• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best “meal prep” meals

MHBDemon

Reaction score
I am taking an evening class in the fall semester in addition to full time work. Between that and kids’ sports schedule, I’m worried about the stress on my wife.

I’m looking to make food that i can either freeze or portion out for eating throughout the week.

What are your favorite meals to make on the weekend for eating during the week? Share recipes if you got them. Thanks.

We have two kids and both of us work. Each week I usually make 1 easy meal that can last 2 days and one thing in the crock pot, which also lasts two days so that’s 4 weeknights. Friday we get pizza or restaurant.

Crockpot is stuff like a ground meat vegetable stew, chicken chili or split pea ham soup. Stuff like that. Easily goes two days with the 4 of us. Prepare the night before then put it on the crockpot before leaving for work.

Other two day meals are pasta (I make a batch of tomato meat sauce, or sausage mushroom gravy etc in advance and just cook the pasta each day to serve with reheated sauce) or baked things like shepherds pie that only need to be cooked once and reheated.

This chef’s favorite is taco week - one big batch of meat to be reheated, just throw together some toppings while it’s reheating and have tacos for 4 days.

Just some ideas to think about. Nothing frozen in advance but they require minimal effort, thought and time and don’t taste like shit the next day. We add steamed broccoli or green beans to most of these to round out the nutrition.

Any “recipes” I have for these are mostly made up but lmk if you want any and I’ll think of something.

Also I try to avoid meal prepping stuff like chicken which always tastes gross to me when reheated. Idk how some people do the sheet pan chicken for days without having to choke it down after day 1. Maybe the reheated chicken aversion is like the soapy cilantro thing only some people detect.

Also I try to avoid meal prepping stuff like chicken which always tastes gross to me when reheated. Idk how some people do the sheet pan chicken for days without having to choke it down after day 1. Maybe the reheated chicken aversion is like the soapy cilantro thing only some people detect.

I cook mine with Penzey's Turkish seasoning. I cook it right to 165F so it's not overdone when I have to microwave D2 - 5.

I try an avoid chicken breasts in general. Can't stand that white meat nonsense.

Reactions: tic
mind over matter. I don't worry a ton about how my food tastes during the week. It's simply fuel to keep this glorious machine running.

I try an avoid chicken breasts in general. Can't stand that white meat nonsense.
It's not the best, but it's the best for you.

Fresh with the right spices is pretty good. Reheated, far less so.

I'll also do sardines (drained) with champagne vinegar, salt, pepper and parsley on a piece of whole wheat bread.

Anything like baked ziti, lasagna, etc. can be prepared and frozen for reheating. Don't cook the pasta all the way (I try to stop a bit before al dente) and add a little bit of extra liquid to the sauce.

Some nights chicken quesadillas with rice and beans are our best friend.

Frozen meatballs are also great. Use them with pasta or as a standalone easy protein source. Meatball subs, etc. are easy.

I've also been known to do a baked potato bar and have broccoli or something with it (either on the potatoes or on the side).

Salsa chicken in the crockpot is also an easy and solid protein source. Use for tacos, burritos, or on top of greens for a taco salad. Chicken breasts and a bottle of salsa, your choice.

Chili/soups is the easy answer.

Pulled pork is great - either carnitas in the crockpot or dry rub/bbq on the smoker. Smoked a 6 pounder yesterday for 9 hours at 250 that turned out 9.7/10 good.

Agree that chicken thighs are much better for leftovers than breast. We're big on "greens and grains" bowls with typically rice, salad greens, Peruvian chicken thighs, and whatever toppings you want (avocado, pickled onions, tomatoes, cukes, etc).

Chili/soups is the easy answer.

Pulled pork is great - either carnitas in the crockpot or dry rub/bbq on the smoker. Smoked a 6 pounder yesterday for 9 hours at 250 that turned out 9.7/10 good.

Agree that chicken thighs are much better for leftovers than breast. We're big on "greens and grains" bowls with typically rice, salad greens, Peruvian chicken thighs, and whatever toppings you want (avocado, pickled onions, tomatoes, cukes, etc).
Crockpot chili is one of the easiest and healthiest ways to get through a week.

Oh man, one pan Mexican chicken and rice is so good/so easy. Will try to find the recipe.

I generally grill the chicken for the week on Sunday and slice it fresh off the grill, then eat it cold on salads. I dump brown rice on the salads for carbs.

I’m also lucky my kids love black beans and rice. We eat that at least once a week.

Back