• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BC @ WFU – Sat 10/22 – 3:30 ACCN

I don’t understand the purpose of these hypotheticals. The process of a turnover and establishing possession are both clearly established in college football, what would be the purpose of this new rule about fumbles? It’s unnecessary and illogical. Possession of a live ball can change infinity times until the game clock runs out, why would the game revert to a previously completed set of downs just because a team re-recovered the ball? The set of downs is over when you lose the ball, period. That’s how football works.

Tunnels MDMH: We need to change the system but people lack the imagination and will do so.

Sports board MDMH: I don’t understand the purpose of discussing how to improve the system. The system works how it works. Don’t question it.

Two comments:

1. If we had not had a clean recovery, I think the 'fall on the ball' argument has merit, but this is more like an interception in the middle of the field. It's not normal to say if 'if you intercept the ball, just fall down'.
2. Change of possession rule? Rule was applied correctly, nothing on that play that would suggest the rule should be changed. Shot clock in hoops resets if you lose the ball, then if you steal it back it resets again.

Tunnels MDMH: We need to change the system but people lack the imagination and will do so.

Sports board MDMH: I don’t understand the purpose of discussing how to improve the system. The system works how it works. Don’t question it.

You aren’t hypothesizing improvement, only confusion. The rules of possession make perfect sense as they are and don’t need changed in such a way.

The ACC Digital Network channel on Youtube posts a 20-25 minute condensed game on saturday night covering big plays and highlights. They have condensed games up for every game on Saturday except Wake/BC. What the hell ACC?

Two comments:

1. If we had not had a clean recovery, I think the 'fall on the ball' argument has merit, but this is more like an interception in the middle of the field. It's not normal to say if 'if you intercept the ball, just fall down'.
2. Change of possession rule? Rule was applied correctly, nothing on that play that would suggest the rule should be changed. Shot clock in hoops resets if you lose the ball, then if you steal it back it resets again.
1. Yeah I mean you don't know if you're going to scoop it cleanly or not. And then you have a defensive player who doesn't know how to properly hold a football juiced up on adrenaline being tackled from every direction on the field. Look at Davis when he picks it up. He immediately has it in the wrong hand and was either going to be tackled or pushed out of bounds right where he was anyway. I'm not blaming him, he's a defensive lineman. Can they even grip a football with the pads and gloves they wear on the line?

Anyway, not to belabor the point but outside of a corner jumping a hitch or something, if you are a lineman and there is a fumble fall down on it.

2. The rule is fine. Just sucks when it happens to your team that way.

Two comments:

Yes. Less end this one right now , please. Same rules since I was born. 1960

I just got around to watching the replay yesterday. Biggest takeaway from the commentators:
In addition to athletes/ celebrities who are immediately recognized and known by their first name; Tiger, Renaldo, Elton, Lebron, Elvis, etc , we can now add "Zay" to the list.

Wake has a bunch of athletes who graduated with majors in communications. Perhaps one of them who might already be working in broadcast media could be added to the ACC Network. Maybe a former all ACC punter who has done some broadcasts could be brought on to do some more, and even up the bias in the broadcasts.

He's an awful analyst and it's worse any time he does a BC game. It's not just the bias toward BC; he doesn't have a firm grasp of the rules, he doesn't analyze jack shit, he just has zero business being in the position he's in.
My favorite part of a Herzlich game is the incorrect stats/facts.

Herzlich: "Johnson is a senior that had a hard time getting playing time last year behind more experienced guys. He is a deep threat that can take it to the house on any play."

Reality: "Johnson is a junior that missed last season with a broken leg. He is a sure handed possession receiver that doesn't have the speed to outrun the defense."

He's an awful analyst and it's worse any time he does a BC game. It's not just the bias toward BC; he doesn't have a firm grasp of the rules, he doesn't analyze jack shit, he just has zero business being in the position he's in.

He needs to shave his stupid ass Mohawk. You’re not in college anymore, man. We all have to grow up at some point.

He needs to shave his stupid ass Mohawk. You’re not in college anymore, man. We all have to grow up at some point.
Yeah, I agree. I've always liked him because of his cancer battle and overcoming it, but the mohawk needs to go.

My favorite part of a Herzlich game is the incorrect stats/facts.

Herzlich: "Johnson is a senior that had a hard time getting playing time last year behind more experienced guys. He is a deep threat that can take it to the house on any play."

Reality: "Johnson is a junior that missed last season with a broken leg. He is a sure handed possession receiver that doesn't have the speed to outrun the defense."
Yep. His reaction on the roughing-the-passer call on Sam being an awful call is just ... OK, you can hate the rule. But in college and NFL this season, landing on a QB has been flagged so often that nobody should be surprised by it in late October. Yet, he's incredulous -- and then he's basically celebrating the INT on the next play.

Yep. His reaction on the roughing-the-passer call on Sam being an awful call is just ... OK, you can hate the rule. But in college and NFL this season, landing on a QB has been flagged so often that nobody should be surprised by it in late October. Yet, he's incredulous -- and then he's basically celebrating the INT on the next play.
Yeah, he was much too bias there when I watched the replay. The roughing the passer call has gotten ridiculous. You're basically asking 250lb to 300lb football players to try as hard as they can to get to the QB, but then basically stop a split second after the ball leaves their hands. If a rusher is a step or less from the QB, you really can't stop.

Yeah, he was much too bias there when I watched the replay. The roughing the passer call has gotten ridiculous. You're basically asking 250lb to 300lb football players to try as hard as they can to get to the QB, but then basically stop a split second after the ball leaves their hands. If a rusher is a step or less from the QB, you really can't stop.

I feel like every player safety rule is accused of this. Players will adapt over time, people will get used to the rule and in a few years the complaining will mostly have gone away.

I can't think of a single player safety rule that has been rolled back, and for good reason.

I feel like every player safety rule is accused of this. Players will adapt over time, people will get used to the rule and in a few years the complaining will mostly have gone away.

I can't think of a single player safety rule that has been rolled back, and for good reason.

QB sliding was tweaked, but I can't remember why.

Yeah, but I've seen it called where the defender is like inches away and his momentum takes the QB to the ground and they call roughing.

This is probably controversial, but I think the targeting rule for ejection/suspension with review is spot on. Sure, some of the upheld calls seem unintentional and not within the "spirit of the rule" but there are so many bad hits where guys just come in launching head first. The only thing I'd like to see different is to hold ball carriers to the same standard - lots of running backs particularly drop their head for impact and I think that should be more strictly called.

Back