But, from what I saw this season, they looked as bad at the end as they did in the beginning, and to me that has to be on the coach.

About the FRESHMAN class you said:
"Originally Posted by Deadbolt
And Buzz made them look like a middle school girls team."

that's absolutely, totally FOS.

Tony missed most of the year.

Melvin missed most of the year.

Travis was one inane vote from co-ROY. Clearly he didn't play like a "middle school girl".

JTT improved greatly as a team player over the season. Whether you liked his swagger or not. he certainly didbn't play like a "middle school girl"

Carson needs to toughen up, but he made some progress and showed signs of becoming a very good player.

If there was any place for optimism it was the play of the forsh who actually played healthy.

Your post about the freshman class couldn't be any more wrong.

Also, regarding our freshman looking like middle school girls:

In any normal world, we wouldn't have played all 5 of those freshman. No team gets a recruiting class of freshman and then gives every one of them meaningful minutes. We just didn't have two sticks to rub together as far as upperclassmen go. Ty's progression under Dino was abysmal, so he was only a junior in name. Ari was easily the worst player on the team. CJ and Gary are nice, but they are average ACC guards. Very average.

Also, I left out Nikita. I don't really have much to say about him.

To try and keep this thread away from the sort of garbage that populates the other board, what is the consensus or general feeling on what Melvin either WOULD'VE provided had he been healthy, committed, and "available" all season, or alternatively, what he MIGHT provide next year? [Redacted] said in a coach's show early on in the season that he was without his starting point guard and starting power forward (paraphrased), referring to Tony and Melvin.

So, is Melvin any good? His final RSCI ranking was a respectable #93. His Scout profile indicates he had offers from Baylor, Clemson, ECU, and South Carolina (in addition to WF). I'm just wondering how much of an excuse / explanation his absence was for our horrendous rebounding this past year and, in addition, what we can expect out of him in 2011-12 assuming we can't get a late signee.

If Melvin does return, he will have totally bought into the system and will have to prove himself every day in practice and in every game.

Given the way he started his career, I can't remember a player in the past decade who will hav less room for error or more to prove.

To try and keep this thread away from the sort of garbage that populates the other board, what is the consensus or general feeling on what Melvin either WOULD'VE provided had he been healthy, committed, and "available" all season, or alternatively, what he MIGHT provide next year? [Redacted] said in a coach's show early on in the season that he was without his starting point guard and starting power forward (paraphrased), referring to Tony and Melvin.

So, is Melvin any good? His final RSCI ranking was a respectable #93. His Scout profile indicates he had offers from Baylor, Clemson, ECU, and South Carolina (in addition to WF). I'm just wondering how much of an excuse / explanation his absence was for our horrendous rebounding this past year and, in addition, what we can expect out of him in 2011-12 assuming we can't get a late signee.

I forget who posted it, but somebody posted that going back to Colorado (maybe Air Force), [Redacted] teams have been ranked in the 300s in offensive rebounding.

DeaconKing off to an impressive start. Keep up the good work!

Back