• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best 90’s Rock Radio Band

Which of these 90’s bands was the best?

• Total voters
a band I used to like a lot was Oleander. I have no idea how big they were nationally but the local rock station played them a lot.

a band I used to like a lot was Oleander. I have no idea how big they were nationally but the local rock station played them a lot.
That one song was big. Everything else, not so much.

I feel like one of those Soul Asylum albums might be good, too.

I may throw on some Mental Jewelry or Throwing Copper today. Jerry Harrison produced Throwing Copper??? Wild.

Wow, Jerry Harrison produced a lot of their early stuff. That's interesting, at least.

A lot of shit bands. Everclear and Collective Soul basically had one song that they somehow transformed into multiple hits.

Gin Blossoms and Soul Asylum had some good tunes, Runaway Train excluded.

Bush was a one-trick pony, but "Find my asshole brother," gets me fired up every time.

Live I never cared for, especially that first album. They did have a few bangers though, if you ignore the "Her placenta fell to the floor" lyric.

Offspring and Candlebox were pure dreck.

Silverchair had that one kickass song and the kid was like 16 when it hit. That always amazes me. I guess they stayed big in Australia, but not here in the USA.

Our Lady Peace needs a mention here. Not sure about the totality of their catalog, but they had a couple of really kickass tunes and are pretty much quintessential 90s.

They had to come up with new radio stations to play all this this shit.

A lot of shit bands. Everclear and Collective Soul basically had one song that they somehow transformed into multiple hits.

Gin Blossoms and Soul Asylum had some good tunes, Runaway Train excluded.

Bush was a one-trick pony, but "Find my asshole brother," gets me fired up every time.

Live I never cared for, especially that first album. They did have a few bangers though, if you ignore the "Her placenta fell to the floor" lyric.

Offspring and Candlebox were pure dreck.

Silverchair had that one kickass song and the kid was like 16 when it hit. That always amazes me. I guess they stayed big in Australia, but not here in the USA.

Our Lady Peace needs a mention here. Not sure about the totality of their catalog, but they had a couple of really kickass tunes and are pretty much quintessential 90s.

I used to love Our Lady Peace. Their greatest hits came out on vinyl for Record Store Day and I considered getting it (I bought Offspring's greatest hits at last year's Record Store Day).

I'm going to answer this for real and share my thought process as I go through the list.

Collective Soul - Hard no, they suck, full stop. Lead singer Ed is as big a mega-d-bag as you'll find. Their absolute suckitude is independent of Ed's d-baggery.
Gin Blossoms - NGL, for a few months in like, 93-94 I suppose, New Miserable Experience was high on my personal CD rotation. Today I look at them as generic 90s soft rock, completely indistinguishable from say, Toad the Wet Sprocket. Toad, btw, also very high on my cd playlist at that time. I was clearly going through a phase. Regardless, I'm going to use that brief period of time to give GB strong consideration for the checkmark on this poll.
Soul Asylum - They have a song called "Black Gold" which earns them some WFU cred. That's all I have to say about them, I've no love, no hate for them.
Everclear - They're ok. I've got no problem with them, I didn't buy any of their music nor turn up the radio when they came on.
Matchbox 20 - No, just no. Similar to Everclear they don't elicit any sort of reaction, plus or minus, from me.
Bush - I like them ok. At this point in time they're above Gin Blossoms but I never owned any of their music so never put them on a cd rotation.
Candlebox - Had to listen to a few songs to jog my memory of who they were. Wish I could go back to a state of not remembering them.
Silverchair - Commented on them in a prior post. Unmemorable is what it boiled down to.
The Offspring - I ironically liked a couple of their songs. That still counts as a like.
Live - Not objectionable and I might even turn the volume up 2 notches if they show up on radio, which puts them in the top tier of this list.

Having gone through that I'll go with Gin Blossoms for those 3 months I really was into them, something none of the other bands can claim.

Back