• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best defensive preformance by a WFU big man since Duncan

Too bad for Walker that he rejected the proposal that he red-shirt the 2008-9 season. He is finally starting to gain enough strength to be an effective high level D-1 player. He could use another college season to develop his game. Can't teach height, and Walker is quick and mobile for a 7 footer.

I meant what I posted.

For the intents of this thread (or for most any other discussion), there are more than two classifications of players. Both Aminu and Johnson were combo forwards (recruited as SFs) who played more on the wing than in the post, on both ends.

Lolz, Appetite gets testy when he's wrong.

Yeah, I made it through the snow and whatnot. The trek in was sort of gross, but well worth it to see us play well and win in person.

Seeing Ty from so close, the height and huge wingspan are obvious and contribute greatly to any success he has. The other thing is how quickly he gets off the ground. He's doing so much better holding his ground until a shot is released, rather than going for pump fakes. This allows him to stay in position and not pick up fouls while still blocking the shot.

A quick look at Kenpom today has him blocking 15.5% of our opponent's 2-pt attempts this year, which would be good for #2 in the country if he had enough minutes to qualify.

To Pilch's point about strength, this is showing up as well. He is going up high and ripping away rebounds that in past years would have hit his hands and either been dropped or knocked away because he was not strong enough. I tend to agree that him not redshirting will really hurt next year when we have enough talent elsewhere, and could be the difference between an NIT bubble (where I expect us to be) and NCAA bubble team, as the gap betwee the two is 2-3 wins with the current set up of each tournament. Such is life.

He's playing great on defense now. It would be great to see him make a comparable contribution on offense. He's capable of doing it when he puts his mind to it.

Ty-Walker-dunk-L.jpg

I sure wish he had redshirted too ... I also wish that Dino and Buzz had been able to get him on the floor a little more over the last two years. You can't underestimate the experience factor/learning curve.

Back