• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ben Howland fired

Gottfried's son is a rising high school senior in Raleigh whose team just lost in the state title basketball game. Even if UCLA wanted him, which would be pretty bizarre, this would not be a great time for Gott to jump ship unless he's planning to leave his family behind for a year.

somehow i dont think that'd bother Gott too much.

Perhaps not, but I suspect Mrs Gottfried may have something to say about it.

Say Hey, barring a zombie attack at college basketball offices, you have an equal chance of coaching UCLA as Gottfried.

The local sports radio station here had a teaser about a coaching change and I so much wanted it to be us!:mad:

Say Hey, barring a zombie attack at college basketball offices, you have an equal chance of coaching UCLA as Gottfried.

gottfried and jamie dixon will have years of battles in LA

Sort of weak move on UCLA's part if it goes down. I live in LA and there has been speculation all year especially with Walton shitting on Howland every game he announced. The new arena is sweet yet it was half full. However, Howland turned the team around and had Jordan Adams not gotten hurt they had a real chance to win the Pac tourney and probably beat Minnesota. I like Howland. Dude went to three straight final fours. Had a few bad years because--shocker--a few recruits were dirtbags, but his squad now seemed like good kids. The difference here is that public pressure from alums and the community don't go unheard…of course, we're talking much more tradition and bigger market...

this year was a huge disappointment. ucla should have been a top 10 team all year.

Sort of weak move on UCLA's part if it goes down. I live in LA and there has been speculation all year especially with Walton shitting on Howland every game he announced. The new arena is sweet yet it was half full. However, Howland turned the team around and had Jordan Adams not gotten hurt they had a real chance to win the Pac tourney and probably beat Minnesota. I like Howland. Dude went to three straight final fours. Had a few bad years because--shocker--a few recruits were dirtbags, but his squad now seemed like good kids. The difference here is that public pressure from alums and the community don't go unheard…of course, we're talking much more tradition and bigger market...

Other than the one who has been lying about his age for who knows how long...

Talk about confusing, this is from the LA Times:

"Ben Howland denied a report Saturday night that he had been told he was out as UCLA's basketball coach.

Howland said he had not yet spoken to Athletic Director Dan Guerrero, who in the past has handled such personnel moves personally.

It is expected that Howland will be replaced, but Yahoo Sports reported that he had already been notified.

"Contrary to multiple media reports this evening, UCLA has not fired men’s basketball coach Ben Howland," said UCLA Athletics spokesman Nick Ammazzalorso."

Either he has been called or he hasn't.

He has been fired or or he hasn't.

Ben Howland will get a job in the east and we will envy that program for years to come. If somehow he gets into the ACC, that will be yet another program we will likely not exceed in the near future. We are building a program that has an upside of probably 9th or 10th in the new ACC. Makes you wonder what the fuck we are thinking...now is the time to grab a great coach.

Ben Howland will get a job in the east and we will envy that program for years to come. If somehow he gets into the ACC, that will be yet another program we will likely not exceed in the near future. We are building a program that has an upside of probably 9th or 10th in the new ACC. Makes you wonder what the fuck we are thinking...now is the time to grab a great coach.
Still holding out hope that RW is scouting our next coach right now since he canned Gaudio in April after the tourney.

If UCLA pulls a Wellman and waits past April 2, it will cost them an additional $2,000,000 to fire Howland.

If UCLA is dumb enough to fire Ben Howland, then Ron Wellman should spend whatever it takes to get Howland to become the head coach at Wake.

Trading a lifetime failure for a coach who has been to the Final Four more on his own than Wake has been in our history, a coach who has built two powerhouse programs, what a no-brainer trade that would be! But making such a trade would require Wellman to admit he made an historic mistake, which he won't do.

this year was a huge disappointment. ucla should have been a top 10 team all year.

Howland got them to 3 Final Fours I believe. All the other Pac 12 coaches combined have been to 1.

ucla has kinda sucked since his kerry keating left, who was his top assistant and ace recruiter

If UCLA is dumb enough to fire Ben Howland, then Ron Wellman should spend whatever it takes to get Howland to become the head coach at Wake.

Trading a lifetime failure for a coach who has been to the Final Four more on his own than Wake has been in our history, a coach who has built two powerhouse programs, what a no-brainer trade that would be! But making such a trade would require Wellman to admit he made an historic mistake, which he won't do.

After the shady way that Shabazz Muhammad ended up at UCLA I'm not sure I want Howland here either.

ucla has kinda sucked since his kerry keating left, who was his top assistant and ace recruiter

We have kinda sucked since RW fired Dino who had won over 60 games in 3 seasons. We have kinda sucked in the post season since RW let Dave Odom go.

Back