• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best concert you've ever seen

Billy Joel Elton John face to face tour or whatever it was called.

Going to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers tomorrow night... pretty excited about that.

My favorite ever was Thrice and Brand New at the Disco Rodeo in Raleigh in 2007. One of the best nights of my entire life. Ray LaMontagne in Durham in 2008 was a close 2nd.

Sting at the Oakdale Theatre in Wallingford, CT, Thanksgiving 1999. He sounded awesome with a full stage of musicians (horns, strings, percussion) in a relatively small venue.

Rush's Time Machine tour last year. Very cool to hear Moving Pictures played.

Styx in Greensboro (first concert)
The Who at Carter-Finely (best concert in high school)
Dinosaur Jr and My Bloody Valentine in Chapel Hill (permanent ear damage)
Allman Brothers (Highs and lows, awesome show and then spent the night in jail)
Flaming Lips at the Disco Rodeo (left that show high on life)
Black Keys at the Disco Rodeo (those dudes just kick ass)

don't know if it's the best, but i had a lot of fun at a boyz ii men concert a couple years ago in fayetteville. i'm sure it was 1 part music, 2 parts nostalgia that made it so awesome.

I went to that Who show a CF. Good times. The Stones show there about the same time was really good too.

I saw the Stones on the Steel Wheels tour at Carter Finley in the early 90s. Wasn't even a huge Stones fan but the tickets were released literally when I just happened to be in the record store.

They put on a rockin' show.

Was there. Good show.

Seven pages and no love for The Dead??

Saw then at the Norfuk twice in the 80's?? Friend got a fedex from some where with instructions: eat the purple, do not drive. Dead played for over 3 hours, great shows.

Cut Copy @ 930 club in DC, spring 2009. The set list was sick... around 25 songs total.

I've seen them a few more times since then and they've become stingy with how many songs they do, and they've jacked up the price of tickets.

I've been to a lot of festivals. Tibetan Freedom Concert in DC sometime around 98 or 99 was memorable. RHCP closed out the show with a surprise performance. Also saw someone get struck by lightening there.

Also went to Woodstock 99. Lot of memories, both good and bad. But definitely memorable.

My musical tastes have fluctuated somewhat over the years. But I've always been a fan of the blues. I remember being particularly satisfied finally getting to see Buddy Guy tear it up a few years ago. Clapton at Hollywood Bowl really sticks out. Drove to Atlanta with a buddy to see Allman Bros one time, amazing. But partly just the whole trip is what makes it memorable. Just a few months ago I was completely blown away by Yonder Mountain Sting Band in Ft Lauderdale. Definitely one of the best shows I've seen in a while.

Last edited:
Phish 7/26/03
The Dead 8/11/04

The latter had Branford Marsalis as a guest. I've been to hundreds of shows I'm my life, and these stick out for showmanship and song selection in particular.

Still, Radiohead at Bonnaroo 06 takes the cake for me, followed closely by Eric Clapton w/ Derek Trucks in Charlotte.

The Rolling Stones with The Strokes opening at RFK in 2002.

Widespread Panic, Phillips Arena 12-31-99. Tons of special guests, Dottie Peoples was amazing.

Lalapalooza, New Orleans, 1996. First large scale festival and it blew my mind.

Dropkick Murphys - N. Myrtle Beach 2006.

Great opening bands in Sick of it All and The Tossers. I was in the pit for the entire Murphys set about 10 feet from the stage. It was equal parts exhilaration and just trying to not get trampled.

Bouncing Souls - Cat's Cradle 2005?

Great concert, but the encore cover of Folsom Prison Blues really put it over the top.

Led Zeppelin in Raleigh, spring of 1970. Second place to Eric Clapton a few years ago in Chalottesville with JJ Cale and Derek Trucks.

Forgot about Taylor Swift in Chattanooga circa 2008. Was surrounded by teenie bobbers and their parents holding a sign that read "Taylor: You're the reason for the cum drops on my guitar".

Back