• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BC @ WFU – Sat 10/22 – 3:30 ACCN

Biggest issue with the targeting rule is there should be multiple levels to it, like flagrant fouls in basketball. A standard, unintentional/non-vicious targeting would still warrant a penalty, but no ejection. Level 2 targeting with malicious intent and more forcible contact would warrant both the 15 yards and the ejection.

This is probably controversial, but I think the targeting rule for ejection/suspension with review is spot on. Sure, some of the upheld calls seem unintentional and not within the "spirit of the rule" but there are so many bad hits where guys just come in launching head first. The only thing I'd like to see different is to hold ball carriers to the same standard - lots of running backs particularly drop their head for impact and I think that should be more strictly called.

Except for when they use it to double down on an already awful call (see Ryan Smenda Jr in the Gator Bowl)

Biggest issue with the targeting rule is there should be multiple levels to it, like flagrant fouls in basketball. A standard, unintentional/non-vicious targeting would still warrant a penalty, but no ejection. Level 2 targeting with malicious intent and more forcible contact would warrant both the 15 yards and the ejection.
I believe this was the rule for a little bit before going to the "targeting = ejection" but I could misremember. Kind of like the 5 v. 15 yard facemask distinciton that went out the window.

This is probably controversial, but I think the targeting rule for ejection/suspension with review is spot on. Sure, some of the upheld calls seem unintentional and not within the "spirit of the rule" but there are so many bad hits where guys just come in launching head first. The only thing I'd like to see different is to hold ball carriers to the same standard - lots of running backs particularly drop their head for impact and I think that should be more strictly called.

Facemask should apply to the offense as well.

There are a decent number of illegal hands to the face calls on lineman. But true, you don’t see very many on the ball carrier when stiff arming and grabbing the facemask.

You people need to put this game behind us, as it is in the past and focus on the Louisville game, which is only 49.5 hours in the future.

You people need to put this game behind us, as it is in the past and focus on the Louisville game, which is only 49.5 hours in the future.
Nah man. We're litigating this right up to kickoff. Maybe beyond.

Back