• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bball Recruiting Update

I forget who posted it, but somebody posted that going back to Colorado (maybe Air Force), [Redacted] teams have been ranked in the 300s in offensive rebounding.

Well when he big men are running back to the defensive half of the court as soon as a shot is released that isn't at all surprising. Nice Xs and Os, Coach.

I disagree, I saw clumsy, flimsy players who looked like they had never played basketball before.

But, hey, you could be right and I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened. I actually hope you are right, and I'll gladly admit to being wrong if these players become what you say they will. If this time next year they're in this tournament (or the NIT for that matter) I will start a thread called RJ was right. I'd happily eat crow for a tournament birth.

About the FRESHMAN class you said:
"Originally Posted by Deadbolt
And Buzz made them look like a middle school girls team."

that's absolutely, totally FOS.

Tony missed most of the year.

Melvin missed most of the year.

Travis was one inane vote from co-ROY. Clearly he didn't play like a "middle school girl".

JTT improved greatly as a team player over the season. Whether you liked his swagger or not. he certainly didbn't play like a "middle school girl"

Carson needs to toughen up, but he made some progress and showed signs of becoming a very good player.

If there was any place for optimism it was the play of the forsh who actually played healthy.

Your post about the freshman class couldn't be any more wrong.

Truf. I would love to be dead wrong about how inept Buzz is.

To try and keep this thread away from the sort of garbage that populates the other board, what is the consensus or general feeling on what Melvin either WOULD'VE provided had he been healthy, committed, and "available" all season, or alternatively, what he MIGHT provide next year? [Redacted] said in a coach's show early on in the season that he was without his starting point guard and starting power forward (paraphrased), referring to Tony and Melvin.

So, is Melvin any good? His final RSCI ranking was a respectable #93. His Scout profile indicates he had offers from Baylor, Clemson, ECU, and South Carolina (in addition to WF). I'm just wondering how much of an excuse / explanation his absence was for our horrendous rebounding this past year and, in addition, what we can expect out of him in 2011-12 assuming we can't get a late signee.

Everything I heard indicated that Tabb was going to be a project due to his condition and possible motivation issues.

Also, regarding our freshman looking like middle school girls:

In any normal world, we wouldn't have played all 5 of those freshman. No team gets a recruiting class of freshman and then gives every one of them meaningful minutes. We just didn't have two sticks to rub together as far as upperclassmen go. Ty's progression under Dino was abysmal, so he was only a junior in name. Ari was easily the worst player on the team. CJ and Gary are nice, but they are average ACC guards. Very average.

Also, I left out Nikita. I don't really have much to say about him.

Unfortunately I think we've pretty much established that Ty's lack of progression had pretty much nothing to do with Dino and staff.

Ty needs to see a sports psychologist, or maybe even a mental psychologist. Goes from good to bad back to good way too often. Suggests he is pressuring himself too much, IMO.

About the FRESHMAN class you said:
"Originally Posted by Deadbolt
And Buzz made them look like a middle school girls team."

that's absolutely, totally FOS.

Tony missed most of the year.

Melvin missed most of the year.

Travis was one inane vote from co-ROY. Clearly he didn't play like a "middle school girl".

JTT improved greatly as a team player over the season. Whether you liked his swagger or not. he certainly didbn't play like a "middle school girl"

Carson needs to toughen up, but he made some progress and showed signs of becoming a very good player.

If there was any place for optimism it was the play of the forsh who actually played healthy.

Your post about the freshman class couldn't be any more wrong.

So, as much as I'm not a fan of Buzz, what rjkarl says is true. I'm not sold, but let's take a hard look at our roster and where our players are today. Buzz has much much coaching up to do

Travis - legit ACC Starter, even playing out of position
JT - decent backup - will develop into quality ACC starter, possibly as soon as next year
CJ - valuable backup; lacks experience to start at point at this level and is too small to be an effective starting SG at this level; be a great sparkplug of the bench - no way he starts for any other school
Carson - too weak to be an effective starter in ACC; would have provided decent backup minutes maybe. Starting him out of position was a big ask that he just wasn't ready for. And he was still the best we had. After next year will be very good for us.
Nikita - fights hard - if the rest of our team fought as hard as he does for 40 minutes, I think we have less blow outs. At the end of the day, not enough talent to be an impact ACC starter.
Ty - physically and mentally weak; has never proven that he's capable at competing at a high level day in and day out
Ari - lost in transition
Tony/Melvin - lack of practice and playing time, don't really have any idea what to expect out of these guys. on-court performance was underwhelming, but i don't know how you expect anything different.

We didn't have the horses to compete, no matter what Bzz did or didn't do. I don't think we will next year either, unless the freshmen coming in make a bigger impact than expected. Our core of Travis (SF), JT (SG), and Carson (PF) could be impactful if we get them a good supporting cast, a decent PG, and a big body C.

Carson's not a PF. Anybody that tall with that lack of lateral quickness or ability to guard on the perimeter better be ready to play C.

The staff should see if they can organize a pow wow between Fields nad Lekan to work out their differences.

The staff should see if they can organize a pow wow between Fields nad Lekan to work out their differences.
Is that the reason why we're having trouble gaining any traction with Lekan? I just assumed it was something academic (i.e., he has no interest in them), just judging by the type of schools he was considering in the end.

I think he was recruited as a PF but, as seems to be the case with many players who played high school ball in Massachusetts, isn't really ready to play, well, anywhere.

No news on the post grad front but the Juco route is closed. The academics proved to much of a hurdle to overcome

Still digging in to the Lekan situation. Have heard from a couple people involved that its only out of respect for Coach Battle that his people still listen to our pitches. Not looking good with him at all, we really need Katenda. We really need the Irish to lose soon - maybe today!

Thanks for the info King. To clarify, does that mean no new news on the post grad front or that we aren't pursuing a post grad period?

Great information here...I think Mel was going to be the second best freshman. He had good size when he got here and I thought he had real potential.

Carson was defs recruited to play the 4

"I definitely see myself playing the 4. I think that in my AAU season, my coach really pushed me to play on the perimeter and the high post. It really worked well, so I fell in love with it. But out of necessity, and to get ready for college, I’ve been working on my post game too the last few weeks and I will continue to while I hit the weights. But either way, I’ll do whatever I need to do. "

Back