• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best 90’s Rock Radio Band

Which of these 90’s bands was the best?

• Total voters
Live played a show after mental jewelry and right before throwing copper. Tiny on campus (not wake) venue. Apparently they were tools that were pissed with the ladies of the student production team for not banging them. #hearsay

They had 2 really good 90s albums snd a third that was solid though. No other on this list had anything close.
Valid. Live probably doesn’t belong on this list.

Not a fan of Collective Soul but Marching Two Step? They rocked. (This was their name when they were playing bars during my time as an Atlanta resident.)

I had to look up Silverchair, the name didn't ring a bell but I recognized the second song Google returned (Ana's Song). The other stuff I sampled sounded like what I'd expect AI to return when given instruction to create a song you'd hear from an "alternative" station in the 90s.

Anyway, no Eve6 means I'm not voting for anybody.

Not a fan of Collective Soul but Marching Two Step? They rocked. (This was their name when they were playing bars during my time as an Atlanta resident.)

I had to look up Silverchair, the name didn't ring a bell but I recognized the second song Google returned (Ana's Song). The other stuff I sampled sounded like what I'd expect AI to return when given instruction to create a song you'd hear from an "alternative" station in the 90s.

You never heard Tomorrow? It was a pretty big hit.

Oh, yeah I have. That wasn't part of the 3 song sample I took initially.

I like this caption that showed up during the bridge.

1685912842401.png

I saw Eve6 at the Columbia (SC) crawfish festival in 2011. Definitely the best band ever named after an X-files character.

Tough call between Candlebox and Soul Asylum, both who could make a reasonable claim that they were legit primary grunge acts like those purposefully omitted.

Soul Asylum probably had the bigger hits, as Black Gold and Runaway Train were bigger than any of the others. But I went with Candlebox, partly because they always get shit on despite being somewhat decent, but primarily because You was the first radio song of that era to have an obvious edited F-bomb in a main line of the song (Jeremy's was more did he maybe just say that?, whereas You was the dude screaming it), which paved the way for songs like Closer and Killing In The Name Of to get on the radio.

There was a pocket of my high school soccer team that loved Live, so I got into one or two of those albums at the time, they were solid, I guess. I might revisit.

The big thing around then was Live opened for Tool in Tucson and the Tool crowd was absolutely brutal towards the Live guys. Much controversy. I forget, but feel like Tool might have cut their set short or something as a result. Could be mixing that up.

Anyway, Live. I remember hating that one video with the guy jumping around in slow mo but gave them a chance because of soccer bros and ended up being pleasantly surprised.

I still haven't been able to get into Arizona band Gin Blossoms, though, even though we thought Allison Road was a song about a road in Tucson (it's not). I might give that big album another chance though, the one with Hey Jealousy.

There was a pocket of my high school soccer team that loved Live, so I got into one or two of those albums at the time, they were solid, I guess. I might revisit.

The big thing around then was Live opened for Tool in Tucson and the Tool crowd was absolutely brutal towards the Live guys. Much controversy. I forget, but feel like Tool might have cut their set short or something as a result. Could be mixing that up.

Anyway, Live. I remember hating that one video with the guy jumping around in slow mo but gave them a chance because of soccer bros and ended up being pleasantly surprised.

I still haven't been able to get into Arizona band Gin Blossoms, though, even though we thought Allison Road was a song about a road in Tucson. I might give that big album another chance though, the one with Hey Jealousy.
Bevis and Buthead do "I Alone":

I absolutely hate the band Train, but their first hit was in 1998, so they don't really belong on this list of shitty 90's rock bands.

Gonna listen to some Better than Ezra today. Thanks for the reminder.

I like Friction Baby, better than Deluxe.

Back